EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Dec 2014, 03:21 PM   #76
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
Yes it's late but that may have a lot to do with the opera thing, so it doesn't seem worth giving the current owners a hard time. They appear to be addressing the issue. My experience is that I've not been happy with google's and apple's syncing which is the grand total of my in depth experience. I looked at memotoo and fruux who offer robust dav based services but no email. I don't know of any other providers that do this all in one package beyond the monster internet corporations that want to rifle through your data.
The need for proper syncing of contacts with external mail clients has been urgent since long before the Opera buyout, and long before tablets and smartphones. it was simply never assigned the priority it warranted.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2014, 10:19 AM   #77
steventay

we have to wait and wait and wait
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 07:14 AM   #78
geo909

I think waiting would be fine if we had some updates every now and then. I really don't like to complain nor I feel entitled to have the developers working every single feature I desire, but syncing the address book sounds like a very important think that deserves a high priority. Once this is done, I'll definitely upgrade and start spreading the word.

Please, any update on the ETA?
geo909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 07:27 AM   #79
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo909 View Post
I think waiting would be fine if we had some updates every now and then. I really don't like to complain nor I feel entitled to have the developers working every single feature I desire, but syncing the address book sounds like a very important think that deserves a high priority. Once this is done, I'll definitely upgrade and start spreading the word.
It is a high priority - its been my #1 task for the last two weeks.

As for updates, not sure what you want. I have my own contacts synced with my Android phone, and its mostly working. I'm chasing down a heap of data conversion issues (vCard is even less standard than iCal) and I've been dealing with some stability issues in Cyrus as well.

Quote:
Please, any update on the ETA?
We're still aiming for a public beta before the end of the month.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:28 AM   #80
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
It is a high priority - its been my #1 task for the last two weeks.

As for updates, not sure what you want. I have my own contacts synced with my Android phone, and its mostly working. I'm chasing down a heap of data conversion issues (vCard is even less standard than iCal) and I've been dealing with some stability issues in Cyrus as well.

Yes, vCard is "highly flexible". Can you please try to support one aspect to the maximum degree possible. Often, there are multiple Work Phone Numbers or Work Email Addresses, to take an example. It is really a drag if only one is retained during a sync.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:32 AM   #81
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Can you please try to support one aspect to the maximum degree possible. Often, there are multiple Work Phone Numbers or Work Email Addresses, to take an example. It is really a drag if only one is retained during a sync.
Fortunately addresses, phone numbers and email addresses are fairly well standardised. Support for multiples of each of those is in and working pretty well.

The really hard stuff is in chat and social profiles. There's no standard across platforms so juggling it is really difficult. I think its going to be imperfect in the first cut, and improved over time.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 03:12 PM   #82
aqeeliz

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Woooooooooooooo!

(it was supposed to have lot less ooo's, but the forum requires alteast 10 charcters in a post, not counting quotes)
aqeeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 07:34 PM   #83
eduardoduca

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam View Post
End November to Mid December 2014, my guess....
Well... I think the day after tomorrow is already mid december and still no even beta announcement
eduardoduca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 07:52 PM   #84
eduardoduca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaparst View Post
Agreed. I am feeling a bit stupid for paying for five years of premium without a contacts solution.

I have to manually type in the phone number every time I want to call someone or send SMS. And the LDAP doesn't work for me at all on Android.
I feel the same here...
I was hoping a beta in beginning of 2014.. but the ETA was pushed forward at each deadline annonced. This was a little bit frustrating, because I came to here to a pay email account not only for security and privacity, but to replace all my services (contact, email, calendar, tasks) in one place, with actuall (modern) setup to sync with mobile, laptop, email clients, etc..
So... I think is normal to feel stupid to pay for anything incomplete when you have many complete ones for free (at cost of privacity I guess).
I've tryed to use ownCloud in my router (openWRT) and in my RaspberryPI (ArchLinux), but in both case (even in old version) is too slow. And ive tryied also "Fruux", but... I dont know... i feel no diference (in safety of my data) than using gmail.
But... I have waited until here... I could wait ultil my pro account expire. If until then we still have no contactsync (not LDAP and not R/O) I think I'm definitely going on the search for another solution.
If someone will start to search too, I let my 2cents... do not try "Zoho".. its terrible, even in paid.. they still using MSSync for Calendar and Contacts and the support....
Old 9 Dec 2014, 07:58 PM   #85
eduardoduca

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
It has long been my view that Fastmail has only two critical weaknesses. Contacts sync is one, and the lack of emergency rapid support is the other.

I have needed to move several clients away from Fastmail because of the lack of a workable contacts sync. This is a pity, because I do trust the overall robustness of their infrastructure, their strong support for personalities, and their spam management (all better than most of the competition).
I agree with all of this (well not all... I've never had needed for support before I guess)... And it for theses strong points Im still here, wainting for the contact syncs that works.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:00 PM   #86
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Zoho doesn't support *DAV for sync.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:00 PM   #87
eduardoduca

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
I just received this from fastmail support. I hope it's accurate.
Well, I dont want to let you down, but I received the very same message (exactly the same I guess) when I try to ask the support for this last year.
It was promiced for "next month or two" I guess..
Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:26 PM   #88
eduardoduca

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Zoho doesn't support *DAV for sync.
Yes... I know..
I dont say that.. I said to AVOID zoho, because they still using a old kind of MS Active Sync (Exchange I guess)...
Worse than that, is the support of they... its pretty annoying a lot of people in support (i have received from many different people, all indian I guess by the name), and no one knows anything.. ever response was a standartized (or automatized) ones..
Old 11 Dec 2014, 01:38 PM   #89
steventay

i will let the account lap wait wait so long...
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2014, 05:15 AM   #90
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
RobN Posted something interesting on G+... Beta of CardDav Beta is being readied!

https://plus.google.com/109296784249...ts/3iuooxJeQhh
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote