EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 5 Aug 2020, 11:38 AM   #1
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Any thoughts on HEY.COM?

Hi all -- I just ran across the new hey.com email service and read through their whole concept and honestly I was kind of intrigued. I wanted to know if any of you had any thoughts on it?

The company behind it is Basecamp BTW, which I've used for several years with client projects, so it's an established, stable US firm that in my experience has been pretty good overall, so that bodes well for the longevity and stability of hey.com IMO.

The primary downside to hey.com, at least for me, is that it is US-based, so for anyone that has a security model that isn't compatible with US-based email, then it's obviously not a contender. But on the other hand, they are very clear what they are trying to do, and they are NOT trying to be a competitor to something like ProtonMail, for example, which is a totally different kind of service of course. And for a US-based service, their security model and approach looks pretty reasonable given what they are trying to do.

So having said that, I looked at hey.com as a new email concept product backed by a company that I have reasonable trust in (besides the US issue). And the concept is pretty good for people who have certain kinds of email workflows. And in some usage scenarios, it's borderline brilliant. A lot of what it does can be emulated with folders, labels, tags, stars, rules, filters, etc., etc... but a lot of it is IMO the synthesis of some of the more interesting ideas about how to improve email workflows over the last decade, all in one service. So I'm kind of intrigued and am planning on giving it a good test and maybe actually paying for a year.

I didn't see a thread about it here yet, and I always appreciate the comments this forum produces, I've learned a lot here over the many years.

Last edited by ioneja : 5 Aug 2020 at 12:02 PM.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Aug 2020, 12:18 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
$99 is expensive for me, a poor man from Asia.
But if you have paid a year of the account, they will keep the email forwarding for you for lifetime. that's somewhat worth it.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2020, 03:38 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
I didn't see a thread about it here yet
Must try harder:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=77226
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2020, 07:22 PM   #4
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Thanks! Appreciated! However, in my defense, when I searched for "hey.com" I got this:

"The following errors occurred with your search: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I was very surprised, how did this forum NOT have that topic already??? And what other terms should I try? HEY.COM is the actual name of the service. Then I read through the active threads -- I thought, "surely this would be an active discussion since it is so new" and it is NOT in the active threads in this forum since the last post was 28 Jun 2020, and the default for active threads is: "Last Month" so it didn't show up. I thought that was enough due diligence to start a thread about it. There are, as of this response, only 14 threads that showed up by default, and this topic was not one of them. Now I'm going to go over to that other thread right now and post there, resurrecting it for the default activity range and it will show up again in the active thread list again for anyone who only has "Last Month" in their default display options.

So you're right, I totally missed the thread, and thank you for linking to it, but honestly, how hard "must" I try to find the other thread? I thought that was reasonable effort to find a thread.

1) If I had searched for "basecamp" I would have found it. But that's not the name of the service.
2) If I had increased the default display range for the forum option to greater than "Last Month" I would have found it. But "Last Month" is the default.

So you're right, it would have been an easy find, but I guess it fell through the gaps, and I was surprised that "hey.com" turned up zero results. How does "hey.com" not turn up results? This is the first time the search engine here in this forum turned up zero results for me on a provider's official name in my almost decade of using this forum.

Anyway, thanks again, but it does beg the question why the search engine in this forum didn't find "hey.com" other than I can imagine "hey" must be such a common key word that it discards it.

In any case, MODS -- PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DELETE THIS THREAD -- I'll move over to the other thread now and carry on there. I definitely don't want to start a new thread on it.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote