EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Jan 2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
LuxSci renewal

Last year I signed up for LuxSci including the premium archive where emails are stored as a backup copy that cannot be deleted. I cannot remember exactly when I ordered the account but the domain that came with it expires in 3.5 months time.

I am satisfied with LuxSci especially for its archive, and so obviously I wish to renew my account. Does anyone know how long in advance you need to sign in and make the payment to be sure the renewal goes smoothly?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jan 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I suggest logging in to your account administration and making sure they have your credit card information. I think you can set your account to auto renewal. I've had account with Luxsci for about 3 years and have had no difficulties with renewal. I think it's 2 weeks in advance of expiration, but I'm not sure. It's seamless to me.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2010, 12:42 AM   #3
kangas

Representative of:
LuxSci.com
FYI:

* Your LuxSci account automatically renews if you do not explicitly close it.

* You will be invoiced via email for the new year 30 days before the renewal date; you can cancel any time in those 30 days without need to pay for any part of the new year/.

* You have a net-30 on payments; so as long as you pay within 30 days of your invoice, you will have no late fees.

* Only if your account is delinquent do you have any risk of losing data.

Delinquent accounts are ones that have not paid in 30 days (usually we are lenient up to 83 days, depending on the account history and service type). We make many attempts to get in touch with such accounts via phone and email to determine if they want to pay, close their account, etc.

Generally, you are only at risk of your account being suspended on your and your data being list if you "go away" and do not respond to LuxSci for a few months, or if you change all of your contact information and ignore all attempts at contact to the old information. Such people are also subject to collections agencies.

The upshot is that even if you don't pay until a little after the beginning of your new term, you will be fine. If you have any questions, we recommend opening up a support ticket in the LuxSci web portal.
kangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Sherry

Moderator:

kangas, as you stated that you worked for LuxSci in post #29 in this thread I did ask you to PM Edwin for Representative status. Perhaps you missed my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
[Moderator:]

Kangas, would you please send a PM to Edwin to see if you should be given Service Representative status. Thank you.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
The purpose is to renew but my card data have changed (got a new one basically) ; I at the moment havenīt got a stable internet connection at home but will have within the coming weeks. Hence why I wanted to know if you have to enter your card's data X weeks before renewal was due, or if it's OK as long as you enter it before the renewal date (even if only the week before as an example) ...

Thanks for responses
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 02:06 AM   #6
digp
Master of the @

why are you using luxsci - for business or personal? i found their interface fiddly and awkward to use. they are also expensive.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 04:20 AM   #7
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
why are you using luxsci - for business or personal? i found their interface fiddly and awkward to use. they are also expensive.
I've been with them for a couple of years, run a couple of domains through them and my personal email. Yes they are pricey but their service, reliability is unmatched IMO. When the very few times I have had to use their support the response has been well under an hour and it's resolved quickly. I also use their premium anti-spam and it's the best I have ever found.

So why do I use them? Simple, they're the best email provider I've ever found.
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2010, 12:02 PM   #8
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I agree. LuxSci is exceptionally good.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2010, 09:18 PM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

They had better be exceptionally good for what they charge:

Quote:
Email hosting
1 user(s)
WebMail services for all users
8 GB total disk space
Email for 1 of your own domain(s)
POP and secure POP for all users
IMAP and secure IMAP for all users
SMTP and secure SMTP for all users
Premium Email Filtering for all users
Premium Email Archival for all users. 1-year(s) retention
You will provide DNS services for your domain(s)
Enterprise WebAide license(s) for all users
Special Offer - First WebAide license is free.
Yearly contract term with price discount

Your Price: $318.99 per year — show price breakdown
..WOW! I pay $27/year for Fastmail with the same features. Plus they provide DNS service, basic web hosting, photo galleries, file storage...

</FMfanboy>
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2010, 02:13 AM   #10
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
They had better be exceptionally good for what they charge:

..WOW! I pay $27/year for Fastmail with the same features. Plus they provide DNS service, basic web hosting, photo galleries, file storage...

</FMfanboy>
Aaah yeah right

I pay $99 a year

BTW I've also had and still maintain a FM account so I believe I can provide a decent comparison. LuxSci exceeds Fastmail in the area of speed, reliability and ESPECIALLY support.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 02:25 AM   #11
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I did the custom quote -- that's what it came up with. (Don't shoot the messenger!) You probably have the standard 2GB -- they charge $180/year to increase storage up 6GB (yikes!).

Speed? Not likely.. FM is pretty fast. Reliability.. Not likely.. Never lost a single email. Support? VERY likely. FM is definitely understaffed. I pay $27, you pay $99 -- for over three times the cost of your quote and eleven times the cost of mine, I'll wait the extra day for a response.

I trialed Luxsci, so I also feel I am able to provide a decent comparison. For my money (and the fact I only use FM for personal email), there is no comparison.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 02:45 AM   #12
marcus0263

Quote:
I did the custom quote -- that's what it came up with. (Don't shoot the messenger!) You probably have the standard 2GB -- they charge $180/year to increase storage up 6GB (yikes!).

Speed? Not likely.. FM is pretty fast. Reliability.. Not likely.. Never lost a single email. Support? VERY likely. FM is definitely understaffed. I pay $27, you pay $99 -- for over three times the cost of your quote and eleven times the cost of mine, I'll wait the extra day for a response.

I trialed Luxsci, so I also feel I am able to provide a decent comparison. For my money (and the fact I only use FM for personal email), there is no comparison.
Yes I have the standard 2 GB, if you need more than that for personal email storage you seriously need to clean up some of your email

Like I said I use both Fastmail and LuxSci, have for a long time, not just "trial" accounts. So I believe I can provide an objective opinion on both. As for "extra" day for response from FM's support, well extra day if you're lucky. My experience has been more like around 3 days, with LuxSci it's well under an hour, more like within 20 min's. Plus there have been times with Fastmail that they don't respond at all, that is unsatisfactory in my book. But Fastmail is cheap enough to maintain an account for they are fairly reliable and much better in my book than Runbox (which I once had an account with for a couple of years) or any of the "free" offerings as with gmail for example.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 03:02 AM   #13
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus0263 View Post
Yes I have the standard 2 GB, if you need more than that for personal email storage you seriously need to clean up some of your email
Never said I USED that much space. Hehehe!

Quote:
As for "extra" day for response from FM's support, well extra day if you're lucky. My experience has been more like around 3 days, with LuxSci it's well under an hour, more like within 20 min's. Plus there have been times with Fastmail that they don't respond at all, that is unsatisfactory in my book.
I would definitely consider Luxsci if my business/livelihood depended upon it -- otherwise I couldn't justify the extra cost. Yet if money weren't a factor, I think I'd lean towards an Exchange account..

Sorry, very off-topic here..
Old 16 Jan 2010, 03:10 AM   #14
marcus0263

Quote:
Never said I USED that much space. Hehehe!
Then don't exaggerate the price

Quote:
I would definitely consider Luxsci if my business/livelihood depended upon it -- otherwise I couldn't justify the extra cost. Yet if money weren't a factor, I think I'd lean towards an Exchange account..

Sorry, very off-topic here..
I send my domain admin accounts through them also and my personal email account. The reliability and level of support they provide to me is well worth around $10 a month, what one would pay for one trip to Taco Bell
Old 16 Jan 2010, 03:31 AM   #15
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Then don't exaggerate the price
The comparison was of similar features (8GB on Luxsci and 8GB on Fastmail) -- my personal use of those features had no bearing on my price comparison. Likewise, your $99/year feature set does not provide things that my $27/year FM account does (i.e. domain hosting -- which Luxsci charges approximately $17/year for, and advanced virus/spam filtering which Luxsci charges approximately $15/year for).

Quote:
The reliability and level of support they provide to me is well worth around $10 a month, what one would pay for one trip to Taco Bell
I suppose, in this particular case of email providers, I respectfully have a different opinion. I have no issues with paying $10/month for a reliable email service -- however I'm not willing to pay $10/month if I can get nearly identical service for $2/month.