EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Mar 2022, 10:49 PM   #1
silverwolff

Angry Gmail thinks messagingengine.com is spam

Starting suddenly on Thursday, every email I've sent to a gmail address has been marked a spam, even to people who I've been emailing with for years, who have me in their addressbook. Gmail gives them this message:

Lots of messages from messagingengine.com were identified as spam in the past.

What the heck? Is this happening to others? How do we stop it?

Screenshot of gmail message:
https://imgur.com/a/ulMMM0I
silverwolff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Mar 2022, 11:04 PM   #2
bertradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolff View Post
Starting suddenly on Thursday, every email I've sent to a gmail address has been marked a spam, even to people who I've been emailing with for years, who have me in their addressbook. Gmail gives them this message:

Lots of messages from messagingengine.com were identified as spam in the past.

What the heck? Is this happening to others? How do we stop it?

Screenshot of gmail message:
https://imgur.com/a/ulMMM0I
Just sent a test message from my FM account to my Gmail address. It arrive in the Inbox and was not marked as spam.
bertradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2022, 11:17 PM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

In general, I do not think it is necessary now to be using messagingengine.com. You probably need to update your mail clients to use imap.fastmail.com, smtp.fastmail.com etc.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2022, 02:17 AM   #4
silverwolff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
In general, I do not think it is necessary now to be using messagingengine.com. You probably need to update your mail clients to use imap.fastmail.com, smtp.fastmail.com etc.
Hi Brit, I'm not using a mail client; I'm using the Fastmail interface. And I have my domain and MX records properly set up pointing at Fastmail.

I welcome any other suggestions!
Old 21 Mar 2022, 02:18 AM   #5
silverwolff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertradio View Post
Just sent a test message from my FM account to my Gmail address. It arrive in the Inbox and was not marked as spam.
Maybe there is hope for me, then? Any ideas what might be different about my settings from yours? Are you using the Fastmail web interface or an email cient?
Old 21 Mar 2022, 02:25 AM   #6
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Are you using Fastmail's DNS servers? If not, do you have the mail-related records other than the MX records set up for you domain correctly?
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2022, 02:55 AM   #7
bertradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolff View Post
Maybe there is hope for me, then? Any ideas what might be different about my settings from yours? Are you using the Fastmail web interface or an email cient?
Sent from FM web interface. Also just did a test sending from Thunderbird through imap.fastmail.com. Both emails arrived in the Gmail Inbox.

I'm using Mullvad VPN with their DNS servers but that shouldn't matter.
bertradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2022, 07:39 AM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

So, what DNS records are you using? Fastmail: https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/a...591153#dnslist
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2022, 10:40 AM   #9
silverwolff

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
Are you using Fastmail's DNS servers? If not, do you have the mail-related records other than the MX records set up for you domain correctly?
I'm using the DNS from my website host, but I have the MX records, CNAME records, and TXT record all set up correctly there, and the Domains area in Fastmail set up correctly. When I look at Domains > mydomain.com, I see:
  • The MX servers for your domain are set correctly: your email is hosted at Fastmail.
  • DKIM is correctly configured.
  • SPF is correctly configured.

Also, I have asked FM Support for help by opening a ticket, but that was Thursday and they still haven't fixed it. So I'm looking for more things that I can do, with your help perhaps, to solve!

I have emails from a few different domains set up at Fastmail, set up a few different ways, and they've all worked fine for years. It suddenly changed this past Thursday, and all of them are now being marked a spam by Gmail.
Old 21 Mar 2022, 04:30 PM   #10
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

You may consider sharing the domain name you're using, take your pick of anyone that has tried to help you here in this thread, via a private message.

Another pair of eyes always helps.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2022, 06:23 PM   #11
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I just tried sending an email from FM to my gmail account it just as stated in the first post it was classed as spam by gmail. I don't use a personal domain and the From address I was using for this test was another non-FM email address.

I've done such tests in the past when checking out other stuff but then such test messages always went into the inbox.

I seem to recall that sometime in the past FM needed to arrange with gmail to not class mail sent through FM be classed as spam. Maybe something changed in that area or maybe gmail's spam filters made some change. After a little more testing (see update below) I'm inclined to think it's gmail's spam filtering that changed.

Update 1:
Just sent a test messages from my actual FM account and one of my FM aliases to my gmail account and neither was classed as spam. So maybe it just doesn't like email domain I used in the first test messages (which happens to be a forwarding service that points to my FM account). Not to important though since I only used to use the gmail account as an anonymous email address in the days before switching to FM aliases and I would never use my forwarding service domain to point at gmail anyhow (could be a problem though I guess if I ever abandoned FM to switch to gmail as my main email service - not likely though).

Update 2:
For each of the above tests I kept marking the messages as not spam. The I tried adding a contact and a filter to accept the forwarding service's domain. One or a combination of these got my test messages successfully placed in the gmail inbox. So I removed the contact and the filter. And now my test messages still go into the inbox as they used to. So I don't know if it was the spam training, the contact or the filter or some combination to make the spam filters "get the hint" to accept those messages because at the moment all seems to be working as before. Weird.

Last edited by xyzzy : 21 Mar 2022 at 07:04 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2022, 07:28 PM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

Google has a good list of things to check to make sure your email doesn't get marked as spam: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126?hl=en

But, in your case the message seems to indicate they were marking everything from messagingengine servers as spam, though obviously it wasn't the case because other people here were reporting normal deliverability. What happens when you send emails to mail-tester? https://www.mail-tester.com/
Old 22 Mar 2022, 01:17 AM   #13
silverwolff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
You may consider sharing the domain name you're using, take your pick of anyone that has tried to help you here in this thread, via a private message.

Another pair of eyes always helps.
Good idea! I tried sending you a message, but the forum failed to send it, saying: "FredOnline has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

Thought you'd want to know!
Old 22 Mar 2022, 01:18 AM   #14
silverwolff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
What happens when you send emails to mail-tester? https://www.mail-tester.com/
Mail-tester.com (which I never heard of before; thanks for the tip) gives me a 10/10 and a 9.5/10 for my two test emails from two different Fastmail email addresses.
Old 22 Mar 2022, 09:31 PM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

Let us know what you hear from Fastmail. I have found mail-tester.com reliable, so it looks like FM will have to work with Gmail to get off their spam list.