EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Jan 2005, 02:53 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
New massively improved address book available

We have massively upgraded the address book features for all users. Some of the improved features include:
  • Vastly improved viewing, searching, sorting and editing interface
  • ---- List view now shows the most common details in a neater and more compact layout
  • ---- Easily search for an address with the search box at the top center of the page
  • ---- Quickly view all details for an address with the [ + ] link
  • ---- Organise addresses into groups using the +/- buttons in the groups sidebar
  • Many new fields (eg birthday, company, department, etc)
  • Multiple email, phone, fax and IM contacts
  • Multiple locations/mailing addresses
  • Multiple renameable custom fields
  • Improved uploading and merging facilities. More upload and download formats
These changes are all available immediately as a free upgrade to all accounts, and you can start using them just by clicking the Addresses link at the top of the page when you login to your account. If you need help with any of the new features, just use the Help link at the top of the page while on any of the address book screens to go to our FAQ. We'll continue to improve the FAQ based on questions we receive over the next few weeks.

Because the new address book has separate "First name(s)" and "Last name" fields while the old address book only had a "Full name" field, we've had to split existing address book entries. We've tried to do this intelligently, but please check over your address book to see that there's no problems.

We've got Richard, Bron & Neil to thank for lots of hard work in bringing all this to fruition. It's been many months of changes, edits, updates and testing and we're really happy with the result which I think is one of the most powerful and flexible address books around. Enjoy.

The FastMail Team
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:07 PM   #2
greenplum
Essential Contributor

Excellent....... now to just learn how to use it effectively...
minor fault...
Tool bar on "edit address" page very tiny print etc.
greenplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:10 PM   #3
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
If you are reporting an issue, please remember to include:

* Your browser
* Your OS
* Your stylesheet

And any other information you think might be relevant to the particular issue you're reporting.

Thanks

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:13 PM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Wow, this is super. I have wanted to dowload my addresses to my address book in OS X for a long time. A single click and the deed was done. Nothing else to do
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:22 PM   #5
greenplum
Essential Contributor

Sorry Rob
XP(SP2) Home...Avant 902 build 101....slimblue yellow

When trying to save a test address with all fields used and one custom one added (test) get message

Signal call failed: MailApp::Addresses:iscrete::UpdateRows(), Do failed: Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails. INSERT INTO CustomFields (AddressId, CustomFieldValue, UserId, CustomFieldId)VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?)

It has saved the basics but ommitted to save a number of fields
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:24 PM   #6
Shelded

Finally I can download without cut-n-paste and file conversion tricks. I LOVE the search function so I don't have to scroll!! A vast improvement.
Perhaps a bit too vast, there's quite a bit of horizontal empty space with controls at right and left of screen and blank space in the middle. Some of the items are almost pin-sized, for example the "all" at the left of the alphabet is small on this style sheet.
IE 6.0 and Windows.
Using Slim Sand
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:25 PM   #7
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by greenplum
Tool bar on "edit address" page very tiny print etc.
Seeing this as well - the "tab" titles are too small (less than half the size of the 'Help' link).

IE6, WinXP, Pro Blue 2000.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Shelded

Unless I am a major user of group lists the "Quick Add" would always be visible if you placed it vertically oriented under (or over) the group list section. Instead, as it is now it is always something I must scroll into view unless I set display to a mizerly 5-10 addresses. On the other hand perhaps that's how to use this screen, and to choose an alpha letter to show the names of interest.

The first shall be last and the last first.
All my names were entered in the old system as Lname Fname so I could sort them on Lname. So you guys misidentified them all.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:36 PM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you its lovely.......
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:40 PM   #10

excellent

impressed. the great amazing addresses book and a little of display change on Mailbox. Thank you.

a few questions though: WindowsXP, Mozilla Firefox 1.0, Stylesheet: Slipstream Pro*
- how to mass edit the entries in my address book? I'd like to fill in more informations regard of the contacts.

- why does the options on screen "Edit address" is too small for me? (General Contact Details Locations Custom Notes All) <---- very small. I couldn't see.

Thanks

Last edited by Guest : 8 Jan 2005 at 03:50 PM.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 03:46 PM   #11
Shelded

I think the +/- things beside the group lists should do something more than indent when I push them. Maybe they should show me names included in the groups, but nothing happens.

IE 6, Windows, Slim Sand.

<aha!>

The symbols beside the group list work along with the alphabetic list along the top. If a letter of the alphabet is selected and there is no name in the group representing the letter it will appear blank. If "Able" is in the group and "A" is selected then the address for "Able" will show in the display.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 04:00 PM   #12
greenplum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelded
I think the +/- things beside the group lists should do something more than indent when I push them. Maybe they should show me names included in the groups, but nothing happens.

They also add or remove any ticked boxes alonside address's to group chosen (highlighted) ..which I presume is their main function
Old 8 Jan 2005, 04:00 PM   #13
pcs
Essential Contributor

It looks great so far.

I do have one issue to report (greenplum also mentioned it). The tool bar on the "edit address" page has very tiny print.

* Firefox 1.0
* Windows XP Pro
* SlipstreamPro
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 04:25 PM   #14
petergh
Master of the @

List view too wide in Mailbox screen

The list of messages in the Mailbox screen extends far beyond the width of the screen sometimes.

I'm using Win XP, IE6/FireFox, Pro Blue (happens with PB2004 too).

Edit: It fits perfectly if I set screen size to 800x600 in Account Preferences even though I have my screen set to 1024x768.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2005, 04:30 PM   #15
Shelded

Is that anything new? this is the reason I use slim formats, using same display settings you indicate.