EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Firewall access

Rob, do these need changing your end to fastmail.com

Firewall access

If you are behind a firewall, some service ports may be blocked. FastMail has a special proxy system whereby you can access each service (POP, IMAP, SMTP, etc) through any port number. All these servers use SSL/TLS. The server names are:
IMAP imaps-proxy.messagingengine.com
IMAP (alt namespace) imapalts-proxy.messagingengine.com
POP pops-proxy.messagingengine.com
SMTP smtps-proxy.messagingengine.com
LDAP ldaps-proxy.messagingengine.com

If you use these server names, you can use any port to access these services. Commonly open ports include 80, 21, 25 and 443.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:02 PM   #2
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
No. They're the same for now. We're undecided as to whether we want to support proxy services under new fastmail.com names or discontinue them entirely. We're currently collecting usage data to help inform a decision.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:04 PM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Ok thank you....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:44 PM   #4
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
No. They're the same for now. We're undecided as to whether we want to support proxy services under new fastmail.com names or discontinue them entirely. We're currently collecting usage data to help inform a decision.
Keep in mind that even if not many are using this feature (I have in the past, but don't currently) it's a very cool USP over competing services. A feature that, if anything, probably should have been marketed more. I know it's one of the things I mention when people ask me what makes Fastmail unique.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 08:45 PM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
Keep in mind that even if not many are using this feature (I have in the past, but don't currently) it's a very cool USP over competing services. A feature that, if anything, probably should have been marketed more. I know it's one of the things I mention when people ask me what makes Fastmail unique.
That is a very good point. Some features influence decision making even when currently not needed. This is a good example.

I think I may have mentioned before that Fastmail doing everything by the numbers, no longer bothering to consult the client base, is not IMHO leading to optimum decisions.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 09:02 PM   #6
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
That is a very good point. Some features influence decision making even when currently not needed. This is a good example.
Indeed, it is, and considering feature differentiation in the market is definitely something we look at. Numbers are important, but they're never the entire story.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote