EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Mar 2012, 11:25 PM   #1
andrearp

Personality when replying always set as default

I set a default personality for each of my folders, and my main "personality preference when replying" is set to "always folder default", however I noticed that since a couple of days, whenever I reply from a specific folder, the personality of the reply message is set to the account default, and not to the folder default.

Tried to change browser/clear cache with no result. Using IE9 and Firefox11

I suspect this has something to do with recent changes and the "force default personality when sending from SMTP"... which caused some headaches to other users. I didn't notice that option before.
andrearp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Mar 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The SMTP force From feature in Personalities was added over three years ago. So although some people may not have noticed it, the first posts in EMD Forums about this feature were in August, 2008. I don't think that is related to your complaint, but I guess it's possible.

I agree that the Options>Account Preferences>From when replying Always default folder/main setting seems to now only use the default personality From address, and it ignores the folder personality setting. Although the help isn't clear, I would also assume that just as when composing a new message when reading that folder, in this case a reply should use the folder personality for the reply.

So I just sent a question about this to Fastmail staff, and will post the reply here.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2012, 07:43 PM   #3
andrearp

Ouch! I consider myself a "heavy and competent user" of the service, but I never noticed the Force SMTP identity. It's probably of no use to me.

However, regarding the problem of the system not applying the folder personality to replies, it started about one week ago. I opened the ticket after a couple of days, and has been escalated to RobM yesterday.

Strangely, I see no other people complaining. I also tried changing the selected values in the folder default, in the personalities and in the main account option, but this had no effect, so I guess something went broke somewhere.

Let's wait for Rob! I'll update this thread as soon as I get something more.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 12:05 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Multiple folder personality bugs

I sent Rob (at Fastmail) and Marian (software tester at Opera) a note yesterday after your post and some testing here. The HTML interface (both normal and beta) also has a folder personality bug which recently began. I had noticed something odd happening with folder personalities a few days ago, but didn't investigate until I saw your post. Thanks for your post. Here is what I found:
  • HTML: Composing a new message and filing sent messages work correctly, but reply ignores folder personality.
  • AJAX: Reply works correctly, but composing a new message and filng sent messages ignore folder personality.
Bill
Old 26 Mar 2012, 03:24 PM   #5
andrearp

Rob "repaired" it and closed the ticket (still have to check, but I trust him!).

Strange thing nobody else noticed - they're too busy complaining about contact sync.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 03:37 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, he has fixed the bug with the HTML interface. I found that the current AJAX interface ignores the folder personality setting, so that's not a bug.

Bill
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I found that the current AJAX interface ignores the folder personality setting, so that's not a bug.
It's not a bug, but it's definitely a major regression for some of us.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote