EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Apr 2016, 09:36 PM   #16
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
And you can have any color (so long as it's black).
Haha

600 email aliases... so limiting...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2016, 08:59 PM   #17
gj15

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
This is very interesting. It appears (after some testing) that you can create as many aliases as you wish (up to 600) at any length (of at least 2 characters) with an Enhanced account.
Family accounts have also benefitted from a change. It now seems that Family account alias quantity limits are "600 + 15 per user in the account" with the same creation criteria regardless of the level of the user accounts within the Family account.

https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html
gj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2016, 09:48 AM   #18
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusl View Post
I find it so confusing how they renamed Personalities to Accounts.

I like to think that I have one Fastmail account which can send from any of my different personalities. Now I have to think that I have one Fastmail account that has several Accounts. I wonder if there is a reason for the change.

Just to add even more confusion...
When you create a new Folder, you get to choose the default Personality/Account associated with that Folder.
However in the Folder creation screen, this is actually referred to as the Default identity.
So yet another term to describe the same thing.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2016, 10:04 AM   #19
neilj

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
We now use the word identity to refer to what used to be personalities. See our help page for more detail on identities: https://www.fastmail.com/help/send/identities.html

The Accounts settings screen lets you configure both Identities and Pop Links for a single account. Identities may also be associated with Aliases (and a matching identity is created automatically if you create an alias that targets your own user).
neilj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2016, 10:09 AM   #20
gardenweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
We now use the word identity to refer to what used to be personalities. See our help page for more detail on identities: https://www.fastmail.com/help/send/identities.html

The Accounts settings screen lets you configure both Identities and Pop Links for a single account. Identities may also be associated with Aliases (and a matching identity is created automatically if you create an alias that targets your own user).
Except Neil, in the Account creation page, where you define the Identity name, you actually call the field "Nickname", not Identity.
Can you not see that all these names create a lot of confusion?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2016, 10:26 AM   #21
neilj

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
The identity is the whole thing (email address, name, settings etc.). The nickname is just that: a nickname for the identity for you to identify it easily in internal use.

FastMail provides a lot of powerful features, far more than just about everyone else. Unfortunately, this means some things are more complicated (aliases are not a one-to-one map with identities, and belong to the account not the individual user, so cannot be combined into a single screen; identities can also be configured for external accounts, which may or may not also have a POP link).
neilj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2016, 12:31 PM   #22
JMac
Essential Contributor

Neil,

There should be clearer definitions for each of the new terms. Right now it appears that these are probably somewhat clear to whoever made the changes - but not necessarily to others.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2016, 07:14 PM   #23
fmail_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
Neil,

There should be clearer definitions for each of the new terms. Right now it appears that these are probably somewhat clear to whoever made the changes - but not necessarily to others.

Jim
i agree. It would be very helpful to have definitions and examples, perhaps on the Identities page that Neil referred to or a separate definitions page for this topic. We're confronted with Users, Accounts, Aliases, Identities, POP Links, Names, Nicknames...
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2016, 08:18 PM   #24
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

How can anyone confuse POP Links with Names, Aliases, Identities &c?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2016, 04:36 AM   #25
Fuzzy Logic

I double checked with my other e-mail hoster for the correct settings for the "fetch" interface in FM, but I keep getting an error message when I check the server settings. I sent in a ticket but I don't expect I'll hear for days. Anyone using fetch OK?
Fuzzy Logic is offline   Reply With Quote