EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Mar 2024, 08:42 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Email providers with most users

I was surprised to see this list from about one year ago showing Proton as the fifth largest email provider by number of users. Proton ranks below Yahoo, but above Zoho, GMX, and AOL. I wonder how many Gmail users are also iCloud and/or Outlook users? I know lots of people who have all three addresses.

#1 Gmail 1.5 billion
#2 iCloud 850 million
#3 Outlook 400 million
#4 Yahoo 230 million
#5 Proton 50 million
#6 Zoho 15 million
#7 GMX 11 million
#8 AOL 1.5 million

https://www.sellcell.com/blog/most-p...mber-of-users/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Mar 2024, 03:54 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don’t believe that list. They seem to be giving a list of “free” email providers, but if you look at their references you will see that Proton is supposed to have 50 million accounts of all types (not just email), and of course they have many paid accounts. I would guess that the vast majority of those are VPN services.

When I search through my 20 years of accumulated emails, I can find the following unique users who have sent email to me at the four company Proton domains:
  • proton.me — 0
  • protonmail.com — 4
  • pm.me — 3
  • protonmail.ch — 0
I see many more AOL.com addresses than Proton.

Of course, I’m in the US. My assumption is that the list would be completely different in Russia, Egypt, Nigeria, India, China, and Indonesia.

And it’s possible to have a free email account for years and not use it (as long as you have enough activity that it isn’t closed). I have email accounts at yahoo.com, AOL.com, gmail.com, and a few others that I don’t regularly use. I got those accounts so that my own desirable email address was reserved. Use of business and personal domains makes this harder to check.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2024, 04:13 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I don’t believe that list. They seem to be giving a list of “free” email providers, but if you look at their references you will see that Proton is supposed to have 50 million accounts of all types (not just email), and of course they have many paid accounts. I would guess that the vast majority of those are VPN services.
I found this statement on one of their job listings:

Quote:
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts.
https://boards.eu.greenhouse.io/proton/jobs/4224233101

OTOH, I did a quick search of my 24,000 messages in my Gmail account and I found one person using Proton. And only one journalist I emailed a couple of times. I am also in the USA.

Last edited by TenFour : 11 Mar 2024 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 06:34 AM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I have got 100 million emails from tech lists.
I think I have the real data in email industry including providers ranking.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2024, 05:26 PM   #5
xylon

This list seems to leave out some large email services, such as 163.com,QQ.com, etc
xylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2024, 07:54 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I have got 100 million emails from tech lists.
I think I have the real data in email industry including providers ranking.
Can you let us know your "real data"?
Old 12 Mar 2024, 08:56 AM   #7
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Interesting, thanks. I would have expected Yahoo about Outlook.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2024, 08:25 PM   #8
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post

When I search through my 20 years of accumulated emails, I can find the following unique users who have sent email to me at the four company Proton domains:
  • proton.me — 0
  • protonmail.com — 4
  • pm.me — 3
  • protonmail.ch — 0
I see many more AOL.com addresses than Proton.

Of course, I’m in the US. My assumption is that the list would be completely different in Russia, Egypt, Nigeria, India, China, and Indonesia.

[snip]

Bill
I use my own domains at Proton.
Very seldom use their domains for sending mail.

Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2024, 04:47 AM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb
I don’t believe that list. They seem to be giving a list of “free” email providers
Yes and there isnt many free ones left
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote