EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Aug 2017, 06:25 AM   #1
redgreenski

Fastmail needs reduction in clicks

I have been a member for 2 years now and just renewed my subscription for another year so I have been using both webmail app and iPhone app for quite awhile.

I noticed that multiple functions in both the web app and iPhone app require more than one click. For example:

3 clicks are required for the following:
Address Book, Calendar, Notes, Files and Settings

2 clicks are required for the following:
Inbox, Archive, Drafts, Sent, Spam, Trash

You could reduce the number of clicks by provide shortcuts at the top bar. You already have a shortcut to creating new message at the top right corner and it works very well. This could be expanded to the above items and thus reducing the number of clicks to 1.

Furthermore clicking left sided arrow expands menu, there is another arrow which expands another menu. It feels like there is too many menus and too many clicks. It would be easier to combine both menus into one larger one covering entire screen. I see no reason to see half of my inbox while one menu is expanded. Apple mail does that, hotmail does that as well and it works well and it feels simple and less cluttered.

I am not an app developer but I can imagine that placing graphic shortcuts should not be hard to implement.
redgreenski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Aug 2017, 09:39 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Welcome to the forums!

There are two separate cases to consider here.

Those who regularly use FastMail on a regular computer should take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts for common actions. This is much more efficient than mouse clicks, and renders unnecessary having toolbar items to avoid using menus.

The mobile devices that lack regular keyboards are a different issue. There screen space is at a premium, and conserving it needs to be balanced against navigation convenience. I avoid using FastMail routinely on my phone, so I do not think I am qualified to pass judgment on whether FastMail has the balance right.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2017, 11:03 AM   #3
redgreenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Welcome to the forums!

There screen space is at a premium, and conserving it needs to be balanced against navigation convenience.
There is already screen space used for that one single icon at the right upper corner. All I am asking is to add more icons right next to it.
redgreenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I agree with that and have asked before.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote