EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 10 Mar 2021, 12:35 AM   #1
Lee Batchelor

Capitalization

In this modern day, I still can't believe that most programs other than MS programs, don't automatically capitalize the pronoun "I" or the first word after a punctuated sentence.

Is there a setting for this in Gmail? I love the Gmail interface but there seems to some basic things missing.

Thanks all...
Lee Batchelor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Mar 2021, 03:43 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Personally I'm not wild about autocorrection of grammar and spelling because it so often makes life difficult and slow, and often creates more errors than it fixes. There's a certain key combination I have to type fairly frequently and Microsoft insists on converting it to an emoji of all things! More than once I have sent out a formal communication to business contacts with this stupid emoji in an email and it is hard to get it to use the correct characters instead.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2021, 04:46 AM   #3
Lee Batchelor

Thanks for the input, Tenfour. You're 100% correct...there's never any free lunch !
Old 11 Mar 2021, 02:16 AM   #4
Gankaku

You could try the Grammarly browser extension. I believe it gives you selections to fix your email grammar for you. Worth a try!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2021, 02:30 AM   #5
Lee Batchelor

Thanks, Gankaku. I've used that before. It's a good little program.

I found another possible solution. MS Outlook, on the PC, side has all the editing options of the Office suite, such as the things I need. I like the Outlook GUI but hate MS's filters. They're nothing but trouble. To get the best of both worlds, someone suggested I create my Gmail account inside Outlook. Duh....great idea! That way, I can receive emails from the forums that the MS servers are filtering out and use the nice features of the Office editing options.

Thanks again...
Old 11 Mar 2021, 04:19 PM   #6
EricG
Essential Contributor

I assume you mean web gmail on the desktop. That's not how desktop PCs work because it's trivial to press shift and another key. People are used to typewriters even if they never used one.

On Android Gboard does what you want because touch keyboards are harder to shift. It has lots more shortcuts like that.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2021, 09:03 PM   #7
Lee Batchelor

Hi Eric,

Yes, I placed my Gmail account inside my Outlook Desktop app. Now I have the benefits of MS's Autocomplete and Autocorrect features.

I agree that pressing the Shift key for sentence capitalization and the pronoun I is trivial. As a technical writer, I do a lot of scientific editing and the Autocomplete feature in Office saves me a lot of time because I can create shortcuts for complex words. That idea spills over into everyday emails. It's so handy to type "MS" and see "Microsoft" displayed in the text. This feature exists on mobile devices. Why not as an extension in Gmail or any other PC program? I believe you mentioned in another reply that some browsers are trying to bring this back. It's high time!