EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jul 2014, 09:06 AM   #16
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Do you mean the FROM field? I have a personality that is *@mydomain -- when I compose a message and select it, I have the option to enter an address in the FROM field.
Yeah I meant the from field, sorry. Nope I can only select the addresses in the dropdown menu in the new UI,
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2014, 12:16 PM   #17
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
..Nope I can only select the addresses in the dropdown menu in the new UI,
Well, that's what you are supposed to do! While in Compose, choose one which has a wildcard (such as *@gmail.com) and you will see a new Compose addressing field:
  • From addressing field appears above the To field
  • You can edit the address in the From field to anything you wish
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 04:23 PM   #18
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Entertaining. A security researcher discovered another way to send from "custom addresses" via fastmail and got upset he wasn't paid a bounty. I posted a reply here:

Quote:
As noted here in 2014, by design, fastmail has allowed users to "edit the address in the From field to anything you wish" : [link to the EMD post above this one]. It has been allowed since I've been a customer, which was a couple years before that. You just happened to find another way to do so without being aware that it was something they were explicitly aware of and allowing for years - it's a conscious design feature, not a bug. But perhaps they didn't explain any of this to you? They should have.
FYI. Sorry if this was covered 'round here at the time and I'm rehashing.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 05:10 PM   #19
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

If you use a wild card for your domain *@mydomain.com that will increase you spam very quickly.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:06 AM   #20
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
If you use a wild card for your domain *@mydomain.com that will increase you spam very quickly.
True if you're talking about setting that up as an alias, but this thread (most of which is from three years ago) is talking about using an identity (what used to be known as a "personality"), which doesn't inherently require that you also set up an alias.

Of course you'd need an alias for any specific addresses you want to receive replies at, but keep in mind that FastMail already supports plus and subdomain addressing dynamically, so for many users that's the main reason to use a wildcard identity (e.g. sending replies on the fly from addresses like yourname+extrastuff@yourdomain.com or extrastuff@yourname.yourdomain.com).
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 09:20 AM   #21
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I was just fiddling with identities and alias's so I thought I would just point out about the wild card alias using *@mydomain.com...but most people will know using *@mydomain.com will increase your spam.... but there may be a few who don't realise.

Last edited by Terry : 30 May 2017 at 12:41 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 01:50 PM   #22
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Of course, the Identity *@mydomain.com is not a risk, only the Alias. For anyone not aware, aliases affect messages coming in to your account; identities determine what you can use as the From address when sending out emails.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2017, 06:31 PM   #23
Shaligraminfote
= Permanently banned =

Classic UI Example

One of the best classic ui exampleTilt Brush, MailChimp,Patterning, Meter.Me
Shaligraminfote is offline   Reply With Quote