EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:46 AM   #481
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim
While sympathetic to those who prefer the classic interface, I think this attack on Bron is unfair.
Hmmmmm why is it unfair???

I TRIED TO BE NICE TO BRONG and kinda beg for a way to be able to access my email until they do away with free accounts.. He didnt reply to my PM.... He doesnt give a rats tail and its sad...........

They should not drop classic interface until 31 July because thats when they are dropping member accts and FREE accounts..... (Do everything @ once)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:52 AM   #482
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Now you see why Fastmail staff doesn't like to get on this forum. I hope a moderator cuts back on all of the screaming. If someone doesn't like a service they can stop using it. Asking for something a thousand times doesn't help, and if I was running the company I would ignore those who scream and listen to those who quietly state their arguments a limited number of times. It's their company, not yours.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:54 AM   #483
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
If you were sorry you wouldnt be doing this..... You dont care and its sad.....

Whatever is easier for you and screw the user
Any argument that starts from the perspective that IE6 is the only secure version of any web browser ever comes from a reality that I can't live in. At some point it's necessary to stop engaging with that world view.

I provided multiple options for ways to continue to use FastMail, but they require giving up on deeply held conspiracy theories. I can't do any more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore
Is the Classic UI code not compatible with the New UI code base??
ie. u can't just copy and paste code.. lol ahh yeah...
My kids and I watched an Honest Trailer for Star Wars a little while ago, and now our goto quote when any of us has a completely incorrect understanding about something is That's not how the Force works. No, we can't just copy and paste code between the systems, they're in different languages and completely different architectures.

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:57 AM   #484
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
No, we can't just copy and paste code between the systems, they're in different languages and completely different architectures.

Bron.
lol.. all right x(
but about my other question... do u have a eta on the exact time?

what languages are they written in if you don't mind me asking??
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:00 AM   #485
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
How about increasing the storage space?
How much email storage do you really need? I have the middle account level (Standard with 25 GB email storage). I have over 100,000 emails stored in my account, and they use 35% of that space. A Professional account has 100 GB of storage, so that would allow about 1.2 million emails to be stored in my account. Do you need more than that?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:07 AM   #486
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
lol.. all right x(
but about my other question... do u have a eta on the exact time?

what languages are they written in if you don't mind me asking??
I don't have ETA. Most new features are on hold right now because we're in the middle of the technology transition that removing classic is part of, so there are multiple incompatible copies of everything that need to be kept in sync for every changed. It's really quite painful and slow and error prone for everyone until we get that cleaned up.

Languages: classic was written almost entirely in Perl with a little bit of Javascript sugar on top. New interface is almost entirely Javascript with a little bit of Perl providing backend services. All the javascript for the new interface is new and works quite differently, and the Perl has changed from generating HTML to providing an API service via JSON for the javascript to access.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:11 AM   #487
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
How much email storage do you really need? I have the middle account level (Standard with 25 GB email storage). I have over 100,000 emails stored in my account, and they use 35% of that space. A Professional account has 100 GB of storage, so that would allow about 1.2 million emails to be stored in my account. Do you need more than that?

Bill
It is possible to "stack" up to 3 Professional accounts together for a 300Gb total quota if you want. A single account larger than that starts to hit index sizes that our software can't handle, so we decided that was a realistic upper bound on what we're willing to support.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:18 AM   #488
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
I don't have ETA. Most new features are on hold right now because we're in the middle of the technology transition that removing classic is part of, so there are multiple incompatible copies of everything that need to be kept in sync for every changed. It's really quite painful and slow and error prone for everyone until we get that cleaned up.

Languages: classic was written almost entirely in Perl with a little bit of Javascript sugar on top. New interface is almost entirely Javascript with a little bit of Perl providing backend services. All the javascript for the new interface is new and works quite differently, and the Perl has changed from generating HTML to providing an API service via JSON for the javascript to access.
ok...
ooh my that does sound like a headache.... loi
so its npt as easy as selecting the folder the Classic UI program code is in and hitting SHIFT+DELETE.. lol ehh yeah...

ooh my "Perl" that language is "ancient" loi
wow..... sounds like my feature requests would be painful ;_;

.... https://www.perl.org/
ooh my so PERL is still alive and being developed?
for a sec I thought it was a dead language like Latin...

"a high-level general-purpose programming language used especially for developing Web applications"
ok. loi
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:33 AM   #489
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
ok...
ooh my that does sound like a headache.... loi
so its npt as easy as selecting the folder the Classic UI program code is in and hitting SHIFT+DELETE.. lol ehh yeah...

ooh my "Perl" that language is "ancient" loi
wow..... sounds like my feature requests would be painful ;_;

.... https://www.perl.org/
ooh my so PERL is still alive and being developed?
for a sec I thought it was a dead language like Latin...

"a high-level general-purpose programming language used especially for developing Web applications"
ok. loi
Perl (version 5) is still a pretty interesting language that is seeing ongoing active development. Its strength is no longer in the web space (where JavaScript is really taking over). However, Perl with Moose is one of the best modern object oriented platforms for many applications.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:11 AM   #490
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

IT IS DONE... THE FastMail "CLASSIC UI" IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE the "Classic UI"
You will be MISSED...!

lol this is all so emotional and depressing for me..
HENCE all the melodrama...!
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:21 AM   #491
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

For those unable to deal with the loss of the classic interface on their own, be aware that low cost counselling is available in many areas. In urgent cases, you can also contact your local suicide prevention hotline.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:28 AM   #492
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
For those unable to deal with the loss of the classic interface on their own, be aware that low cost counselling is available in many areas. In urgent cases, you can also contact your local suicide prevention hotline.
LOL good grief...

lol yeah right.. " low cost " lol anything related to DRs cost a small fortune most of the time.. ;p
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:59 AM   #493
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I would ignore those who scream, and listen to those who quietly state their arguments a limited number of times.
Wrong. They ignored those of us who did that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
In urgent cases, you can also contact your local suicide prevention hotline.
I'm not laughing.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:10 PM   #494
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Mod., this thread can be closed now.

Last edited by Berenburger : 30 Jun 2017 at 11:42 PM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:12 PM   #495
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm
Wrong. They ignored those of us who did that, too.

I'm not laughing.
Im not laughing either......... People do not value GOOD these days and instead settle for crap and its sad....
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote