EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Dec 2017, 09:16 PM   #1
Just Bill

So I noticed Lavabit is back in business

Is Lavabit still located in the U.S.? Seems to me that ProtonMail would be the way to go at this point.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Dec 2017, 10:35 AM   #2
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Ladar did bring back Lavabit. From what I gather, he felt that the current political climate would be less inclined to drag him through the mud again. The service is not even partially what it was before. Support Ladar, he's cool people, but yes ProtonMail is more today what Lavabit was before what I can only describe as sexual assault by government.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2018, 10:17 AM   #3
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

What's the "Redeem a promo code" to sign up?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2018, 09:43 AM   #4
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

And didn't Lavabit use to be free?
Old 7 Nov 2018, 10:52 AM   #5
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Anything new with this?

Anyone back using Lavabit?

And what's with the promotion code?
Old 7 Nov 2018, 08:13 PM   #6
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

1) Lavabit no longer has a free level.

2) Don't know anything about the promo code or how much it saves someone using it (whatever it is or however one obtains it).

3) Given the history, why would anyone want to use Lavabit now, except perhaps as a symbolic statement of some kind? One might as well hang a sign around one's electronic neck saying in red letters "Surveillance subject reporting for duty." Is electronic "virtue signaling" really worth the risk and the anxiety? And who would be impressed? Who's the intended recipient? "Hey look at me! I use the reconstituted Lavabit!" is not exactly a fetching pick-up line, even in a left-wing Internet café.

4) As has been cogently pointed out on these forums by (among others) Rick Romero, Lavabit was never all that good a provider before the Great Event, and Ladar's behavior was not what it was cracked up to be. He was no martyr to privacy.

5) Better to leave well enough alone rather than bend over for the privilege of needlessly attracting the interest of three-letter snoops and paying for the privilege into the bargain.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote