EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 May 2017, 08:38 AM   #346
cowboy

Hello,
is there a way to collect/move/transfer all of the various emails in my account ?
I have too many to resend to another email.

What would be the best way to do this
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 09:48 AM   #347
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

You can download them in a zip file to your PC.

Open the folder you require, click on the emails, then at the bottom there is a box and you can chose what to do with the ticked items.
This is in the classic UI
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 09:52 AM   #348
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Hello,
is there a way to collect/move/transfer all of the various emails in my account ?
I have too many to resend to another email.

What would be the best way to do this
The easiest way is using an IMAP mail client (such as Thunderbird). You set up your FastMail account and the "other" account. Each has its own folder hierarchy. You can then copy and paste the folders containing the emails between the accounts. If you have a lot of mail (especially if the messages often have large attachments) the transfer may take some time, but it is not technically difficult.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 11:20 AM   #349
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
The easiest way is using an IMAP mail client (such as Thunderbird).,,
I wholeheartedly agree. You can move a thousand emails very quickly using this method. It also works for moving FastMail Notes between FastMail accounts (as discussed in another thread this week).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 01:06 PM   #350
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

That's ok if you have everything installed, but takes a bit of setting up.

Last edited by Terry : 17 May 2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 17 May 2017, 02:09 PM   #351
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
That's ok if you have everything installed, but takes a bit f setting up.
Can you suggest an alternative that requires no up-front set up? I considered suggesting IMAPsize, but it requires more knowledge about what is going on. It is conceivable that the "other" account might have an IMAP migration tool like FastMail, but few other services do. Similarly, the capability to forward a whole bunch of emails as attachments and then use extract attachments into folder is an almost exclusively old FastMail feature (as well as quite laborious for more than a few hundred messages). Finally, if you only have a handful of folders, you might consider using POP retrieval one folder at a time to the "other" account (most services can support that) but it is messy, and I think the IMAP solution is better.
Old 17 May 2017, 02:50 PM   #352
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Can you suggest an alternative that requires no up-front set up?
Yes just use the old UI like I suggested, mind you its going to take a while to get everything out, but I suppose it also depends on how computer literate you are to set up IMAP.
Sorry I was just looking for the easy way out for the Op, as I don't know how computer literate he or she is....Hey some of us struggle with new technology
Old 17 May 2017, 02:53 PM   #353
altmodisch

Try looking at https://www.yippiemove.com
altmodisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 03:44 AM   #354
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Yes just use the old UI like I suggested, mind you its going to take a while to get everything out, but I suppose it also depends on how computer literate you are to set up IMAP.
Sorry I was just looking for the easy way out for the Op, as I don't know how computer literate he or she is....Hey some of us struggle with new technology
Downloading everything into Zip files (your suggestion) can be done just as easily in the new interface. Most email systems do not know how to upload a zip file containing messages. There are ways of extracting the messages from the ZIP file, and possibly loading them into some email clients, but this is more complicated than a copy and paste operation Bill and I consider easiest (unless you know a suitable trick we are unaware of).
Old 18 May 2017, 07:38 AM   #355
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

No you win...
Old 18 May 2017, 09:19 PM   #356
cowboy

I did try setting up Thunderbird a while ago. Everything seemed to go OK, but could never get it to work.....
Old 18 May 2017, 09:28 PM   #357
cowboy

p.s.

Terry

I went to a folder, selected several emails, I don't see a box at the bottom to download a zip file ??

not sure about the Classic UI you mentioned
Old 18 May 2017, 10:56 PM   #358
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
p.s.

Terry

I went to a folder, selected several emails, I don't see a box at the bottom to download a zip file ??

not sure about the Classic UI you mentioned
Downloading to a zip file in the modern interface is rather hard to find.

You must go to Settings -> Folders, then go to the bottom of the page and click Mass delete or remove duplicates. The Purge/download messages section allows you to download messages to a zip file.

A more flexible option for downloading to a zip file has been promised before the classic interface is retired. I have not check beta to see if it is there yet.

Before going to the trouble of creating such zip files, I would suggest you have a clear idea of what you would do with the files once you have them.
Old 19 May 2017, 10:50 PM   #359
cowboy

Not exactly sure what I would do with them, basically just saving them for reference later. As long as they are readable in some sort.
Old 19 May 2017, 11:05 PM   #360
cowboy

Just tested, worked fine.
DL and unzipped them, I clicked on one and it opened up in "windows live mail" . Not sure what that is. Is that something embedded ?

I was planning on opening it via Word pad or another text editor.