EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:30 AM   #151
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

In that case is there anyway of making the text smaller to say, the size of it in the post new thread/reply screen?
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:37 AM   #152
Sherry

If you have a scroll wheel mouse you can try holding down the ctrl key while scrolling the wheel up one notch as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 03:32 AM   #153
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
If you have a scroll wheel mouse you can try holding down the ctrl key while scrolling the wheel up one notch as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sherry
Although this is indeed a way to do it Sherry it's a workaround (that puts all the other www pages out of whack) Speaking only for myself, I also find the text to be rather large (compared to everything else on the web) It's a matter of perspective - although I am short sighted (and appreciate larger fonts) I really don't want to have to make custom font adjustments whenever I visit this site. Likely I will continue to adjust the fonts as I love posting here, but what about all the other EMD posters (and new people) - many first time visitors will be turned off on their first visit (imo)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 03:37 AM   #154
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
- many first time visitors will be turned off on their first visit (imo)
And many, that were turned off before, will like it now. I think that would depend on their system. For me it's great the way it is. The text does not look to big or to small. It's perfect and I imagine it may be that way for many. I no longer have to change the text in IE. I can just leave it on the default setting.

Sherry
Old 19 Mar 2007, 05:34 AM   #155
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
And many, that were turned off before, will like it now. I think that would depend on their system. For me it's great the way it is
What I do Sherry (being as I am short sighted and wear glasses) is to adjust the font size on my web browser, so that the majority of web sites (that I visit) show me the correct size text. Unfortunately this leaves the text at EMD looking totally ginormouse

The above is my system I guess - pray tell me what is yours
Old 19 Mar 2007, 05:51 AM   #156
Sherry

WinME and WinXP with IE6 and 17" flat panel with 800x600. Here's how it looks to me. EMD Text Size. Of course I don't know how the picture will look on your screen. Maybe the whole thing makes the text look big to you but to me it looks normal. How bout you. Can you show how it looks?

Sherry
Old 19 Mar 2007, 07:04 AM   #157
David
Ultimate Contributor

The web page looks smaller in the screenshot than it does in real life.

I am using an LCD screen at 1280 x 1024.

Here (after some kerfuffle)

Last edited by David : 19 Mar 2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 07:18 AM   #158
Sherry

Ok, that looks exactly like mine would look if I click on View/Text Size and click on Larger. Medium is the default. I don't think your text itself is enormously larger but makes it seem that way as it looks "Bold" giving it a much bigger look instead of just one size bigger. At least the ctrl+scroll one notch is quick and easy for those who need to drop it down one size then back up? Does anyone else's look dramatically different the David's and mine?

Sherry
Old 19 Mar 2007, 07:59 AM   #159
Edwin
 Administrator 

Ok, here's the thing. Browsers default to "Medium" so this forum is meant to look ok for the most number of people at "Medium" setting if they have "average" eyesight. It may look a little larger than some other sites because of all the things I've explained at length earlier in this thread, but the bottom line is that I design for the largest audience.

That said, it should work adequately at all other font/screen sizes... and with a font size change it should look just as good for anyone.

That's the problem with web design - the one thing you can GUARANTEE is that there will be an incredible mix of systems hitting any given site, so you can't please all the people all the time from the beginning...

... but by choosing a fluid design (page width adjusts itself as you expand/contract the browser window) and % fonts (fonts resize themselves as you change the font size setting of your browser) it's possible for every forum visitor to choose a combination of forum width and font size that matches their particular computing platform and visual acuity best.

I am guessing that perhaps 80-90% of visitors will find the current defaults perfectly usable and, to the other 10-20%, well, sorry for the inconvenience folks but you are in a minority in a situation where I can only pick ONE set of starting settings, so please continue to do what you have to do to read the forums comfortably!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 11:04 AM   #160
Camille
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The text is tiny in firefox on linux, and my fonts are set at 20 (which is huge) I had to switch to Windows so as to be able to read without squinting.
Thanks David for this tip. I was excited to see the upgrade here but had to move a bit away from my screen because of the huge font. (I'm using FF on XP with a res. 1152 x 864). Now things look better with smaller fonts.

PS. although I find that I have to keep selecting to decrease the font with each page I click in the forum, is there a permanent work around for while I'm browsing here?
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 11:51 AM   #161
David
Ultimate Contributor

One solution (which you might not like) is to use OE to read the Forums (and for nothing else) you could customize the font size on OE just for this website

Well I did warn you that you might not like this suggestion
Old 27 Mar 2007, 12:11 PM   #162
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
PS. although I find that I have to keep selecting to decrease the font with each page I click in the forum, is there a permanent work around for while I'm browsing here?
Hmm, if I hold down CTRL while scrolling the mouse wheel up one notch it makes things smaller and stays that way for all the EMD pages in both IE and FF. Doesn't' that work for you?

Sherry
Old 27 Mar 2007, 01:20 PM   #163
Camille
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks David I think I'll have to stick to decreasing the font here.

Sherry, I tried what you suggested, using my mouse button+ctrl to control the font size but I find once I navigate away from the current page and to other pages in EMD, it's back tot he large font.

Update: Preferred font size sticks if I navigate within the same tab but if I select a link to open in a new tab, default (in this case, large) fonts appear again.

Last edited by Camille : 27 Mar 2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: update
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 10:47 PM   #164
JRobert
Master of the @

I haven't tried this, but I'd guess that a Greasemonkey (Firefox add-on) script could be written to downsize the font for, e.g., any page served from this domain.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2007, 02:50 PM   #165
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille
Sherry, I tried what you suggested, using my mouse button+ctrl to control the font size but I find once I navigate away from the current page and to other pages in EMD, it's back tot he large font.
Strange.. If i do this it stays on ANY SITE i goto (I have to change it back)

Thats why i first made this suggestion days ago (Thanks Sherry for assisting him )
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote