EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Jul 2020, 09:52 AM   #1
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Please submit a complaint along with me

After I recently complained about the changes made to the way 2FA is done, ultimately my primary problem boiled down to this: Before these changes were made recently, the 2FA method offered by the FM website seems to have been chosen based on a MRU (most recently used) algorithm, i.e. whichever was the MRU method used by the user, offer it again, and if the user wants a different one, they can click to change it. This is absolutely the best UX for this function, because 99% of the time, the user will use the same method, and there will be no need to explicitly choose it. That's certainly how it was for me.

NOW, they've "fixed" something that WASN'T BROKEN.

EVERY time we log in, we have to click to choose the 2FA method we want. For someone like me who logs in 5-10 times per day (I tend to login and get timed out after 2 hours), this is a significant irritation. Why in the world should I have to explicitly choose each time, when I ALWAYS use the same method? It just means that I have to move my hand to the mouse, aim the mouse and click. I know, some of you will say "Boohoo, first world problems", but it is a VERY real source of irritation, and is something that was implemented properly before, working just fine, for years, and now deliberately made worse, for no apparent reason.

If you agree with me that this was broken for no good reason, please submit a support ticket/complaint to FM, and ask them to return to the old MRU algorithm. Of course I have already done so. Thanks.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jul 2020, 06:49 PM   #2
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
EVERY time we log in, we have to click to choose the 2FA method we want.
This is not my experience.

When I log in, I fill in the ID/password fields, hit <enter> and it jumps automatically to the right 2FA field for me - really fast and absolutely no hassle.

Do you maybe have more than 1 type of 2FA set up, forcing it to ask you to choose which one you want to use each time?

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 7 Jul 2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: better wording
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2020, 05:34 AM   #3
NumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Do you maybe have more than 1 type of 2FA set up, forcing it to ask you to choose which one you want to use each time?
"forcing"
Yes, I need two methods, divided roughly between PC browser login (hardware token) and phone login (authenticator app). It used to be that FM always knew which one I preferred to use on each platform (which I had the option to change if I wanted to), but now it seems to have gotten stupider, because I have to tell it again, each time I log in.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd really prefer to make this stronger, to NOT be allowed to change the method assigned to each platform. I.e. on PC browser I am forced to use my hardware token or be SOL. Likewise for the phone. I don't really expect them to implement this... it would probably cause them a lot of support headaches, but in an ideal world, it would be something I could configure, hidden away down deep in the settings where clueless grandparent types wouldn't find it

Last edited by NumberSix : 8 Jul 2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 06:21 AM   #4
JamesHenderson

agh, OK, got it.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

In my experience complaining doesnt work most times,they do what they want and they dont care...........

Thats the sad facts
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2020, 10:07 AM   #6
NumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
In my experience complaining doesnt work most times,they do what they want and they dont care...........
That's why I thought to post and ask for others to join in... maybe numbers count.
Old 10 Jul 2020, 10:35 PM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

I hope it works for ya........ I know... They do these stupid things and they dont care..........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote