EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Nov 2010, 12:26 AM   #1
nyuszika45

IMAP on Mail program not sending

Occasionally, my (MAC) Mail program would refuse to send mail through the fastmail imap a/c - I'd just tell it to do so and it would go. Beginning last night, it won't send anything through it at all.

Now, one of the key variables might be available CPU space as I'm simultaneously erasing and cleaning data from an attached external drive and this takes over most processes (registers at 115% some times) and CPU as it leaves only 2-15% available.

Curiously, I've also got an SMTP server listed and I can send through that address.

I think it is apparent that the space and CPU consuming process is the culprit in this IMAP sending problem, but I would appreciate rational alternative suggestions, please.

Update: my reasoning is faulty, again. I have virtually nothing running and IMAP mails service is intermittent - sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesn't.

Is this a FastMail .FM issue, perhaps?

I've checked and rechecked my "approvals" on a program that limits inbound connections and I receive mail (yes, I know that is a different process) - but no sending on IMAP. However, I can still use an SMTP client I have set up with another service.

What gives?

Last edited by nyuszika45 : 9 Nov 2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Update
nyuszika45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Nov 2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

An IMAP server is for receiving/synchronising only. The SMTP server is used to send.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 03:26 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Fastmail had a short outage on Saturday night (NYC time)

Welcome to the EMD Forums, nyuszika45!

There are several forums here at EMD, and this thread belongs in the Fastmail.FM Help and Current Issues forum. Hopefully a forum administrator will move it there.

As Adrian pointed out, IMAP is a protocol used for synchronizing received messages between a server and a local email client on your computer. SMTP is the protocol used to send from your computer through a SMTP server to a destination email server.

Fastmail had a short outage last evening (time at their servers in New York City). I'm sure that is why you had a problem.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Sherry

[Moderator:]

nyuszika45, I have moved your thread to the "Fastmail.FM Help and Current Issues" Forum.

Welcome to EMD
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 01:00 AM   #5
nyuszika45

Thank you.

thanks - I'm new, what do I know? not much.
nyuszika45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 01:42 AM   #6
Sherry

No problem nyuszika45. I'm sure you'll catch onto things quickly and enjoy your use of EMD.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote