EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Jul 2017, 04:41 AM   #1
walpurg

Message size display issue

In the 'new'/JS interface, is there an officially supported way to have message sizes displayed in themes other than Classic without having to sort by size? I'd like to use another theme and still see the sizes of new messages with attachments. Sorting by size is inconvenient for this, because it moves the messages I'm interested in to who knows where in the list and pinning those messages every time so they'd stay up top is also less than ideal.
walpurg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jul 2017, 06:46 AM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Other than sorting by size to see the sizes, then re-selecting whatever entry was selected in the drop down at first, I know not of a way to be able able to do this. I'm sure there's a way to do it with a modified CSS hack, but I haven't had enough of a desire to figure it out yet.

- Bruce

edit: This is the CSS code to display the message size, see other posts about the Stylish add-on for Firefox.
Code:
.v-MailboxItem-size {
    display: block;
}

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 5 Jul 2017 at 09:45 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2017, 09:53 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I believe that Fastmail went too far in simplifying their mail listing format. They need to either add more themes or (even better) allow the color scheme and which contents are displayed to be separately controlled. They decided that they needed to remove system supported user css/js due to security concerns -- I think someone got a prize for showing them the security holes.

One partial solution is to use your favorite theme and sort order but use a search to only show messages with attachments or large messages. For example, try these searches:
  • HASATT - only shows messages which contain attachments (must be capitalized)
  • larger:200k - only shows messages with a size > 200K
You can save searches with a simple name so you quickly use them without looking up the syntax.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2017, 06:31 AM   #4
walpurg

@somdcomputerguy
Thanks a lot for looking this up! I'm not sure I want to install yet another extension just for this, though (already have something like 35 active ones). I guess I'll probably stick with the Classic theme for now.

@n5bb
Agreed, styling and content selection should definitely be separate. At least I don't think this feature falls into the category of 'the very definition of terms like "niche" and "edge case," [benefitting] a vanishingly small number of customers', as someone recently put it.

I suppose I could save a search like "HASATT since:1w" sorted by size but having to use a search for an obvious piece of information like this frankly feels stupid. I also see no convenient way to do the current folder vs all mail switch with saved searches (like you can in the search field), because I'd normally want to search only the current folder, but I'm obviously not going to save this search separately for each folder.
walpurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2017, 08:57 AM   #5
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

there are plenty of grievances with the New UI (JS/CSS/Perl, in that order)..

like if u see my posts in this thread... hmm. its hard to get a hard to get a hard link to my specific post so I will just quote myself...
Quote:
- Folder counts (NEW/total)(right margin aligned)
- Trash folder's empty link
- Classic UI's search results display per folder headers and separate each folder's readout by a [hr] aka...
which can be done as an optional settings so that its not present for those that disliked it..

and I started this new Stylish css hacks topic to kinda keep all new tweaks there.. btw Stylish is a...
Firefox Extension(XUL/XPCOM, I think I don't know if its been ported to Web-Extension yet..) ..
CUSTOM CSS Tweaks for FastMail's New UI, using Firefox Extension Stylish!
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I believe that Fastmail went too far in simplifying their mail listing format. They need to either add more themes or (even better) allow the color scheme and which contents are displayed to be separately controlled.
Bill
Lets hope they make that a priority...
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote