EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Jan 2023, 07:23 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Any preference for stable, free, no-cell email?

I often create a new email account when I'm signing up on a new forum. That way, if something goes wrong, it doesn't matter if I have to abandon that dedicated email.

But I'm unlikely to use it much. So I'm thinking about providers who:
1. Don't require a cell-phone verification.
2. Don't require a different email to sign up with.
3. Are free.
4. Seem to be stable and sticking around, not fly-by-night.
5. Have no issue with inactivity.

I experimented with Cyberfear, but I don't know if they're good for the long haul, and I dn't like the name.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Jan 2023, 09:27 AM   #2
JoeJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
I often create a new email account when I'm signing up on a new forum. That way, if something goes wrong, it doesn't matter if I have to abandon that dedicated email.

3. Are free.

I experimented with Cyberfear, but I don't know if they're good for the long haul, and I dn't like the name.
You might be looking for us: https://openmbox.net/
JoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2023, 05:37 AM   #3
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Thanks - but would it kill you to provide some information on the webpage?

It looks like people see nothing of the email, nor can check nothing about the terms, or your origins, until after you get us to sign up.
Old 17 Jan 2023, 11:33 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I use DuckDuckGo's anonymous email addresses that don't include tracking and so far they work perfectly. Free too. For most things I use my main DDG address, but for some signups I create a unique one to further limit any damage if for some reason the address gets used in a way I don't like. OTOH I've been using the same Gmail address for about 17 years and I almost never see spam or phishing stuff in my inbox, and my address does appear if I search on https://haveibeenpwned.com/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2023, 07:34 PM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I use spamgourmet in lots of places that require an email address but don't require setting an account, or when I'm required to set up an account that I don't expect to use in the future, or expect to use so rarely that it's easier to setip a new account each time.
It doesn't conform to requirement #2 ("don't require different email address) as it is a forwarding service, but then I practically never have to login to spamgourmet, I get all my email in one place (though I filter the forwarded mail to a separate folder), and it's been around more than 20 years and as far as I know has no issue with inactivity (that is you sign up once and keep the account forever, whatever that means, without having to login.
I use it for payments to utilities that don't require an acount (for each payment I use a new alias that contains the date and some details about the payment). I use it on talkback forms that want an email address (again each post with a new address that records the date and the website where it was used). It has another advantage that if the address is spammed it stops accepting mail after a while, so getting spam usually doesn't require any action: you just know it will stop by itself.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2023, 10:14 PM   #6
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
You might be looking for us:
Quote:
Please provide the right passwords for updating. The correct password should contain letters, numbers and special characters, with min length 12.
The password I tried to use meets all these requirements, yet I rcv this when attempting to register.
Code:
Password invalid
I don't know what your version of a right password is, and I'm not about to chop up the password I supplied to find out..

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2023, 11:09 AM   #7
JoeJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post

I don't know what your version of a right password is, and I'm not about to chop up the password I supplied to find out..

- Bruce
Here is the password generator if you are not sure about the right password:

https://openmbox.net/apps/genpwd.cgi

Thanks.
JoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2023, 08:50 AM   #8
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I use DuckDuckGo's anonymous email addresses that don't include tracking and so far they work perfectly. Free too. For most things I use my main DDG address, but for some signups I create a unique one to further limit any damage if for some reason the address gets used in a way I don't like. OTOH I've been using the same Gmail address for about 17 years and I almost never see spam or phishing stuff in my inbox, and my address does appear if I search on https://haveibeenpwned.com/
What? DuckDuckGo has email? Do tell! I'm not sure what you mean by "anonymous" - isn't all email anonymous unless we choose to use our names (or if it's a work email)? I poked around online, but can't quite figure it out.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 08:52 AM   #9
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
I use spamgourmet in lots of places that require an email address but don't require setting an account, or when I'm required to set up an account that I don't expect to use in the future, or expect to use so rarely that it's easier to setip a new account each time.
It doesn't conform to requirement #2 ("don't require different email address) as it is a forwarding service, but then I practically never have to login to spamgourmet, I get all my email in one place (though I filter the forwarded mail to a separate folder), and it's been around more than 20 years and as far as I know has no issue with inactivity (that is you sign up once and keep the account forever, whatever that means, without having to login.
I use it for payments to utilities that don't require an acount (for each payment I use a new alias that contains the date and some details about the payment). I use it on talkback forms that want an email address (again each post with a new address that records the date and the website where it was used). It has another advantage that if the address is spammed it stops accepting mail after a while, so getting spam usually doesn't require any action: you just know it will stop by itself.
Sorry, I think maybe I wasn't clear.

This would be an account I probably would rarely use, but would have to keep. For instance, to get a Hotmail account now, you need a different existing email account. But it's not a one-time thing, because Hotmail will pester you periodically and force you to verify it again.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 08:56 AM   #10
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
What? DuckDuckGo has email?
Unless they have come up with an email system of their own, so far I believe they only offer one a DDG address that forwards to another address.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2023, 09:05 AM   #11
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Unless they have come up with an email system of their own, so far I believe they only offer one a DDG address that forwards to another address.

- Bruce
Oh. Like a forwarding email. I'm not sure what the point is. Some colleges do that, which I imagine is for people who like to implicitly brag about what college they went to. But I'm not sure what the point would be for DDG.
Old 20 Jan 2023, 09:08 AM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

DDG email addresses forward to your chosen destination, but you can also reply and it comes from the DDG address. You set up a main address, but you can also instantly create new random addresses on the fly.
https://duckduckgo.com/email/faq
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2023, 02:53 AM   #13
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Sorry, I think maybe I wasn't clear.

This would be an account I probably would rarely use, but would have to keep. For instance, to get a Hotmail account now, you need a different existing email account. But it's not a one-time thing, because Hotmail will pester you periodically and force you to verify it again.
By default SpamGourmet will block an address automatically after a certain number of emails (not time), but you can go to the site and set the address to forward or block indefinitely.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2023, 10:39 AM   #14
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
By default SpamGourmet will block an address automatically after a certain number of emails (not time), but you can go to the site and set the address to forward or block indefinitely.
Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I can tell, nothing in my post was asking about blocking anything.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 12:30 AM   #15
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:

3. Are free.

If any such service exists, I'd be curious to hear about it too and about experiences with them.

So far I've not come across a service that ticks all 5 boxes. "Inactivity" and "free" are a rare combination.

If you mainly use the new mailbox for the cause of signing up for forums, or for any non-business purpose for that matter, I don't see Cyberfear as a problematic domain. Their chances of survival on the long haul is what would turn me off using a service that has only been created recently.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote