EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 8 Dec 2005, 01:31 PM   #16
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by frrick
"My point is that it doesn't matter how many spam emails have Runbox.com in them "

Of course it matters, when they clog your mailbox every day .
As long as the user has the option of blocking any domain they'd like then your concern is addressed. Such a feature is typically referred to as a Blacklist or Blocklist (which Runbox supports).

I don't think a service should decide which domains a user is or isn't allowed to receive from. At least I wouldn't want my email service deciding who I can or can't receive messages from.
Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2005, 10:52 PM   #17
frrick

Odd

Odd...I use runbox and you suggest that I block all mail that arrives that has a runbox address, legitimate or not. Very odd.
frrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2005, 11:25 PM   #18
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
frrick,

Nobody is suggesting that you, or anyone else, should block all email from the Runbox domain. However, the user having the option to block a domain is better than a service making such a decision for the users.

Spam is often virus-generated using various email services' domains in the from-address of the messages. Runbox is just one of many, many email services affected.

Personally I've never received a spam message "from" a Runbox address in a Yahoo or Hotmail account. On the other hand, a quick check in my Runbox Spam folder shows twice as many spam messages "from" Hotmail addresses as Runbox addresses.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2005, 01:15 AM   #19
frrick

"However, the user having the option to block a domain is better than a service making such a decision for the users."

I am sure you would agree that it would be "better" if I did not received so much spam with runbox addresses, fake or otherwise.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 01:48 AM   #20
Rizlam

I hate to drag this thread back on topic, but anybody able to explain the lag issue, or maybe even issue 4? (which is specific to me)?

Stephen
Rizlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2005, 06:48 AM   #21
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
I am sure you would agree that it would be "better" if I did not received so much spam with runbox addresses, fake or otherwise.
How do you suggest this be done?

Regards,
Rich
Old 9 Dec 2005, 06:57 AM   #22
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Rizlam
I hate to drag this thread back on topic, but anybody able to explain the lag issue, or maybe even issue 4? (which is specific to me)?

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

1. Lag on emails.

Geir posted this earlier:

"Points 1, 3, and 5 are being addressed and we expect them to be resolved with the new servers we are installing."

4. (very specific to me) The webmail interface - both www.runbox.com and mobile.runbox.com - no longer work with the Opera browser used on Symbian devices.

Have you contacted Opera about this? If so, what did they say? FYI, Runbox and Opera use to be in the same building in Oslo.

Regards,
Rich
Old 9 Dec 2005, 03:26 PM   #23
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Runbox web interface running noticably faster tonight. Almost snappy.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2005, 10:51 AM   #24
Essential Contributor

You can't blame Runbox for spam using their domain. Email providers can only do so much to prevent their name being used as a spam address. I've been spammed by my own domain, and I know I didn't send it!
541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2005, 11:51 PM   #25
Zedd

Quote:
"We also inform them that Runbox is not a source of spam and that we enforce very strict anti-spam policies."

This may be true; however, runbox addresses are being used to send tons of spam; most of the spam I receive, and its excessive, comes from so-called runbox "addresses".

I can see how others then would block runbox addresses.
This is unfortunate. However, I have never used a e-mail service that gave me so much spam from its own service addresses. (Again, I'm not saying these are legitimate runbox addresses; but it is a major problem that I have not seen addressed.)
I don't have this problem at all, then again i use the Runbox domain addresses very little. Whis is also the reason why I do not get any spam "from" Runbox.

Spammer always FAKE the originating domain, and they very often fake this to your own domain. Trying to make the mail appear as if it is from your sysadmin or similar.
That is why you get spam from runbox addresses not because they are being sent from runbox addresses.
Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:16 AM   #26
frrick

."Again : I repeat: I NEVER said the spam was coming from legitimate runbox addresses. This is what I said:

"Again, I'm not saying these are legitimate runbox addresses; but it is a major problem that I have not seen addressed."

The only point I was making, as I said, is that it is unfortunate. I never used a e-mail service that gave me so much spam with spammers using its own domain.

I KNOW these are not from runbox addresses.

And what I said was that I can understand others' reaction. For example, if I were using Yahoo Mail, and I received 35 spam each day from a runbox account, legitimate or not, I would just block the runbox domain. In fact, I have done this in the past.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 07:38 AM   #27
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
frrick,

Your posts make it sound like you think it's Runbox's fault that spammers are using the Runbox domain and that you think there is something Runbox can do about it.

Is that what you meant?

If not then we just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Regards,
Rich
Old 11 Dec 2005, 07:42 AM   #28
frrick

No, that's not what I meant to say. Just forget it.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:15 AM   #29
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards,
Rich
Old 22 Dec 2005, 08:02 AM   #30
deltajets

1/I run several small business emails through the runbox system and hardly receive any spam, despite having websites with emails ready for spam robots to pick off.

Sure a few people I know don't receive a few emails i.e some hotmail addresses, but there is usually an alternative and I accept that its not runboxs fault that the idiots who are configuring these other servers are choosing the easy option in blocking everything. hey you get what you pay for and hotmail etc are FREE, the people who have hotmail and others are suffering too since they don't receive their email.

2/Lag, what lag, i regularly foward information emails to the appropriate business of mine and it all arrives well within 30 seconds.

Remember runbox doesn't control the web the same as the royal mail doesn't control the world postal system.

3/I think the main problem is that some people are angry and frustrated with spammers and the crap that they cause cause and want a miracle cure.

Spammers are the ones who jam everybodies email with crap, clog the fibers with crap and cause email blocking.

Stoning to death ought to be compulsory due to the sheer amount of time wasted by them.
deltajets is offline   Reply With Quote