EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 5 Sep 2006, 10:31 PM   #31
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

After using test driving Diigo for a few months now...

I can say that it has practically become part of my everyday life for the following reasons:

1. Excellent integration with Firefox (via toolbar); new bookmarks can be added to existing bookmarks as well as to other services like Furl, Spurl etc. This way i can make a quick search (better than any online service) through my browser bookmarks as well as being assured i don't add any duplicates.

2. Ability to add/modify bookmarks online from anywhere on this planet. Easy as a piece of pie!

3. They offer a forum where we freely share our opinions.

Would however like to see search speed like Furl's !

Last edited by dantheman : 7 Sep 2006 at 01:29 AM.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 10:36 AM   #32
anj
Master of the @

diigo export with tags

Could a Diigo luvr tell me how Diigo's export works? Will it export the links together with the added content such as comments and tags? I would love to try this service, but I am concerned about being able to take my collection elsewhere.

Thanks!
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2006, 07:33 PM   #33
dantheman

Re: diigo export with tags

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
Could a Diigo luvr tell me how Diigo's export works? Will it export the links together with the added content such as comments and tags? I would love to try this service, but I am concerned about being able to take my collection elsewhere.

Thanks!
anj,

I've just tried to export them to see for you and no, the comments don't appear.

If other services can do this, then that would be just great!

Last edited by dantheman : 9 Nov 2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 02:54 AM   #34
anj
Master of the @

Thanks so much, Dan. From what I've seen most services don't include the comments. I'm using Spurl mainly, and they don't. So, I'm looking for an alternative.

Right now, my candidates are Diigo and Simpy. Diigo looks like it may have more features, but Simpy has super export options.

Does Diigo at least include the tags?
Old 10 Nov 2006, 03:58 AM   #35
dantheman

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
Thanks so much, Dan. From what I've seen most services don't include the comments. I'm using Spurl mainly, and they don't. So, I'm looking for an alternative.

Right now, my candidates are Diigo and Simpy. Diigo looks like it may have more features, but Simpy has super export options.

Does Diigo at least include the tags?
My pleasure!

I'm afraid that Diigo exports only urls.
We'll have to make feature requests in their forum.

You know anj, there's one thing i fear about all these knew social bookmarking services. How long will they last? With Yahoo and Google and del.icio.us around, how can they withstand the test?!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 04:56 AM   #36
anj
Master of the @

That's my concern too, which is why export is a must. Simpy has export options for XML and to Netscape bookmarks format, and I am reasonably confident that the prevailing service will have import options for one of these. For me, the only other choice is to go with one of the prevailing services, StumbleUpon and Delicious, but I really don't care for either.

Of course, Google doesn't have a bookmarking service yet, so I gues the other hope is that your favorite service is acquired by Google.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 10:06 PM   #37
dantheman

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
That's my concern too, which is why export is a must. Simpy has export options for XML and to Netscape bookmarks format, and I am reasonably confident that the prevailing service will have import options for one of these. For me, the only other choice is to go with one of the prevailing services, StumbleUpon and Delicious, but I really don't care for either.

Of course, Google doesn't have a bookmarking service yet, so I gues the other hope is that your favorite service is acquired by Google.
anj,

I'm not really that fond of del.icio.us either.
Just checked out ma.gnolia.com and they export bookmarks with tags.
I like the Simpy way of keeping tabs on active urls.
I'm sure Google will pick up on one service or another soon.

dcm
Old 12 Nov 2006, 03:57 AM   #38
glebarr
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

I'm really starting to like Yahoo's new bookmark service and I've tried them all
take a look http://new.bookmarks.yahoo.com
glebarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2006, 06:34 AM   #39
dantheman

Quote:
Originally posted by glebarr
I'm really starting to like Yahoo's new bookmark service and I've tried them all
take a look http://new.bookmarks.yahoo.com
glebarr,

It is a big improvement for Yahoo but you know, i kind of still like to tinker with Spurl. One reason is that Spurl works with a wide variety of browsers (Opera, IE and Mozilla be it Seamonkey or Firefox). With Spurl you can also automatically send a copy of your bookmark to your del.icio.us account (kind of an automatic back-up system if you want). Albeit, Diigo's toolbar does a better job at this but i've found the later to be more glitchy (and it's not available for Opera or Seamonkey).

In the end, each service has it's pros and cons.
You'll find some features in one that the other doesn't have and vice-versa.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 11:47 AM   #40
anj
Master of the @

Glebarr,
Does Yahoo's new service have export option including tags and comments? De.licio.us has that now, so I would think so.
What is the deal with yahoo having two services anyway? Did they base the new service on de.licio.us or just acquire it to get the user base? or something else entirely?

Dan,
Isn't it the truth about there being so many services, with just slightly different feature sets. I'm not even allow myself to think too much about the features, or I'd never make a decision. I think I'll give Simpy a try for keeping bookmarks from my blog, and just stick with Spurl for my main organizing, if I can get a backup to delicious. Thanks for mentioning that! I intended to do that, but forgot about that option. As long as the imported bookmarks keep their tags and correct public/private settings, that will meet my export needs. That is, because delicious does has an export which include tags.

Right now, I mainly use de.licio.us for sending bookmarks to my friends, so it would also make a good backup.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:14 PM   #41
dantheman

anj,

Glad to know you found a system that satisfies your needs!

When exporting favs from Spurl to .html file, i noticed that they preserve the hierarchical system i had from the beginning. Haven't checked Yahoo on this.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 10:05 PM   #42
dantheman

Update on opinion with Diigo

Diigo has recently made more changes without eliminating previous glitches so i've decided to move over to Furl. Problem is, this one too has made a few changes lately and there's a glitch there too! When you tag your previous tags are used as opening. Even if you wipe them and insert new ones, these previous tags still show up after clipping a web page. You have to delete them manually online and be patient because it is not updated automatically. Have an ongoing exchange with Furl Support at the present time. Hope they will resolve this issue gracefully!
Old 1 Mar 2007, 10:17 PM   #43
Gankaku

*waves to dantheman*

I'm still with Furl. I love that it caches my bookmarked pages. Once one of the articles I'd bookmarked was removed from a webpage, but I just clicked on My Copy and was able to read the text version all intact on Furl. I guess that's why I've not moved to anywhere else, even though some of the other services are more social.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2007, 10:56 AM   #44
dantheman

StartAid

Just discovered this one yesterday.
Seems to be pretty new.

http://www.startaid.com

They have a forum (on Google Groups) and seem to pick up where Spurl left off.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 12:56 PM   #45
glebarr
Essential Contributor

scratchlist

this is useful http://www.scratchlist.com
I use this for my most visited links...it works great and a little different than the others
glebarr is offline   Reply With Quote