EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Aug 2016, 10:49 AM   #1
pjroutledge

Legacy plans and CalDAV

I have a grandfathered Family account, and when the new security arrangements kicked off I set my phone's email client up with the new CalDAV settings (ie with an app password).

It stopped working a few days ago, and today I tried unsuccessfully to get it working again.

Then I noticed this line in the online help: "CalDAV access is not available on legacy Personal/Family Lite/Full plans or legacy Business Basic plans." (From the server names and ports page.)

I was under the impression that the grandfathered plans would retain their full capabilities, features, etc.

Does the reference to 'legacy' mean the now grandfathered Family plan? Am I misunderstanding or misinterpreting the CalDAV access note on the server names and ports page?

Peter
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Aug 2016, 01:06 PM   #2
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Lite, Full (Personal & Family plans) and Basic (Business plans) accounts never had CalDAV.

Between 25 July and 24 August there were no service-level-based protocol restrictions. There were some boring internal code structure problems that meant we had to drop them when we deployed the new auth system, and it took me a month to get them back in.

That seems to match up with your timing?
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2016, 03:32 PM   #3
pjroutledge

Kinda ...

I checked more carefully and my own account (on my Family plan) is 'Enhanced' - I had thought 'Full' was the top level when I wrote the message. Should've checked.

But the timing of the 'code structure problems', and the fix, does seem to almost coincide with the start of my problem. My phone's last successful CalDAV logon according to the login log was the evening of 23 August, at about 7:40pm.

Any attempts between 23 August and this morning (using the app password I'd set up shortly after the new security arrangements were implemented) were unsuccessful with an odd error message about insufficient space. There is still over 2 GB of space on the phone, though.

My attempts to set up the phone again today, with a new app password, have failed with a message about the server not being found. My phone can't 'autodiscover'. I've tried both messagingengine.com and fastmail.com, with a few variants of the trailing folder structure (/dav/calendar/user/... etc)

My phone is a Nokia N9 (OS is Meego, the CalDAV client is native).

PS the CalDAV URL given on the Calendars Settings screen still refers to messagingengine.com, eg https://caldav.messagingengine.com/dav/calendars/user/<username@domain.tld>/Default/

Last edited by pjroutledge : 27 Aug 2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Add PS
Old 27 Aug 2016, 03:47 PM   #4
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
But the timing of the 'code structure problems', and the fix, does seem to almost coincide with the start of my problem. My phone's last successful CalDAV logon according to the login log was the evening of 23 August, at about 7:40pm.
Close enough. I can't remember exactly when the deployment happened, but I'm talking Melbourne time, which is the 23rd in some places. I'd be happy to assume that was the change for now.

Quote:
Any attempts between 23 August and this morning (using the app password I'd set up shortly after the new security arrangements were implemented) were unsuccessful with an odd error message about
insufficient space. There is still over 2 GB of space on the phone, though.
I can't speak to "insufficient space". If your on an Enhanced account though it should work.

Quote:
My attempts to set up the phone again today, with a new app password, have failed with a message about the server not being found. My phone can't 'autodiscover'. I've tried both messagingengine.com and fastmail.com, with a few variants of the trailing folder structure (/dav/calendar/user/... etc)
It sounds like you have them right, but just to be sure, the URLs you want are:

https://caldav.fastmail.com/dav/cale...n.com/Default/ (app password only)
https://caldav.messagingengine.com/d...n.com/Default/ (app or non-2FA master password)

I show the messagingengine.com name just in case its useful for debugging.

If you can PM me with your username I can check your config and the server logs to see if I can get more information.

Quote:
PS the CalDAV URL given on the Calendars Settings screen still refers to messagingengine.com, eg https://caldav.messagingengine.com/dav/calendars/user/<username@domain.tld>/Default/
Ooh, good catch. I'll get that fixed up.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 03:56 PM   #5
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
PS the CalDAV URL given on the Calendars Settings screen still refers to messagingengine.com,
Fixed. Thanks again!
Old 27 Aug 2016, 04:29 PM   #6
pjroutledge

I'm pleased to report that my CalDAV now seems to be working!

I don't think anything has changed at FastMail (apart from the CalDAV URL now referring to fastmail.com), but It's working.

Thanks heaps to robn for the quick response.

Old 27 Aug 2016, 05:06 PM   #7
pjroutledge

CalDAV tip

I just found, experimentally, that I can get CalDAV on my N9 phone - which doesn't have autodiscover - to find multiple calendars.

If the default FastMail CalDAV URL provided on the Calendar Settings page is truncated, to exclude 'Default', ie to

https://caldav.fastmail.fm/dav/calendars/user/<username@domain.tld>/

the phone will find and sync all of my calendars.

Note that the trailing '/' is required.

I'm happy