EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:08 AM   #16
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVilde View Post
I didn't submit a support request to FastMail because I like FastMail, and it made me happier to assume it was a problem with Capital One.
From what you describe, I feel like it probably is on the other end, or somewhere in between, but presumably FastMail support could check log files and confirm whether FastMail is even seeing the messages touch their servers. If the messages aren't even arriving at the SMTP session level, then it's definitely going to be Capital One's problem, but only FastMail could tell you that for certain.

Quote:
I called them and got my account connected to my real non-alias email - it worked.
Assuming that your "real non-alias e-mail" uses the same domain name as the alias/subdomain address you were using, this makes it seem even more likely that it's a problem on Capital One's end.... I wonder if they've blocked sending certain types of emails (keeping in mind that different types of emails are often generated by different processes or even entirely different systems) to the specific address you were using for some reason.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:20 AM   #17
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Assuming that your "real non-alias e-mail" uses the same domain name as the alias/subdomain address you were using, this makes it seem even more likely that it's a problem on Capital One's end.... I wonder if they've blocked sending certain types of emails (keeping in mind that different types of emails are often generated by different processes or even entirely different systems) to the specific address you were using for some reason.

- they're not on the same domain. I have a fastmail.fm address (15 years!); I use an alias at one of the .coms for pretty much everything. And it works for pretty much everything. Except this.

I'll submit a support ticket, just in case it helps FastMail figure out something to help someone else in the future...
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:21 AM   #18
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Thanks again!
Old 27 Apr 2017, 12:34 PM   #19
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Just today didn't get two emails I should have gotten from my building (we get an email alert when we get a package; I knew I got the packages, but I didn't get the emails. My partner got the emails).

So these are all examples of emails that I know I should be getting, but I'm not receiving them. None of them are that big a deal. I'm increasingly concerned about the emails that I am not receiving that I don't know about... and that this doesn't really seem to be a new thing ...

Support ticket in. First level of support didn't know what was going on, but also didn't seem to understand my questions.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 06:40 PM   #20
MarcusMarcus

I've had something similar to this in the past, with Fastmail and a credit card company. I have a Fastmail address of the form <firstname><lastname>@fastmail.com, and a personal email address hosted by Fastmail of the form <firstname>@<firstname><lastname>.<tld>

I set the latter personal address as the contact address with my credit card company, and received all the usual junky email and notifications that a company sends out, all except my monthly credit card statement notification. The credit card company's support team gave the verbal equivalent of a shoulder shrug over the phone and told me to check my spam folder.

I raised a ticket with Fastmail support about it, and they had me run through a number of tests. Firstly, I changed the email address registered with the credit card company to the @fastmail.com one, but still didn't receive the statement notification email. Next, they recommended I change to a testing@<firstname><lastname>.fastmail.com alias. This worked, and Fastmail asked me to move the successful statement notification email to a special folder so they could analyze it. I then switched back to the @fastmail.com address at their request.

Needless to say, I didn't receive the next email notification at that address. Fastmail support actioned the ticked to a dev, who examined the incoming mail logs around the time of the expected email (bear in mind that these emails were sent once a month, with no process to provoke one in between, so this was a drawn out process...) and found no evidence of an email to me, filtered or otherwise, despite finding evidence of other emails from that credit card company getting through to other Fastmail users.

The dev finally came to the conclusion that:
"I suspect the sending end has some sort of filter which is responsible for the mails getting dropped. Try adding an alias in the Advanced->Aliases screen that is completely unrelated to your name, and use that as the address at your bank. I think that should work. I think its the part before the '@' that is causing the problem."

I wasn't especially convinced by the argument about the username before the '@' sign, and no amount of shouting at the credit card company would get them to put me in touch with higher level support to debug the problem. So I've basically just come to accept that I'm not going to get email notifications at my current email address.

I hope you get a better outcome with your ticket than I did.
MarcusMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2017, 07:25 PM   #21
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I had a similar problem a while back and it was something to do with the sending address in my sieve rules.
I must say it took at little while for me to work out what the problem was, Fastmail have changed a lot of the sieve codes and this in turn made my sieve work incorrectly, but in saying that my sieve script was very old....so really it was my fault...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 01:35 AM   #22
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusMarcus View Post
So I've basically just come to accept that I'm not going to get email notifications at my current email address.
The emails that I've identified as missing are mostly not that big a deal (tho I'd rather get them). The not being able to verify identity and therefore being locked out of accounts is super annoying, but ultimately I can eventually find a free 30 minutes to spend on the phone and get that straightened out (), but what else isn't getting delivered?
Old 28 Apr 2017, 06:05 AM   #23
TenFour
Master of the @

Here's what I would try, or maybe you already have: change the address for the credit card to a different one. The best would be Gmail--everybody delivers to Gmail no matter what. Have Gmail forward the email to your Fastmail account--done!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 03:04 AM   #24
Gankaku

I've had this EXACT problem too. I also have my own domain that's set up coming into Fastmail. So I was pretty sure the problem was on the Fastmail end. Unless Namecheap had some sort of pre-filtering before it got forwarded to Fastmail to handle, but I didn't think so.

I'm pretty sure I posted this problem too and someone asked me to change my filtering to basic. I think I've set mine since to Custom but perhaps you could try changing that and seeing if that helps at all.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 06:57 AM   #25
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Personally I don't like the way Fastmail's two-level filtering works . I prefer a separate folder for high scoring spam. It's easy enough to do with seive though.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 07:41 AM   #26
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

I had something similar happen, and I blame it on the sending company/service itself (not FM), for various reasons.

I typically use email addresses with services/companies/sites in this format:

companyname@mydomain.com

I do this for various reasons (you can probably guess).

Suddenly 1 website I use I couldn't log into because the 2FA-via-email token wasn't arriving.

Long story short: after a bunch of back-and-forth with their support team, I eventually got my registered email address changed to something else: notcompanyname@mydomain.com

And that worked.

My best guess is that they erroneously decided my "theircompanyname@mydomain.com" address was either spam or a throwaway address because their name appeared before the @ and it immediately got filtered/dropped, not considering it was a perfectly valid, and confirmed, address. Probably not a decision made consciously by some IT exec, but just done in some deep down filtering layer with good intention, perhaps even by a third-party or something.

Last edited by DumbGuy : 29 Apr 2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typo + more info
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 08:14 PM   #27
gareth

I've had this problem a number of times (where transactional emails are received at gmail but not fastmail, when respective addresses are provided) - I wonder if it's to do with greylisting...

https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/smtpchecks.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

and particularly s. "Other problems" in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting#How_it_works

...so possibly something out-of-date or badly configured at the sending end?

[edit] Not that this answers the case where beforethe@ is dropped at the sending end, but I think this is still a problem in some cases [/edit]
gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 06:14 AM   #28
KingOfTheData

Same issue here

I'm having the same issue here. Emails are being bounced that have been sent to me. I discussed this thoroughly in my forum post here.

I highly recommend to stay away from Fastmail for businesses. Not being able to receive certain business emails can be very problematic especially if they are time sensitive.

For personal use, it might be okay to use but if you've read this post, sign up for an account, and have the same issues, then don't be surprised if you can't receive bank statements or important bills via email.
KingOfTheData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 12:21 AM   #29
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheData View Post
I'm having the same issue here. Emails are being bounced that have been sent to me. I discussed this thoroughly in my forum post here.

I highly recommend to stay away from Fastmail for businesses. Not being able to receive certain business emails can be very problematic especially if they are time sensitive.

For personal use, it might be okay to use but if you've read this post, sign up for an account, and have the same issues, then don't be surprised if you can't receive bank statements or important bills via email.
This has been resolved.
Quote:
*********************** THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED. PLEASE IGNORE THE TITLE OF THIS POST *****************************

Fastmail was able to figure out this issue. It was actually user error and DNSSEC was being used on the domain level. Please see resolution below and I'd highly recommend Fastmail for any personal or business user.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote