EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Apr 2004, 12:28 AM   #1
cashton

Unhappy Emails pretending to be from me!

I've just recieved a rather puzzling email message say my email to *********** couldn't be delivered because of yada yada yada

well not those exact words but you get the picture the thing is I haven't sent an email to the address stated.
The ways I can think of this happening are
1) someone has hacked into my account and is sending messages as me ...... My password was getting a bit old so its been replaced with a new random one which I'm having trouble remembering
2) I've got an virus from somewhere but I tend to have my Antivirus prog (Grisoft Free AVG) updated very regularly
3) Someone is falseifing email headers to be "from" me this is something I know next to nothing about or how to combat it.

Can anyone think of anything I've missed or should be doing?

On a possibly unrelated issue I keep getting virused messages from Admin@durma.gov.ru that fastmail is kindly rejecting for me.

EDIT Should really proof read these things
cashton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Apr 2004, 12:34 AM   #2
Daniel S

Combination of 2 and 3: a virus is pretending to send mails from you. The virus has your email address, but you are not infected (someone who has your address is).
FAQ thread question 3.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 02:53 PM   #3
aflynn79

I still use my first e-mail address, established with my ISP in 1995 - so I have seen everything there is to see in SPAM! One of those is the apparently self-addressed e-mails. I think the addresses are harvested and used to catch our attention more than anything else. Often the address is placed in the TO and FROM address lines of the spam I receive.
aflynn79 is offline   Reply With Quote