EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 20 May 2005, 01:50 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

NEW movies

Instead of the thread of general great movies - appearing on a lot of boards - which often have people re-hashing the same titles, how about one on new movies, current movies, movies you've recently seen in actual theaters?

I'll start out by saying that "Crash" is probably the best American movie I've seen so far this year.

webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 May 2005, 04:37 AM   #2
sterdeus

Quote:
I'll start out by saying that "Crash" is probably the best American movie I've seen so far this year.
The film was written and directed by a Canadian, and was produced and distributed by a Canadian company.
However, it was probably filmed in LA with all American actors.
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2005, 07:08 AM   #3
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by sterdeus
The film was written and directed by a Canadian, and was produced and distributed by a Canadian company.
However, it was probably filmed in LA with all American actors.
haven't seen it...but given the above, then why wasn't it filmed in Canada with Canadian actors? Would've been cheaper anyway I would think... (edit) that situation is a turnaround, though...usually in the recent past it was American production companies filming in Canada because of the lower costs and better environment.

Last edited by rmns2bseen : 20 May 2005 at 07:13 AM.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2005, 09:17 AM   #4
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Re: NEW movies

The last three movies I've seen are: HHGTTG, Kingdom Of Heaven, and Episode III.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2005, 09:52 AM   #5
anj
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
haven't seen it...but given the above, then why wasn't it filmed in Canada with Canadian actors?
It is about racism among people from different segments of American society. The dialog was unusually good, very colloquial and believable. I doubt it could have been written by someone who hadn't lived here.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2005, 12:34 PM   #6
sterdeus

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
It is about racism among people from different segments of American society. The dialog was unusually good, very colloquial and believable. I doubt it could have been written by someone who hadn't lived here.
Possibly the writer/director had lived in the US for a portion or most of his life. Maybe he lived in Canada his whole life because there is racism in Canada and all throughout the world.
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2005, 12:46 PM   #7
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Newest movie I've seen is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Which I thought was cool.

I don't know what time period it is set in though. The planes look old school, but yet what kind of old school has really intelligent robots? Looks a bit like a post-WWII era (based on the plane types) - but, again, we see some weird stuff, like floating airbases and aircraft that turns into underwatercraft
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2005, 12:03 PM   #8
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Going to see Batman Begins tonight...

BTW, Mr. & Mrs. Smith is a decent action movie which you can take your girlfriend to. My only complaint is that it's too bad they cut the details about the secret agencies, and there's too much camp in some scenes.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 04:32 AM   #9
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Interesting to see the more recent input here. I was figuring that this group never went to the movies.

In case you're interested, you're right about the "Crash" filmmaker. I'd forgotten he was orignially Canadian, but he's been in Hollywood for ages, mostly writing television. As to why he didn't do it with Canadian actors, it's because he was after American money, so needed American bigger names. As opposed to "Milwaukee, Minnesota," which I think no one will see, because it hasn't the star names.

Old 16 Jun 2005, 04:45 AM   #10
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Quote:
Originally posted by btn
Going to see Batman Begins tonight...
The Dark Knight is back!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 01:47 PM   #11
Gankaku

Awww....(at the risk of making everyone mad!) I'm sick of the Batman movies - a different guy each time... However, the Fantastic Four one looks good - The Thing is awesome.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2005, 03:54 PM   #12
trew

Does any of you know if the latest version of War of the Worlds is better than Independence Day? Is it worth seeing?
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2005, 08:43 PM   #13
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by trew
Does any of you know if the latest version of War of the Worlds is better than Independence Day? Is it worth seeing?

Having read most of the book, and seeing some of the advertisements, it looks like they are going to modernize it a bit. It will probably be the next movie I see.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2021, 05:22 AM   #14
Bamb0
Master of the @

The NEWEST MOVIE I have seen is I think its called Mortal Kombat from 2013 and I thought it was aweful..... So much violence and hatred....... They wonder why people are so messed up today!!

Before that The laetst movie I saw last year was VHS II (2012) on VHS -- That was aweful also,I didnt even watch the whole thing!!!!!

I think the last movie I really like is Firewall (2006)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2021, 01:35 PM   #15
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
The NEWEST MOVIE I have seen is I think its called Mortal Kombat from 2013 and I thought it was aweful..... So much violence and hatred....... They wonder why people are so messed up today!!

Before that The laetst movie I saw last year was VHS II (2012) on VHS -- That was aweful also,I didnt even watch the whole thing!!!!! I think the last movie I really like is Firewall (2006)
I can't believe you took this thread and added something years later.

In case you didn't notice, this was supposed to be about NEW movies in 2005, and about ones you went to see in a movie theater.