EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 13 Jun 2017, 11:04 AM   #1
evilquoll

Exclamation Blatant fraud on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E4NOGJU/

The above listing embodies a type of fraud which (so I've heard) is often practised on eBay -- charge an apparently reasonable price for an item, which is given in large type up front, but also charge an exorbitant "shipping" fee in the small print. So you buy this one small choc bar, thinking that you've paid the advertised price of £2.70, only to find when it's delivered that you have actually been charged £11.66.

(I don't see how a shipping cost of £9 for one small item from Austria to Britain is realistic; I have, several times, had much heavier and bulkier items sent all the way from Hong Kong, and the shipping hasn't cost nearly as much.)

The worst part of this is, Amazon aren't allowing reviews pointing out that this is a rip-off (they have rejected at least three in the past 24 hours), so they are participating in the fraud.
evilquoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jun 2017, 05:25 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

It's not a fraud: before you go the the checkout the total cost is clearly displayed £2.70 + £8.96 UK delivery. Whether the delivery cost is too high is a different question, but the customer is shown the total price and has a chance to take it or leave it.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2017, 10:16 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
It's not a fraud: before you go the the checkout the total cost is clearly displayed £2.70 + £8.96 UK delivery. Whether the delivery cost is too high is a different question, but the customer is shown the total price and has a chance to take it or leave it.
It's similar when buying on eBay - sometimes what looks like good value is undermined by a high P&P. I might be interested in an item, but not interested enough to get (IMHO) ripped off.

Look elsewhere, you're not being forced to buy.

Caveat emptor.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2017, 06:37 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Not sure it rises to the level of "fraud," since they are not stating one thing and doing another. But, that doesn't mean it isn't a bad way of doing business. Not sure how or why Amazon rejects feedback on items, but whatever method they use I find that generally if an item is very popular and there is lots of feedback the more the star rating can be trusted. However, when something only has a few people providing opinions I often detect bias and/or misinformation. The most annoying to me is when they allow reviews to be posted that are not accurate--describing the wrong thing, or having factual errors. In one case I ordered something and they sent another product that did the same thing; however, they functioned completely differently.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote