EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 22 May 2008, 11:45 PM   #1
tenox

Imap

Hi,

I'm having a major problems with IMAP and as I can see I'm not alone.

- When is it supposed to be resolved?

- How can I try the new IMAP "beta" server over SSL?

Thanks,
Antoni
tenox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 May 2008, 12:23 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The beta-test IMAP server is not available over SSL. At this time I am not aware of any plans to support SSL during beta-test. It will have SSL when it goes into production.

The issues are being looked into at this time. Part of the delay is that we are having difficulties reproducing some of the issues which makes identifying the cause more difficult.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2008, 12:44 AM   #3
tenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverrn View Post
The beta-test IMAP server is not available over SSL. At this time I am not aware of any plans to support SSL during beta-test. It will have SSL when it goes into production.

The issues are being looked into at this time. Part of the delay is that we are having difficulties reproducing some of the issues which makes identifying the cause more difficult.

Regards,
Rich
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the answer. When is the new IMAP server going to production? Is there any time frame? I currently can't search my email by body text and I don't know what to do about it except maybe order a backup on a CD from you.

How to reproduce? Very easy. Install UW PINE (may be latest 4.64) version and try to search through email messages.

Regards,
Antoni
Old 23 May 2008, 01:39 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi Antoni,

I haven't seen a problem specifically related to searching. Is the problem related to slowness/timeouts?

Are you getting a specific error message?

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2008, 01:47 AM   #5
tenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverrn View Post
Hi Antoni,

I haven't seen a problem specifically related to searching. Is the problem related to slowness/timeouts?

Are you getting a specific error message?

Regards,
Rich
Yes, I think it's slowness/timeout. It takes so long that the connection eventually dies out. And really no matter what client it is, search after all is a function / command of IMAP server.

Help!

Regards,
Antoni
Old 23 May 2008, 05:38 AM   #6
adamevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenox View Post
Yes, I think it's slowness/timeout.
Slowness with the IMAP?

I, for one, am shocked.

Just shocked.
adamevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2008, 06:46 AM   #7
tenox

Okay now, so how do I search my emails by full body text?

Web client doesn't have that option.
IMAP doesn't work.

Download of all emails by POP3?
How about non-inbox folders?

Do I really need to order CD?

Thanks,
a
Old 23 May 2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Antoni,

I had never head of Pine and it seemed strange to me that a client wouldn't support searches so I had a quick look at Wikipedia and here's what it has to say about Pine:

"Pine was a freeware, text-based e-mail client developed at the University of Washington. Source code was available for only the Unix version under a license written by the University of Washington. Pine is no longer under development, and has been replaced by the new Alpine client"

So, if you need to search the first thing I would do is use a currently supported client. Here's what Wiki says about Alpine:

"Alpine is a fast, easy to use email client based on the Pine Message System. Alpine boasts that it is suitable for both inexperienced email users and the most demanding of power users. Alpine is developed at the University of Washington, as was Pine before it. Alpine can be learned by exploration and the use of context-sensitive help. The user interface is highly customizable."

This doesn't replace the need to have Runbox's webmail perform searches (why it doesn't baffles me) but perhaps this is an option for you.

- Randy
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 04:24 AM   #9
tenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambiz View Post
Antoni,

I had never head of Pine and it seemed strange to me that a client wouldn't support searches so I had a quick look at Wikipedia and here's what it has to say about Pine:

"Pine was a freeware, text-based e-mail client developed at the University of Washington. Source code was available for only the Unix version under a license written by the University of Washington. Pine is no longer under development, and has been replaced by the new Alpine client"

So, if you need to search the first thing I would do is use a currently supported client. Here's what Wiki says about Alpine:

"Alpine is a fast, easy to use email client based on the Pine Message System. Alpine boasts that it is suitable for both inexperienced email users and the most demanding of power users. Alpine is developed at the University of Washington, as was Pine before it. Alpine can be learned by exploration and the use of context-sensitive help. The user interface is highly customizable."

This doesn't replace the need to have Runbox's webmail perform searches (why it doesn't baffles me) but perhaps this is an option for you.

- Randy
If you haven't heard of PINE you probably aren't on Internet long enough to understand how email works. No offense intended. If you read Wikipedia more carefully you will find that PINE is one of the very first IMAP clients, which was many many years ago. For your and perhaps Wikipedia info, both PINE and ALPINE uses the same IMAP client library which is called C-CLIENT. It's a base library used by several different email clients around. Based on that many people claim that PINE is a model IMAP email client. Also according to the Wikipedia article PINE is no longer developed, but it is still supported and probably will for many many years to come. There is no point of switching to ALPINE in terms of Runbox and Seach problems.

Search on IMAP is implemented by sending a search command to the IMAP server. If the IMAP server is very slow and it takes ages to return the results to the client whatever client you use doesn't really matter.

I sometimes use just plain openssl s_client to get my email.

So the real question is when will there be a fixed IMAP server available on Runbox?

Last edited by tenox : 24 May 2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 24 May 2008, 12:39 PM   #10
adamevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenox View Post
So the real question is when will there be a fixed IMAP server available on Runbox?
http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/hell_froze.jpg
Old 24 May 2008, 01:12 PM   #11
adamevans

P.S.

I finally had to switch from the 143 port to the 1143 port today, because the 143 has been completely unusable for me a couple days now. Even worse than the general slowness that's always there. I was getting synchronization errors and "server terminated the connection before the command could complete" errors.

I wish to God I could go back in time to when I was looking for a PERMANENT, RELIABLE pay email service that I could use for all my business and personal stuff and warn myself that this wasn't the one. Because now I have to go through the pain-in-the-*** process of making sure everything is changed over to my new non-Runbox email. Not to mention, praying to God I can get all my emails downloaded with an IMAP back-up program since the IMAP is so goddamn flakey.

This really, really sucks. Thanks so much, Runbox!
Old 24 May 2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Ge0rges

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum but Runbox user since many years. I loved Runbox & moved all work emails hosting here using imap. It was my idea to move to Ras its the best email server. But sometimes im suffering from IMAP issues & feel embarrassed from the performance.

Any server can go down, even Hotmail or Yahoo sometimes are down, i understand that but maybe this happens once per year. Here we are facing issues every couple of days. I can not wait to the server to be fixed & hope will solve all the issue & be stable.

Since morning im facing errors with outlook "IMAP SERVER IS SHITDOWN BY SIGNAL" that error keep coming. I tried to connect the computer directly to the internet without passing by my ISA server, its the same. Even i tried by connecting through VPN connection from UK. i assume its IMAP Server issue today. im using port 143, i tried the SSL 993, its the same.
Ge0rges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 07:29 PM   #13
vazwaz

I think shitdown is an appropriate way to describe the situation at the moment.
vazwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 07:44 PM   #14
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazwaz View Post
I think shitdown is an appropriate way to describe the situation at the moment.
um......I'm sure that was just a typographical error or something unintentional.....

oh, and Welcome to the EMD Forums, Ge0rges!

Last edited by Merovingian : 24 May 2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: forgot the welcome :)
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 09:39 PM   #15
adamevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge0rges View Post
Since morning im facing errors with outlook "IMAP SERVER IS SHITDOWN BY SIGNAL" that error keep coming.
Ditto here. I'm getting the same thing. Have a support ticket in, for all the good that won't do.

I literally cannot get my email at all (except for Webmail).

I am so tired of this crap.