EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 May 2017, 10:03 AM   #1
malcontent
Essential Contributor

After 19 Years Carnegie Mellon Discontinues Cyrus IMAP

https://www.cmu.edu/computing/email/...ect/index.html

Quote:
Decommission of Cyrus Email

In fall 2016, Computing Services began a multi-phased project to decommission the Cyrus email service as part of an effort to provide modern, industry standard, cost-effective email and calendar solutions.
The email and calendar services offered to campus have undergone a number of changes over the past several years. Many administrative departments have transitioned to Exchange providing an integrated solution with mobile support and advanced scheduling functionality; and in 2013, G Suite @ CMU became the default email service for undergraduate students. The decision to decommission the Cyrus service aligns with the strategy to provide modern solutions that meet the needs and use patterns of our community.
Phase 1

The initial phase began with new Andrew accounts receiving either Exchange or G Suite @ CMU instead of Cyrus for email depending on affiliation and department policy.
Next Steps

The next phase of this project will focus on migrating individual Cyrus mailboxes to one of the supported solutions (Exchange or G Suite @ CMU) by July 1, 2017. We will send direct email to Andrew account holders who are still using Cyrus beginning March 28. This message will direct recipients to the Mail Migration page to enroll in mailbox migration depending on preference and department policy.
FastMail seems to be the primary driver of Cyrus IMAPd software now
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 May 2017, 05:27 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
FastMail seems to be the primary driver of Cyrus IMAPd software now
Primary or only?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 09:30 AM   #3
emoore
Essential Contributor

https://blog.fastmail.com/2016/12/22...release-plans/ (written by Bron Gondwana) mentions "The core team is Ken at CMU, Robert S consulting along with the FastMail staff: myself, Ellie, Nicola and Chris. Of these people, Ellie and Robert are focused entirely on Cyrus, and the rest of us share our duties."
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 07:10 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

In laymen's terms, what does this mean?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 08:43 AM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
In laymen's terms, what does this mean?
It could mean that the open platform on which FastMail has been built becomes dead, apart from slowly morphing into a FastMail only development. That would affect the economics of FastMail's business. Personally, I think their are greater threats to FastMail's survival than this, but we will have to wait and see.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 01:47 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Since Fastmail is still growing (hiring new employees), I'm not too worried about their demise. As for the CMU decision, see this thread with a post made two days ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron gondwana
Cyrus development will not be affected by this. While CMU has been running Cyrus, and employing one of the key developers, FastMail has a team dedicated to supporting the biggest open source project that we use. We have a new developer starting on Wednesday next week as well as Ken from CMU who has agreed to keep working on Cyrus as a FastMail employee and representing the project at conferences.We are committed to improving the project and keeping it open. As a member of the Cyrus IMAP board, I'm very proud of the 3.0 release that we recently made, and we're currently planning for the 3.1 release which will include further significant improvements.
Also see these Fastmail blog posts:
Why we contribute to Cyrus IMAP
Cyrus development and release plans
Ghost of blog posts past
The year in review (2016)

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

There is no mention of disabling some of the sieve script rules...it would have been nice if they had actually told their customers.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 01:02 AM   #8
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
There is no mention of disabling some of the sieve script rules...it would have been nice if they had actually told their customers.
If you're referring to the discussion of "reject" over in this thread, I suspect that, as Bill also points out, this is more of a bug than an intentional change.

There are limitations to how "reject" can work due to FastMail's architecture, but it does appear that it's still supposed to be working properly, but one of the inbound mail relays is deferring the messages when they see the "Reject" action rather than bouncing them outright.

In other words, "reject" still works, but it takes about 24 hours to reject the message, during which the sender will get two or three other delayed delivery notifications. I can't imagine that this was an intentional change on FastMail's part, but more likely an unintended consequence of some other change.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:06 AM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post

In other words, "reject" still works, but it takes about 24 hours to reject the message, during which the sender will get two or three other delayed delivery notifications. I can't imagine that this was an intentional change on FastMail's part, but more likely an unintended consequence of some other change.
on my testing yes it arrives after an hour BUT it shows my main fastmail address as well as my alias......and it has a stupid massage stating the email will be retried when its already been returned, with my note at the bottom....
Old 10 May 2017, 11:19 AM   #10
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Yup. Like I said, clearly not what it's supposed to do, but there's absolutely no logical reason why anybody would want a "reject" rule to work this way, so it's clear to me that it's a bug rather than a deliberate choice to disable the "reject" rule.

In fact, just by looking at the message delivery notifications it's pretty clear to me what's happening here from a technical point of view. I strongly suspect FastMail changed something completely unrelated to Sieve — in fact probably a change made on a completely different system — that inadvertently affected how the "reject" Sieve action is processed.

Put simply, with most large mail providers messages usually travel through more than one inbound server on the way to their final destination. What appears to be happening here is that the Sieve rules are working as designed at the final leg of the journey (hence the "550" rejection error, with the custom message), but one of the servers that the message hits before that isn't handling the "550" response correctly, interpreting it as a temporary failure (421) and choosing to defer the inbound message instead of rejecting it.

Again, speaking as somebody who has been building e-mail systems for 20 years, this makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever. Hence,it's clearly a misconfiguration or a bug somewhere in the works. In the other thread, Bill mentioned he'd reached out to somebody at FastMail, so here's hoping they're already working on fixing it.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Well I suppose they have more important things to do rather then try and fix something that only a few of us would use.

I only used reject to people who I know, but I have now come up with a part auto reply type message advising not to send me links to download etc.
Old 10 May 2017, 02:41 PM   #12
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Have replied over in the thread. We only just became aware of this issue - looks like it's been that way for a couple of months at least (the root cause Cyrus commit is from January), though the bit within our internal infrastructure which caused rejects to be blocked for 24 hours has been there since 2010 in an attempt to stop Cyrus bugs causing lost email.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you Brong, I have posted in the other thread....