EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 1 Apr 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
radtux

Does anyone know about usa.net?

A friend of mine was looking around for a recommendation for this company. Their web site says a lot but I have a vague remembrance of this service provider during late 90's when they used to have a free email service but went paid.

I do know one person who swears by this service (they have an enterprise account and married to their Blackberries 24x7) but not really sure to take him for his word.

Interestingly, a forum search has not revealed anything about them. Anyone for the pointers? Past or present customers?

An email (pre-sales inquiry) sent to them has not elicited any reply even after 30 hours. Is their customer service really bad?
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Apr 2012, 05:01 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
As known as netaddress.com, a nice provider in the old days, but for now, I don't know.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2012, 05:04 PM   #3
radtux

I remember free accounts from them; I think they were around 5 MB then! This was the most generous of the available plans from Yahoo, Lycos and Excite. I briefly had an excite.com mail address as well.
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

I would think that the domain name (by itself) would be valuable. That being the case, I would also suspect, that the owners of the 'domain name', would not want it to be associated with anything that was worthless.....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2012, 08:03 PM   #5
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Yes I used it say 1997 or so. Then it slowly came out of fashion?
Not so much heard of lately is it? Maybe if you live in the States.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Depending on political opinions about the US or on location you live in, it may be a huge plus or minus domain-wise. But let's not open that can of worms.

The service used to be for free for sure, the only person I was in touch with in Northern Cyprus was using a usa.net address due to the absence of a local suffix and local email providers. How he ended up with USA.NET as provider, I am unsure, but he was very glad with their service. We talk about 1999 or 2000 if I remember well, this was when a 6 MB inbox was still considered generous and when Hotmail's 2 MB was a standard. Is USA.NET still in the same hands? How has it evolved in terms of features, storage etc...?

Purely domain-wise it's a gem if you live in the US or like the country. It's a pity no more such domains are available. I only can recall ireland.com email (but this was not for free and was restricted to subscribers of an Irish newspaper's online service).
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2012, 12:38 AM   #7
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I had two accounts with usa.net or netaddress consumer product many years ago. My accounts started out as a free benefit of American Express. Then it became a paid service. I haven't had the accounts for years because I learned about more robust and feature-packed services on this forum. And services for my own domains. Today, I poked around at the usa.net website. I looks totally different then when I was using it. Looks like a new owner as well. Someone with recent experience should tell us about it.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:39 PM   #8
denverharless
Cornerstone of the Community

I remember having a usa.net account, even before they were bought by American Express. It seems to me that American Express kept it going with the same functionality for a time, which was very good back then, and then turned it into a paid service with a focus on corporate clients. That was about the time I found this forum as well (haven't been on in a loooong while -- this thread, though sparked memories).
Cheers.
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2012, 06:09 AM   #9
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Purely domain-wise it's a gem if you live in the US or like the country. It's a pity no more such domains are available. I only can recall ireland.com email (but this was not for free and was restricted to subscribers of an Irish newspaper's online service).
Ireland.com currently has a free email service, going back to at least July of 2010 (judging by the dates of the oldest messages still stored in my account), which uses the Zimbra web interface, and has 5GB storage space. As far as I know, it's webmail only (i.e., no POP/IMAP/SMTP), but it does provide for autoforwarding, either "globally" or selectively through the filters.

There's also free email available at india.com, although I was able to get a better user name with one of their alternate domains, imail.com. But unfortunately their webmail interface has been "acting up" lately, leaving me currently unable to set autoforwarding, although I was able to do so upon first opening the account.

Although there may be others, those are the two "country name" domains currently with free email which I can think of at the moment.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2012, 03:23 AM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
If only Ireland.com was a free service back when I lived on the island for 3 years ... Back then it was a paid account for subscribers of a specific newspaper (cannot remember which one exactly). Dublin.ie has been around as free for a long time though.

I believe china.com was a mail domain too, but I may be wrong. India.com indeed for sure, I forgot about that one ; heard good comments on that as well.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote