EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:34 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Using BCC?

I am having a problem when composing an email to one person and adding other persons tin BCC What am I failing to do?
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:25 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

What is the problem you are seeing? Can you add them the bcc recipients to the message? What happens when you click send?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:27 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I am having a problem when composing an email to one person and adding other persons tin BCC What am I failing to do?
What problem are you having?

If you click on the compose button, then to the right of your default e-mail address do you not see Show Cc and Show Bcc options?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 04:47 AM   #4
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks all responders I click compose and I see BC and BCC on right of screen I click BCC then I have to click mail in top right which opens Contacts but BCC is not shown. I click a contact and it puts that address on screen then click another address which replaces the address the shown address. I not only can't send to BCC but can send to only address at a time
Old 12 Jul 2017, 05:02 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Thanks all responders I click compose and I see BC and BCC on right of screen I click BCC then I have to click mail in top right which opens Contacts but BCC is not shown. I click a contact and it puts that address on screen then click another address which replaces the address the shown address. I not only can't send to BCC but can send to only address at a time
If your e-mail that you're now composing shows that Bcc field, if you just start typing within that field, with even just a part of the name or the e-mail address of the Bcc recipient, you should get suggestions based on what's in your address book.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 07:13 AM   #6
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

When I type a message if i click another address it just replaces the selected address. It just lets me send an email to one person at a time. The CC or BCC are not visible at this time. Could it be that a user can send an email to only one person at a time?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 07:56 AM   #7
fmail_fan

Here's how it works for me (Firefox on Mac):

1) Click Show Bcc
2) The input cursor is placed in the Bcc field.
3) Start typing a name. As you type, names that match your input will be displayed in a dropdown list. Keep typing until you see the name/address you want to include displayed in the list, then select it.
4) The name/address will be placed in the Bcc field, followed by a comma and the input cursor will be placed at the end. Now type the next name/address as above and it will also be placed in the Bcc field. Do this until all of your names are included.
5) Complete your message (subject, content) and send the message.

Hope this helps.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 10:32 AM   #8
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks fmail_fan This method works but must be done by hand. I am trying to send several address using the contact list just by clicking on the address instead of typing each address
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:09 AM   #9
fmail_fan

OK. Since I'm not seeing a way to select contacts when composing a message I can't really be much help.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:30 AM   #10
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you for info you have given me
Old 12 Jul 2017, 02:12 PM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Several ways of sending to multiple people in Bcc

Here is how you can easily send via Bcc to several people using the Address Book screen:
  • Open the online Address Book.
  • Select the contacts using the checkboxes at the left of the desired names. You will see a list of these contacts and the email addresses which will be used (the default email addresses for each of these contacts).
  • Click Compose at the top of the screen. This will open a new Compose screen with those selected contacts in the To addressing field.
  • Be sure the Bcc field is visible (by clicking the Show Bcc field if necessary).
  • Cut the contacts out of the To field and paste them into the Bcc field.
  • Complete the email and send it.
If you plan to send to a collection of people again in the future, the easy way to set this up is by using groups.
  • In Settings>Address Book>Groups, use the Create Group button at the top to create appropriately named groups. A group name can use alphanumeric characters, space characters, and many other characters. I suggest that you not use the word "group" in a group name or any contact name. Be sure to save the group name(s).
  • In the Address Book, select several contacts (using the checkboxes) and add them to one or more groups using one of these methods:
    • Use the Groups button at the top and select the groups those contacts should belong to.
    • Or drag the selected contacts (which are shaded yellow in the Standard theme) to the desired group (in the list at the left).
  • Then to send to that group, open the Compose screen and type groups in an addressing field (To, Cc, or Bcc). You will see a list of ten of your groups.
    • Then either click the desired group or use your keyboard up/down keys and Enter to select a group.
    • If you have more than ten groups, you can type groups followed by the start of the name of the desired group.
    • Or you can just type the name of the group.
  • Once you select a particular group, the email addresses of all members of that group will be inserted into the addressing field.
You never have to type each address. You just use one of the following methods:
  • Type a portion of the person's first and last name directly into the addressing field. For example, type "bo de" to find "Bo Derek" or "Bobby Dement" or "Dean Boaz". Or type just a portion of the first name or just the last name, and if that's not sufficient to narrow it down use a space and type the other part of the name.
    • Click the correct name when you see it, or use up/down arrows and Enter to select it.
    • Then repeat for the next name.
  • As described above, type the name of a group or type groups to see ten groups (so you can select one).
  • As described above, select multiple names in the Address Book, then click Compose at the top, then if necessary cut/paste those names into Cc or Bcc.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 02:21 PM   #12
dsemf

Quote:
Thanks fmail_fan This method works but must be done by hand. I am trying to send several address using the contact list just by clicking on the address instead of typing each address
If this is a regular thing, you could create a group and enter the group name in the BCC field.

Another approach for adhoc BCC recipients:
  1. Check each recipient name in the address book.
  2. Click on the Compose button.
  3. This will open a new message with all the names in the To: line.
  4. Select the line contents and cut (cntl-x / cmd-x).
  5. Click on the BCC line and paste (cntl-v / cmd-v).
This is a little cumbersome, but faster than adding each name individually.

Bill was faster, and more detailed.

When using direct entry, typing groups first restricts the list to just groups, otherwise individuals and groups are mixed together. Based on my address book, I only need to type gro to limit the list to groups.

DS

Last edited by dsemf : 12 Jul 2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Update
dsemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 06:38 PM   #13
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

In the old UI it was much easier, you just clicked who you want to send an email to.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 06:47 PM   #14
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
In the old UI it was much easier, you just clicked who you want to send an email to.
Hear Hear! LONG LIVE THE CLASSIC UI!

Last edited by joe_devore : 14 Oct 2017 at 06:41 PM.
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 10:01 PM   #15
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Bill