EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Dec 2016, 07:49 PM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

New 'Files' on beta

There's a new 'ajax' interface for Files on the beta server.
WARNING: Still buggy! Clicking 'Show sidebar' freezes the whole interface. Use at your own risk.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Dec 2016, 10:03 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks for noticing this! On a browser with a wide screen (Firefox on my Windows 10 PC) the sidebar is automatically shown and there is no lockup, but I see the problem when using my iPad. The other choices in the sidebar are still using the old interface screens to show usage, websites, and accesses to your files, so they aren't finished. I hope the (details) link feature on the current production interface are reproduced, such as the ability to change the MIME type and edit text and HTML files directly in the web interface. The new View link doesn't do anything useful (just returns an error or warning message), so maybe it will provide a similar capability to (details) when the new interface is completed.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Thanks for noticing this! On a browser with a wide screen (Firefox on my Windows 10 PC) the sidebar is automatically shown and there is no lockup, but I see the problem when using my iPad.
The lockup of the sidebar seems to be fixed.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Out of beta now!

It's live.

Known issue:
Open Files in IOS --> loop to Safari with no back to app. Will be fixed in a couple of days.

First impression:
I'm missing the folder view: 'view as photos' from the old interface.
The other choices in the sidebar are still using the old interface screens. Strange.

Last edited by Berenburger : 29 Mar 2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks F/m
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2017, 08:42 PM   #6
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

THANK YOU FM! I love the work you've done here! I've always considered the files feature as an "extra frosting on top" kind of secret weapon, and this just makes it that much better. VERY happy with how you have implemented it so far. Bravo!

As time and resources permit, would be nice to have the other files features (websites, access logs, etc.) migrated to the new interface too! But I feel greedy for asking that -- this is a huge upgrade so just accept my kudos!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 09:59 PM   #7
NumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Known issue:
Open Files in IOS --> loop to Safari with no back to app. Will be fixed in a couple of days.
Just happened across this by accident. Could this be related to the problem that I just started a new thread about? It's quite possible that this happened to me when I tried to go into the Files area.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2017, 10:02 PM   #8
NumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
THANK YOU FM! I love the work you've done here! I've always considered the files feature as an "extra frosting on top" kind of secret weapon, and this just makes it that much better. VERY happy with how you have implemented it so far. Bravo!
Ditto... I have made good use of Files over the years, but was always disappointed with the interface, particularly the way the sort order was not sticky even within a session. This is so much better... at least in as much as I've used it on the browser. As you can see above, the iPhone app might still have some bugs to work out

Last edited by NumberSix : 2 Apr 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 07:25 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Fastmail iOS app v1.2.5 released March 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Just happened across this by accident. Could this be related to the problem that I just started a new thread about? It's quite possible that this happened to me when I tried to go into the Files area.
I don't see any such a switch to Safari without a return link on the new iOS version 1.2.5 (released four days ago on March 29).

My the way, on large screen iOS devices (iPad) the screens are quite a bit different than on small devices (iPhone, even the largest display iPhone 7 Plus). For example, the same v1.2.5 on an iPad with a large display shows Files Usage, Sharing, Websites, and Access logs choices below My Files and Trash on the Files screen, but those choices are not shown on v1.2.5 on an iPhone. Those four features (Files Usage, Sharing, Websites, and Access logs) visible only on the large screen devices are web links which pull up the website using the Safari browser. But in all cases there is a Back to FastMail link at the top left corner of the Safari page.Those four features are not designed for the smaller iPhone/iPod screens.

Bill
Old 8 Apr 2017, 01:01 PM   #10
NumberSix

Quote:
Ditto... I have made good use of Files over the years, but was always disappointed with the interface, particularly the way the sort order was not sticky even within a session. This is so much better... at least in as much as I've used it on the browser. As you can see above, the iPhone app might still have some bugs to work out
Well, my iPhone app problem has been fixed, but I just noticed something lost in this otherwise excellent new Files interface -- the exact number of bytes in the file. The detail screen used to show both the number of K and the number of bytes, but now we only have K. Believe it or not, I have a reason, for one file that I up and download a lot, to want to know the exact number of bytes.

Can we have this back, on the detail screen? Should be simple, right?
Old 8 Apr 2017, 03:05 PM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You make a good point and should file a support request with that suggestion.

Bill
Old 8 Apr 2017, 09:42 PM   #12
somdcomputerguy

One problem I have with the new files UI is that the sorting order of image files displayed in a photo gallery can only be made alphabetically by the filename or the title, and that is case sensitive (which is no surprise). For example, H comes before a. The 'sort order' numbering system has gone bye-bye. I don't mean the sorting of files in the Files UI, and according to a reply to a service ticket, the previous sorting system is not available. See the EMD member photo gallery for clarification - http://emdpics.somdcomputerguy.com/. Since I have three other photo galleries besides the EMD member pics one, looks like I have a lot of files to rename..

- Bruce

add: Once the arduous renaming task is done, this may make sorting easier though. I just have to rename a file before or after I upload it..

another edit: The sorting of the images in the EMD member photo gallery is done, and casing of the Title field takes precedence of the casing of the filename.

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 10 Apr 2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: another edit:
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2017, 07:14 AM   #13
NumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You make a good point and should file a support request with that suggestion.
Well, I did that, and they responded quickly! The number of bytes is now provided as a tooltip when you mouse over the file size displayed in K.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 01:55 PM   #14
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Well, I did that, and they responded quickly! The number of bytes is now provided as a tooltip when you mouse over the file size displayed in K.
That's a great improvement! I just tried it and I like it.

Bill
Old 25 Apr 2017, 01:35 AM   #15
fmail_fan

Enhancement request

I like the new Files interface, it's a great improvement from the older version which was cumbersome to use.

I use Files mostly for maintaining my web photo gallery. I have a number of albums which I like to keep at around 20 photos each. They are mostly wildlife and I often replace existing photos with better ones. I decide which to remove by looking at the gallery and then try to find the file in the files UI (the gallery displays a descriptive Title so I don't know the image file name). I'm wondering if a thumbnail of the image could be displayed for photo files instead of the current generic image icon. Perhaps slightly larger but I know space is limited. That would be very helpful in finding the image without having to click on each image file to see if it's the one I want.

I guess a grid view would be another option but I'm trying to keep the request simple.

If someone knows an existing way to accomplish what I've described please let me know!
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote