EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:01 AM   #1
Ginster

Good Android Contact App working with fastmail

Hi all,
do you know a good Androis Contact App that is working with fastmail (Adress synchronisation)?
Ginster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Aug 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
yassarali
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Fastmail currently do not support Address Book synchronization, so what you are looking for is not quite possible.

However, there is support for LDAP. So, if you install an "LDAP Client" in your Android and configure it using the settings mentioned in the "LDAP" section here:

http://fastmail.fm/help/remote_email...and_ports.html

, you can access your fastmail address book through that. But its read-only, so you will not be able to add/edit any addresses to the fastmail address book. You would only be able to search for contact details in your fastmail address book. Note sure if that would be helpful for you.

-Yassar.
yassarali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2010, 04:16 AM   #3
Ginster

Thank you Yassar.
I hope Fastmail will support Address Book synchronization soon.
Ginster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
sergeymk

a key feature

Just a heads up to the Fastmail.fm folks that you are losing customers due to lack of a sensible easy solution for seamless two-way synchronization of smartphone address books with your service.

I am a big proponent of Fastmail and I have been a paying enhanced member for years. I converted my family to it (we use a virtual domain). Now slowly my family members are starting to defect -- and I can see that the real reason is phone integration. My brother switched to Gmail after he got his Android phone, because it effortlessly synchronizes contacts between phone and webmail. My parents look like they will be next. They will be getting smartphones in several months, and despite my love of Fastmail I will have to move them to Gmail because it will allow them to keep a single addressbook, synchronized between their e-mail account and their phone (and their desktop computer). This solves the age-old problem of having different contact info in different places, -- an issue that will snowball over time unless you have enough time on your hands to manually keep things the same across devices, applications and platforms.

If Fastmail is to thrive it will NEED to think about phone integration. I know it won't be easy but it's the next step for you guys. The smartphone revolution of the past several years is reshaping the e-mail market and you ignore this trend at your peril.
sergeymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2011, 04:16 AM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

While FM does not have an official solution, see
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=60354
for Jeremy Howard's solution that uses Google as a conduit.

Jeremy's sync does not work precisely the way I want, as it syncs with 'Other Contacts' on Gmail, rather than the main contacts that Google's sync uses. Thus, the sync from FM to the phone requires a manual step.

[For those who do not know, Jeremy Howard was the original FM founder, and has good credibility in any solution he proposes.]
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2014, 09:49 PM   #6
hnaparst

Still no progress

Jeremy Howard's link is down, so there is no solution. Six years after the Fastmail came out with LDAP, still no progress.
hnaparst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2014, 11:49 PM   #7
steventay

Even since I start to use android phone.

Gmail become my main for all.

It has email contact calender tasks sync and I use gnotes for notes in gmail

Not only gmail apps is so much better.
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2014, 01:10 AM   #8
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaparst View Post
Jeremy Howard's link is down, so there is no solution. Six years after the Fastmail came out with LDAP, still no progress.
CardDAV is coming, please see the CardDAV topic.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2014, 01:11 AM   #9
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventay View Post
Not only gmail apps is so much better.
Yes, we know now. Google Mail is great, Fastmail isn't.

Maybe this is a good moment to stop trolling a subforum with users who *do* like Fastmail and don't want every discussion to turn into a "Fastmail is missing X, Y is better" thread?

Sorry for being so blunt .
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2014, 02:37 AM   #10
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldk View Post
Sorry for being so blunt .
Thank you for your bluntness. And don't feel bad about it. You said what needed to be said, and others have been wanting to say for a long time.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote