EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 May 2019, 09:14 AM   #136
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Firefox have disabled Stylish so nothing will work now...sigh

Last edited by Terry : 5 May 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 04:34 PM   #137
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

By any chance if you look at your addons in Firefox does stylish have a message saying it couldn't not be verified for use in Firefox? If so, starting Friday night they disabled a whole lot of addons besides just stylish!

Apparently some certificate problem arose and screwed many FF users. Here's a google search showing many hits discussing this. Also read this. And there are lots of threads on the Mozillazine Firefox support forum.

I got burned by this too. I don't even use a current FF (48.0.2 - last one that works on my Mac OS) and froze it with the addons I use so I resented their error causing problems in my setup. I'm not alone in that either.

For me I had to switch to 45.9.0esr to allow xpinstall.signatures.required to be used. Mozilla came up with a "hot fix" that allows the affected addons to work again but they are still flagged as "could not be verified" Oddly, I use stylish and it wasn't one of the affected addons.

Apparently a permanent fix for both current and older versions of FF is a work in progress at the time I am posting this.

Bottom line - Mozilla made a major mistake and screwed a lot of FF users.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 04:42 PM   #138
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes thanks I had looked in Firefox and it had been blocked along with a few more things I use, I do wish they had have left us an option to use it if we wanted.

The folder count will work on Google chrome.

The trouble is now fastmail looks really boring as if its stuck in the 80's. and I am not sure where to go now to get a bit of color.
Old 5 May 2019, 05:52 PM   #139
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

For goodness' sake! You just need to follow the instructions for the workaround and then wait a day or two for the proper Firefox fix.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 06:00 PM   #140
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Unfortunately I don't think it will be days.....
Old 5 May 2019, 06:18 PM   #141
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Since this is a high-profile problem affecting millions of users, I think Mozilla will do their utmost to fix it. Why would you think differently?

Have you read:
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019...ns-in-firefox/
Old 5 May 2019, 06:53 PM   #142
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Usually developers make people live with what they think is the best.
In some cases they are correct due to security issues and other things and scripts that can slow the browser down.

But why don't they try things before and after they make these changes.
Old 6 May 2019, 05:51 AM   #143
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Firefox version 66.0.4 (which is meant to fix the problems) has been released.

See: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...irefox-browser
Old 6 May 2019, 07:51 AM   #144
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you for that, wow you are on the ball.

I installed it, Stylish & Stylus now work, but Bookmark favicon changer and favicon images are now bkocked but they may get updated later.

Or I may be able to get into config and click enable them but dont want to stuff something else up, I am a bit out of touch with it all now.

Last edited by Terry : 6 May 2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 9 May 2019, 10:09 PM   #145
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Firefox v66.0.5 - which fixes some more related issues - has been released too. See https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...irefox-browser
Old 10 May 2019, 06:55 AM   #146
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you I have that installed, but my but Bookmark favicon changer and favicon images are still blocked so I have moved to Chrome and I am also trying gmail now.

I am not going to worry about scripts anymore as someone usually breaks them, but I suppose one day I will get use to it all just using a standard browser and not using fastmail.

Last edited by Terry : 10 May 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10 May 2019, 10:18 PM   #147
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I use Firefox (with no non-Mozilla extensions) and the Fastmail webmail interface and it's fine.

You just have to understand that while (recent problems apart) Mozilla can test the way the code they write in extensions works, before release, there is no way that they can test extensions written (often poorly) by other people.

To my mind, users who decide they have to use extensions maintained by non-Mozilla programmers are asking for trouble. There's nothing new about this. Various extensions have for years become unsupported suddenly - when their programmers don't continually install alpha & beta versions of Firefox and keep changing their code to support Firefox's changing internal structure. I suspect quite a lot of extensions are written by students who then have the time to maintain them, but later on when real work etc intervenes, they can't do it any longer.

I am not willing to make my life harder by relying on unsupported code, so don't install extensions in the first place.
Old 11 May 2019, 12:06 AM   #148
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
To my mind, users who decide they have to use extensions maintained by non-Mozilla programmers are asking for trouble. There's nothing new about this. Various extensions have for years become unsupported suddenly - when their programmers don't continually install alpha & beta versions of Firefox and keep changing their code to support Firefox's changing internal structure. I suspect quite a lot of extensions are written by students who then have the time to maintain them, but later on when real work etc intervenes, they can't do it any longer.
I agree completely. For me, my most frustrating experiences with extensions had nothing to do with a browser. They were with an e-mail client: Thunderbird. Back in the days that I used Thunderbird almost exclusively, I had a long list of extensions installed, and my workflow was designed around the way those extensions functioned. But bit by bit over the years, those extensions stopped being updated and maintained. Eventually, they stopped working altogether. The last time I checked, I think only two or three of my original fifteen or so extensions were still usable. I don't really blame the developers. Is there a product with smaller market share than an edge-case extension for an e-mail client that, in this day and age of webmail, hardly anyone uses any more? I don't blame them for losing interest and moving on to bigger and better things. But it's still frustrating for the user.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 12:30 AM   #149
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I use Firefox (with no non-Mozilla extensions) and the Fastmail webmail interface and it's fine.

You just have to understand that while (recent problems apart) Mozilla can test the way the code they write in extensions works, before release, there is no way that they can test extensions written (often poorly) by other people.

I am not willing to make my life harder by relying on unsupported code, so don't install extensions in the first place.
I think the key is not to have a workflow that relies on extensions. Having one or two extensions that improve your browsing experience without being essential to getting things done is OK. When necessary, disabling a misbehaving extension only takes a few seconds. For instance, I always have an ad blocker of some description, but can live without a working one for a few days if ever necessary.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 11:27 AM   #150
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I think the key is not to have a workflow that relies on extensions.
Yes as I have found that out many times.

Our problem is we find the Fastmail UI is very boring as things like themes and folder colours etc badly need updating......we are in 2019 not 2009

We miss the folder count that we can see without the hover the mouse over bit, but that is just our preferences and no one else's.

We are trying lots of new stuff but not many have the Fastmail custom-able features, I suppose using F/m for 17 or 18 years the other email services will feel strange for a while.

Last edited by Terry : 11 May 2019 at 03:29 PM.