EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 31 Aug 2016, 02:48 PM   #16
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
It would also help if Fastmail staff didn't ask for the password to provide support, if you open a ticket you have to enter your password in the form so customers get used to give it away.
Per our support policies, FastMail staff will never ask you for your password, and new support staff are trained accordingly.

If someone claiming to be from support does ask for your password, check for the green badge (support web interface) or green tick (support email). If there's no markers then it's likely a scam. (note that the Classic UI and IMAP/POP clients will not show a green tick).

If it really does appear to be from support, please let me know directly (robn@fastmail.com) with the ticket number and I will follow up.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:59 PM   #17
malcarada

Quote:
I could be totally wrong here malcarada but I have never been asked for my password when I have contacted support.
There used to be a box in the ticket form where you had to enter your password before you were able to open the ticket.

I don't know if it has been removed because I can't see it now, but that it was I was referring to. You were already logged into your account but you had to enter the password to contact support.
malcarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:11 PM   #18
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
There used to be a box in the ticket form where you had to enter your password before you were able to open the ticket.
Right. That's different to a human asking for your password. But as you note, its now gone. Instead you're redirected through the login forms first (mostly so that the support form doesn't bypass 2FA).
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:12 PM   #19
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
I deleted the phone number but left the thread so members can see Robn's (Fastmail) statement that calling that number will expedite stealing of your identity.
IMHO it would have been better to delete the thread.

As it stands now, it looks disjointed.

Robn (as a representative of FastMail) should have created a new thread advising everyone there's no phone support.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:19 PM   #20
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I am not going to disagree with you malcarada and wish you a very good day.
Why are you not going to wish him a very good day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
IMHO it would have been better to delete the thread.

As it stands now, it looks disjointed.

Robn (as a representative of FastMail) should have created a new thread advising everyone there's no phone support.
I came to EMD just a few minutes ago and found this thread. At first, I was happy because I thought fastmail had finally gotten phone support, but after opening the e-mail I quickly found out that not to be true. It's perfectly ok to leave this thread here, and the advice robn gave might be useful for several people.

Last edited by 17pm : 31 Aug 2016 at 05:27 PM.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:33 PM   #21
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
It's really not my job to refute every scammer on the internet, nor is it my job to regurgitate information that is trivially obtained via a Google or FM Help search. It's also not my job to moderate this forum.

Last edited by robn : 31 Aug 2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 07:57 PM   #22
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
..if you open a ticket you have to enter your password in the form so customers get used to give it away.
I haven't opened a support ticket in a while, but I believe that field is optional and the form can be submitted without that field being completed.

- bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 08:07 PM   #23
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

No password Required.... https://www.fastmail.com/html/?MSignal=Support-**
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2016, 08:54 PM   #24
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
It's really not my job to refute every scammer on the internet, nor is it my job to regurgitate information that is trivially obtained via a Google or FM Help search. It's also not my job to moderate this forum.
What did you have for breakfast today, Rob?

It's bad enough that Fastmail doesn't offer phone or immediate support, but for its representative on this sub-forum to post a defensive, condescending and insulting reply is unacceptable.

Whether you realize it or not, most of the members who post on this sub-forum are Fastmail subscribers or may be looking to subscribe -- in other words, some of them help pay your salary.

I remember having a dialogue with Rob Mueller (who never posted anything here with the tenor of your reply) where I reminded him that it takes a long time to gain a customer, but only a second to lose one. I'm reminding you as well now. If you can't be nice, don't post (or let somebody with a thicker skin do it).

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2016, 07:53 AM   #25
Luzo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
If you can't be nice, don't post (or let somebody with a thicker skin do it).
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2016, 04:04 PM   #26
mballas
Essential Contributor

Perhaps Robn was a bit thin-skinned in his response but it seems to me that some members go an extra mile to be rude to FM reps. This forum is independent of FM and it is unfair to demand their reps post additional threads when the gist of this thread quite clearly stated that the original posting was a phishing exploit.
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote