EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Dec 2012, 10:01 AM   #1
matthewc

Subdomains problems

I have been using subdomain addressing for a long time.

I have an alias that I use for subdomain addressing. As an example my alias is example@example.com

I give out the address business@example.example.com

I give out another address as secondbusiness@example.example.com

I have given out hundreds of different addresses using this alias for the past ten years or so.

If the business replied to example@example.com then in the webi nterface when I replied it would have example@example.com as the "From" address.

This does not work any more. I also noticed that I can no longer change the "From" adress manually to whatever I choose.

Any thoughts.

I still receive mail addressed to the subdomains.
matthewc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Dec 2012, 11:59 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Create wildcard subdomain personality to allow subdomain emails to work properly

You can make this work well if you create a personality using the wildcard address at that subdomain. Here are the details when using the new interface (not using the classic interface):
  • Log into your account using the new interface and select Settings (upper right) > Advanced settings (at the lower left)
    • In the Account Preferences screen (end of Compose section), set From when replying to Always Original. One of the Best Personality choices would probably also work. This controls the From address used when you reply to an email sent to one of the special subdomain addresses. Click Save Changes at the top or bottom after making any changes.
    • Click Personalities at the left, then click Personalities at the upper left until you see your existing personalities shown at the left, then click Create New Personality at the bottom of the existing personalities list at the left.
      • The new personality needs to be a wildcard * at your subdomain address.
      • So if your alias was user@example.org, you need to create a personality for the email address *@user.example.org and give it an appropriate display name. I use the same display name as the email address, but you can name it anything you can recognize.
      • Be sure to enter the appropriate Full Name, Signature, Sent Items, and any other items which are needed, then click Save personality at the top or bottom.
  • Now when you Compose a new message, you will see the new wildcard subdomain personality in the sending personality pick list (above the To field at the top).
    • After you select the wildcard subdomain personality, you will see a new From field appear, with a default address at the subdomain. You can now edit the From address as needed when composing the message.
    • When replying to a message sent to any user at that wildcard subdomain personality address, the reply From address should now be automatically filled in correctly, but you can edit it if you wish.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2012, 08:54 PM   #3
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Bill,

Thanks for that explanation. I had seen instructions before, but these were clear enough for me to follow.
GeraldR is offline   Reply With Quote