EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 3 Mar 2019, 10:30 AM   #1
thisisnotgood

Unhappy Even with all the Android Gmail updates..

it still says "me" instead of the recipients name in the Sent folder email list. This has been going on for years, and Gmail works on making their apps and desktop sites usually worse yet ignores actual issues going on forever. I have searched everywhere for a solution, and none have every been found since there is not one and it's in the App programming.
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Mar 2019, 11:08 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

It's the same bad design in the iOS app. The message listing shows "me" (along with my avatar) and you have to select a message to see the actual To recipient. The web interface shows it correctly, with the recipient name in the message list.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2019, 08:09 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Agreed, the Android app, even the latest version, only shows the sender and not the recipient in the Sent view. However, search is your friend anyway with Gmail. Just type in the name you are looking for and you are good to go. You don't even have to spell it correctly to get usable results. I long ago stopped worrying about labels and such in Gmail--just use search--it is faster and better.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2019, 11:44 PM   #4
thisisnotgood

Sure, there is search...but why can't they just fix this? They spend so much resources on making what they have worse and making the GUI's uglier which is sadly a trend (look at Windows). Also, they try to make desktop look like mobile. For example, look what they did to Google Voice desktop. It was a great GUI and very functional. Then they decided to mess with it and now it can't do half the things it did and the most user unfriendly piece of junk. It's been never fixed after over two years. They actually left the classic Voice up (which is a good thing) because they have to for the missing functions on the new.

On a side note regarding the Gmail app, it's nice that it allows for multiple accounts but it would be great if they use a different color for each account instead of only red. That way, you can instantly know what account you are in when you open the app which would be very helpful for people that use it for multiple accounts. If they would actually make real improvements with updates instead of just updating for the sake of updating...
Old 4 Mar 2019, 12:23 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

I like the new Gmail interfaces on desktop and Android. I know they tested the changes and went with what the majority liked. I have worked a lot in customer service. Whenever a change is made in a product you will hear loudly from the people who don't like it, but the vast majority that like it tend to remain silent. Sales and usage trends will tell you whether or not a change has been successful.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2019, 06:31 AM   #6
thisisnotgood

I don't dislike the Gmail App or the desktop Gmail, it's just that I wish they would fix the "me" issue that has been going on for years. And it's in the App itself as I have an old phone with an older version on it (6.11.6.140557227) and it does not have the issue.

Of course a pretty simple fix would be to download the APK file for the older version I know works and deselect Auto update but I don't see why I should or would have to do that.

I do absolutely hate the desktop voice though.