EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Oct 2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Grhm
Essential Contributor

One mail, many 'from' addresses?

Hi, all.
For some time now I have adopted an excellent wheeze that I first heard described on this forum:
Each separate person, group, or organisation with which I need to correspond gets allocated a unique address on my domain from which all my e-mails to them are sent.
As a non-techie, I have found this surprisingly simple to do, and the benefits are multifarious. I recommend the practice to others.
There is just one situation, however, which crops up occasionally, where this way of doing things makes things a little irksome.
This is when I find I need to send a single message to several recipients who don't all have the same allocated 'sent from' address.
The only way I know how to do this at the moment is to send a separate message for each 'from' address.
That is to say, I start with a blank message, paste in the message text and message title, manually set the 'sent from' address and then manually enter the requisite 'to' address(es), send that message, then repeat for each of the other 'from' addresses.
Because I have defined my contact groups with a reasonable degree of logic, this situation doesn't crop up very often, but when it does, it can be a bit of a pain.
My question is this: is it possible to have a 'from' address defined for each contact, and for this scenario to be handled automatically?
In other words, can I set something up in Fastmail so that if I send a single message to multiple recipients, the system checks which 'from' address each recipient has been allocated and then makes each recipient's message appear to come from that address?
Failing that, does anyone have any other ideas how to simplify things in this situation?
Thanks,
Graham
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Oct 2017, 01:04 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

No, there is no way to automatically associate a From address with each contact and use this to send as you have described. But you can improve your work flow by following this system:
  • Send the first message to the first group.
  • In the Sent folder, click the message you just sent to read it.
  • Choose More > Edit as New
  • The first message will be opened in the Compose screen including the subject, body, and attachments.
  • Change the From and To/Cc/Bcc as needed for the second message and send it.
  • Keep doing this for all From groups.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Aha!
"Edit as New".
I've never noticed before that that option exists.
That is going to speed things up a good deal.
Thank you, Bill.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 01:37 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Be sure to check out the other More > items when you are reading an incoming message. The More > Add Rule from Message feature is very useful when you need to create a rule based on some existing message. The Edit as New, Send a Copy, Forward, and Forward as Attachment features give you a wide range of different methods for sending an email to another account.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Oct 2017, 05:31 AM   #5
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Hi again, Bill.
Yes, there are some other things there that I've previously overlooked.
To my mind this illustrates why the current fad for 'clean and uncluttered' user interfaces is wrong-headed.
If users don't know a thing exists they won't look for it!
The ultimate in clean, uncluttered interfaces is a blank terminal screen with a flashing cursor!
That has its place, of course, but it is the opposite of user-friendly.
Cheers,
Graham

Last edited by Grhm : 9 Oct 2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Added remark re terminals.