EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 18 Aug 2006, 11:13 PM   #1
mbeck

Question Correct IMAP server for Blackberry pull?

I have a blackberry 8700c through Cingular wireless. It is set up to retrieve email from runbox, but I find that it does so very delayed / infrequently (only twice a day sometimes). Other people who have the same service from cingular but an earthlink account for example get their email every 15 minutes. Is there a better server setting I should tell blackberry to use? Here are the settings and what it defaulted to (I guess it read this from runbox server, as all I gave it was my email address and password):

Server: secure.runbox.com
Server Type: IMAP
Port: 993
Timeout: 30 seconds
SSL: Yes

Actually, I can only change the server address and wether to use SSL. The rest is derived / hardcoded. I'm wondering if secure.runbox.om is correct, since that is not a server listed on the runbox.com help pages and wether SSL is required. I also wish I could use POP, but can't seem to change that - I have never on any device or OS had luck w/ IMAP. it's the most flaky, slow and unintuitive protocol.

Thanks,

Mike
mbeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Aug 2006, 02:06 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Actually, secure.runbox.com is listed on the help pages:

http://www.runbox.com/twiki/bin/view/RunboxHelp/IMAP
Code:
 IMAP setup information

* Incoming server type: IMAP
    * Incoming mail server: imap.runbox.com
          o For SSL, use secure.runbox.com.
    * IMAP server port number: 143
          o For SSL, use port 993.
I've heard people say that Runbox SSL is slower so I'm guessing that a 30 second timeout is too short. That would explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

You might try changing to the non-SSL connection and see if that helps.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2006, 05:47 AM   #3
zapata
Essential Contributor

Runbox' IMAP server still does not support IMAP IDLE (RFC 2177).
Your Blackberry probably doesn't poll the server and you only see updates/new e-mails when your MUA re-connects to the server.

While the IMAP protocol is not flaky, some clients and servers are.
So I'd suggest you try again with a different IMAP server.
If it works, then you should complain to your current malfunctioning/incomplete imap provider.
zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2006, 05:10 PM   #4
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
So I'd suggest you try again with a different IMAP server.
Zapata, what other IMAP-provider do you suggest? It seems to me that - given your constant flow of posts about this matter - you must have found an excellent provider. Since I'm always interrested in new mail-providers, it would be nice if you could share some of your findings with the rest of the forum-readers.

Thanks in advance,
--Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2006, 05:20 AM   #5
mbeck

Thanks for the replies, though I'm also not completely sure what is meant by trying another IMAP provider - are you saying I have a choice of who to use to access runbox mail or to see if another account / service works with the BB. If that's the case, yes, my fastmail.us account seems to work better, though only slightly. I have now gone through many iterations and combinations of SSL/ non-SSL, deleting and reconfiguring the profile for the blackberry and rebooting the device. It seems like emails show up "whenever they please" which I cant' believe is the norm considering how many business professionals live and die by this technology

P.S. on a side note what determines when I stop receiving notifications of replies to my posts? I came back today and found that there were a couple of new posts that I never got notice on....
mbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2006, 08:10 AM   #6
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by mbeck
P.S. on a side note what determines when I stop receiving notifications of replies to my posts? I came back today and found that there were a couple of new posts that I never got notice on....
As far as I know you have to manually unsubscribe from the thread under User Control Panel -> Subscribed Threads. I received notices of the posts.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote