EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 May 2014, 06:23 PM   #1
zinneken

Protonmail & privacy

I just sent an email today asking the guys at protonmail 3 things:

1. if they are subject to any US inquiries since they have an office there
2. if they foresee servers to be located at some point in the US, which would put them under US un-privacy.
3. if when a court order for information is received they will inform the individual user that information has been given

I'll post back when I hear back, or maybe they can reply here.

Disclaimer: as with most of these threads, complete privacy on the internet doesn't really exist. One can only try to do as good a job as possible. So this thread is not about complete privacy, just about understanding how private protonmail really is.

Last edited by zinneken : 26 May 2014 at 06:42 PM.
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 May 2014, 04:42 PM   #2
zinneken

Just following up on this, there has been no reply from protonmail to my email request, and they don't seem to reply here on the forum either. Have sent them a PM just in case, but looks like their support is iffy.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 09:16 PM   #3
zinneken

Finally got a reply over the weekend:
1. they don't have offices in the US, they do have a phone number there (could be voip), and developers who are affiliated with MIT. Of course these can be pressured to code backdoors in, especially MIT.
2. "the servers will always be in Switzerland" Of course that doesn't say they won't have servers/equipment in the US as well. In fact, with developers in the US, they kind of have hardware there.
3. they "only have to comply with a swiss court order", which implies that if the court order asks for not telling a user they will do so, and if there is a US court order they might consider it.

Another (swiss) privacy initiative full of (cheese) holes to the US building reputation and customers on (hollow) privacy statements.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 02:42 PM   #4
zdt

thanks

Thank you for your research and for the interesting points you make.
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote