EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Aug 2007, 03:13 AM   #1
AldoRossi

DAV setup (for Windows XP) is failing

I have two accounts in the domain xsmail.com. I set up a DAV directory to one of them successfully on the first try and it works beautifully. But then when I tried to do the same thing on the second account I appear to succeed until the end, when I try to open the directory and then I receive an error message:
https://dav.messagingengine.com/myuid.xsmail.com/ is no longer available. I tried to reconstruct the directory numerous times and have spent at least 3 hours trying to find out why that second directory fails whereas the first one is still working fine.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate any insights offered on this problem.
AldoRossi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Aug 2007, 03:58 AM   #2
znunxnyv

Do you have two separate accounts or do you have 2 email addresses in the same account?
znunxnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 04:35 AM   #3
AldoRossi

I have two separate accounts, with several aliases in each. Of course, the DAV setup is with the account names, not with any of the aliases.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 01:04 PM   #4
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Sounds like Windows XP is just being annoyingly buggy

I'd try deleting the second, and then following the steps on the blog EXACTLY. It's fussy about which way you add it and exactly what you use...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:33 PM   #5
AldoRossi

Thanks. I will try again. If it fails, I think I'll delete the first one and try the failing one as the first DAV directory and see if that works. It would be a mega-bummer if one can have only one DAV directory at a time.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Sherry

I had one setup a long time ago that worked fine then I recently set up another one. The new one I set up works fine but then the first one got the same error as you're getting. I'll watch this thread and see if re-doing it works for you.

If it doesn't work then I'll install NetDrive and see if that will work.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:51 PM   #7
AldoRossi

I can't believe it! The plot thickens and it sounds like a cosmic joke (we're talking about Microsoft XP, maybe we should expect it): I had not tried the failing DAV in the past 24+ hours and now when I try it, it works! I was besides myself with joy which was quickly dampened when I tried the DAV that was working fine yesterday (the one I set up first) and now I get the error on that one! Go figure! It does have all the symptoms of XP bugginess. Well, it looks like I'll have to be setting up whichever I need the most at the moment and learn to live with having only one ... for the time being.
Old 25 Aug 2007, 02:52 AM   #8
Sherry

What I tried next was to setup the first, non working, one again without removing the original. Now that one gives no error but it opens the second ones account. I think it has something to do with the way WXP caches the login info so whatever one you open after a re-boot will be the one that works until the next re-boot? (just a guess as I haven't done any troubleshooting on it yet)

Sherry
Old 27 Aug 2007, 03:05 PM   #9
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Just came across this today, an FYI on why DAV support in windows may have been so flaky for so long...

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX02991.pdf

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Sherry

Hmm, that doesn't make sense. I'm using "Microsoft's" Windows with "Microsoft's" My Network Places (not a third party DAV program) so you'd think it would work well or am I missing something here???

Sherry
Old 27 Aug 2007, 06:08 PM   #11
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Hmm, that doesn't make sense. I'm using "Microsoft's" Windows with "Microsoft's" My Network Places (not a third party DAV program) so you'd think it would work well or am I missing something here???

Sherry
It is not a third party product, but it is competitive with Exchange. Microsoft would prefer that other folder sharing technologies did not exist at all. By having an imperfect solution themselves, they lessen the chance that someone will use a functioning DAV client and decide they like it.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2007, 02:53 AM   #12
Sherry

Thanks BritTim. I've read some posts on Exchange but never thought about what it was actually for or it doing something like DAV does. Whenever I read about something I don't use or have no need for it just goes over my head. Now what Rob posted makes perfect sense on why DAV may be buggy.

Sherry
Old 30 Aug 2007, 05:23 AM   #13
AldoRossi

I gave up on DAV ... I decided to do as the "Kiss Me Kate" song goes, Brush Up Your Shakespeare, and just brushed up my FTP fluency. That works very well, however dated that technology is. (For us naive folks the Gates memo is amazing!)

Thanks for all the enlightenment.