EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Dec 2006, 07:54 AM   #1
seekdestroy16

Specific Email Notification Program?

Hello everyone, I google searched Email Forums and you guys were on the top of the list! so here I am. I am curious if there is a program that can notify me when I have received email from a specific sender. I use the popular free service called Hotmail and I'd like to be notified when my girlfriend sends me emails. I would like it to be able to play a custom sound when the email has been received into my mailbox. Is this possible?. Thanks in advance!.
seekdestroy16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Dec 2006, 09:10 AM   #2
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

PopPeeper and Eprompter are two I am aware of.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/browse/E-Mail/Utilities
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
seekdestroy16

Quote:
Originally posted by beeboy
PopPeeper and Eprompter are two I am aware of.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/browse/E-Mail/Utilities
I tryed pop peeper but I cannot get it to work with my hotmail. If you were able to get yours to work with hotmail, what do you ahve to do?. I created an account and all though I click check mail and nothing happens!.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 06:06 AM   #4
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Hotmail doesn't support pop, it supports Microsofts own http-based protocol, but only if you have a paid account or had the account before they restricted it.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2006, 06:17 AM   #5
nbarr

PopPeeper will work with free hotmail accounts. You just need to get and install the Webmail plugin from the PopPeeper website.

I doubt that you will find any program that will notify you when mail arrives at hotmail from a specific sender but I could be wrong.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:26 AM   #6
chrisretusn

Re: Specific Email Notification Program?

Quote:
Originally posted by seekdestroy16
I am curious if there is a program that can notify me when I have received email from a specific sender. I use the popular free service called Hotmail and I'd like to be notified when my girlfriend sends me emails. I would like it to be able to play a custom sound when the email has been received into my mailbox. Is this possible?. Thanks in advance!.
This could be done if your client program supports filters with an action item to play a sound.

You would also need to use a third party program such as FreePOPs to access your Hotmail messages from within your client.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2006, 01:09 AM   #7
seekdestroy16

Re: Re: Specific Email Notification Program?

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisretusn
This could be done if your client program supports filters with an action item to play a sound.

You would also need to use a third party program such as FreePOPs to access your Hotmail messages from within your client.
Emprompter has treated me well so far, even though I cannot choose a specific sound to play when I receive email. My messenger Trillian, does not play a very noticable sound when I receive new mail. And I hate windows live messenger along with AIM. Trillian does all of them. I dont care for audio chat or video chat either. Thanks for the help anyways everybody, I shall come back if I am ever to need assistance in an email-related issue.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 03:05 AM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Re: Re: Re: Specific Email Notification Program?

Although I haven't used the Windows Live messenger, I've long thought the only things worse than the Yahoo messenger were the MSN and AIM mesengers -- the lesser of evils, as it were, the latest version of the AIM messenger (called Triton, if I recall correctly) being such a system resource hog that I've never tried running it again after logging into it the first time.

But although it's been quite awhile since I last used Trillion, I seemed to recall that it was possible to customize its sound alerts for different "events", as I seem to recall setting different sound files to alert myself of my various "contacts" logging in, etc. So I would think it would be possible to select your own mail alert sound file as well. Are you sure you've checked the options thoroughly for that?

Last edited by xmailer : 13 Dec 2006 at 03:10 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2006, 05:32 AM   #9
JRobert
Master of the @

MailAlert will do what you want for any POP account - queries it as often as you select, and if it finds new message that matches criteria you have specified, it can play a sound, launch an application, etc. I used it play one sound for mail from my family, another if from my girlfriend, another if it was addressed my work alias, etc.

I don't know how to get POP access to hotmail, but if one of the previously mentioned programs can do that much for you, MailAlert can do the rest.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote