EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Mar 2020, 09:06 PM   #16
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Another observation.

This thread about labels has been hijacked by sieve coders.

How about starting a new thread?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2020, 09:22 PM   #17
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
(b) why is jmapquery being used instead of simpler match tests etc? It may be from FM's point of view this makes the logic for their rule-generator simpler. It might also be more efficient (in terms of server load) if it's been implemented with more modern code features.
See my theory on this in my added update in the last paragraph I just added above. But if they are intending to support large email filtering I wonder how that plays nice with the technique they are using of doing a fileinto :copy and a discard of the original email for the basic cases. At any rate I am still curious why I cannot get it to generate the jmapquery's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Another observation.

This thread about labels has been hijacked by sieve coders.

How about starting a new thread?
Fine by me. Can the moderator move posts 9 to this post (at least at the time I am posting this) to it's own thread? Say with the title "New rules sieve code" or something like that.

Last edited by xyzzy : 30 Mar 2020 at 09:30 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2020, 04:33 AM   #18
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow New rules and jmapquery

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
...Fine by me. Can the moderator move posts 9 to this post (at least at the time I am posting this) to it's own thread? Say with the title "New rules sieve code" or something like that.
I just created the following new thread and posted the sieve with no rules and the most simple rule which creates the jmapquery sieve:
New rules and jmapquery

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2020, 09:11 AM   #19
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Labels are now available on Fastmail's beta website.
https://beta.fastmail.com/help/receive/labels-beta.html
Confirmed by Pobox support: New rules/labels are not coming to Pobox (Mailstore) users.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2020, 08:57 PM   #20
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Can someone confirm or explain the following sequence of events using the beta version of FastMail (beta.fastmail.com)...

In folder "mode" (preferences/mail/folders) create a rule that uses Move to Spam. You will see Spam in the menu list of folder selections so you can select it. Save the rule.

Switch to labels mode and then go back to edit that rule. You should now see the Move to has become Add label and it's still to Spam (inherited from when it was set in folders "mode").

Now try to change the Move to label to some other label on the menu drop down list. The list will not include Spam and if you select some other label in the list you won't be able to set it back to Spam because it's not on the list. At least that's the behavior I am seeing.

So should Spam be a valid Add label choice? Or could this be a browser specific problem? Or is this a real bug that I should ticket? I'd just like to confirm others are seeing this behavior too.

Note I first stumbled on this fooling around with labels and noticed Spam was missing on the Add label list. Then I figured out I could fake it out by setting Spam while in folders mode. So you can simply test without the folders step and just try to create a rule in labels mode that wants to Add the Spam label. Can you?

Update:
Just noticed Archive is also not in the Add label list.

Last edited by xyzzy : 2 Apr 2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 07:22 AM   #21
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Update:
Just noticed Archive is also not in the Add label list.
I notice that 'Archive' has become 'All Mail' in the left-hand column folder/label list. It has the Archive icon and seems to contain everything I had in my former 'Archive' folder.

Although neither 'Archive' nor 'All Mail' appear in the 'Add Label' list, the Archive button seems to work just as before (but with items going to 'All Mail').

The way it's working initially seems counter-intuitive, but I'm starting to think this is actually a very smart implementation of labels.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2020, 08:15 AM   #22
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Ah, your right about Archive becoming All Mail with labels enabled and I guess it makes sense that shouldn't be in the list. But thanks for confirming you don't see Spam in the list. I think that should be there. After all I can "trick" it into using Spam by first setting it in folders mode as I illustrated in my post #20.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 08:17 AM   #23
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I'm not sure if what we are seeing is permanent or just a temporary condition as they are working on moving this to production.
  • There are no labels available for the following six folders:
    • Archive / All Mail
    • Templates
    • Drafts
    • Sent
    • Trash
    • Spam
  • You can use labels for Inbox and all user-created folders.
  • When you use the Labels mode, the Archive icon is not shown in the folder/label list. The Archive icon is replaced by the All mail icon.
  • If you are in Folders mode, search results show the location of the message, even if it is in one of the six folders shown above.
  • If you are in Labels mode, search results will find messages in all six folders shown above (if enabled in Advanced search), but you can't tell where the messages are located (since there are no labels associated for those folders). I find this to be unfortunate.
Bill
Old 2 Apr 2020, 08:19 AM   #24
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

pjroutledge
Ah, your right about Archive becoming All Mail with labels enabled and I guess it makes sense it shouldn't be in the list. But thanks for confirming you don't see Spam in the list. I think that should be there and I should ticket that now that you confirmed it. After all I can "trick" it into using Spam by first setting it in folders mode as I illustrated in my first post and someone might actually want to filter into there.

n5bb
I can accept the idea of not all those (had to look up Templates -- didn't know about that) in the list except for Spam. Trash is not needed since there is a checkbox for "delete to trash". So it only Spam that I see no reason to exclude particularly since it lets me fake it out by setting it in folder mode's Move to. I'll ticket it and see what they say.

Again thanks guys for confirming this.

Update:
Ticket submitted. Stay tuned...

Last edited by xyzzy : 2 Apr 2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 08:44 AM   #25
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

What really bothers me is not being able to always see where a message is when viewing All mail or when viewing search results in Label mode.
  • In Labels mode: Since there are no labels for these folders, the message will show no label/folder tag if it is in Archive, Templates, Drafts, Sent, Trash, or Spam. You can tell that the message exists, but you will have no idea whether it was sent, trashed, archived, etc.
  • In Folders mode: You can see a folder tag for Archive, Templates, Drafts, Sent, Trash, or Spam.
Bill
Old 2 Apr 2020, 08:50 AM   #26
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

n5bb
I guess it's your turn to ticket them!
Old 30 Apr 2020, 09:51 AM   #27
kpuru

Its amazing that we have labels. I think I have waited for this for a few years now (since 2015).

Some suggestions on the same though:

I extensively use Outlook mail client and it is not built for labels.
Just to test, I added a few labels to a message
So message had two labels A,B
In Outlook, deleted the message in "B" folder
In FM, message existed in "A" label and had a label of "B" when opened. However, when I click on "B" in the label pane, the message had disappeared. Something was broken when a copy was deleted in Outlook.

I think we should have some sort of separator between system labels (Spam,Deleted, Sent, etc) and user labels.Trash folder or a label is gone. I guess we need that restored as a system label.

I have just used this for maybe 30 mins and these are initial thoughts.
Post title reminds me of "Thanos is coming!"
kpuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2020, 09:21 PM   #28
alex_ndc

Labels not IMAP compliant?

Hi all,

I noticed labels support coming and I'm very happy about it.

However — JMAP is not supported in email clients yet. I use MailMate, I don't use the web interface and good IMAP support is why I chose FastMail.

Why aren't labels being exposed as IMAP tags/labels? FastMail AFAIK already supported IMAP tags in IMAP clients, so why not go the extra mile and expose these labels as IMAP tags?

And if there are technical challenges that I'm missing, then at least Gmail-like piggybacking on IMAP folders would do. Including some of their extensions like the X-GM-LABELS attribute, because there are email clients that can work with that.

I understand that Gmail-like support has tricky edge-cases, or so I've heard, but either that or IMAP tags, some level of support for current IMAP clients would be good, otherwise the newly introduced labels are useless for me.

Thanks,
alex_ndc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 08:16 AM   #29
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Confirmed by Pobox support: New rules/labels are not coming to Pobox (Mailstore) users.
Changed mind? There are now labels in beta.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2020, 05:32 AM   #30
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Labels keep your emails organized and prioritized

https://fastmail.blog/2020/06/15/fastmail-labels/
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote