EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Sep 2019, 06:29 AM   #1
digp
Master of the @

Cloud storage

What are you using?

I am looking to consolidate and use one provider.

I need to use dropbox as some services only work with dropbox, but the free tier is fine.

I then need a cloud storage provider where I can store everything else, photos*, backups etc.

* in an ideal world from multiple devices which back up to their own folder

What are you using and why?

I am willing to pay a reasonable amount.

Anything over 1 TB would be overkill & really I do not need more than 500gb , but proprietory is out of the q.

I have found onedrive (paid) to be wholly unreliable.
Google drive seems better - I am on the free tier - but they invade your privacy which is a big NO NO
iCloud - Apple is better than the others marginally - but iCloud has no API etc. so will not work with my backup software & I don't know of any app that would back up to iCloud from iOS devices (except the built in backup).... & cannot pick different locations depending on device

I guess what I need is something like dropbox but without the price tag. In transit and at rest encryption is required.

Last edited by digp : 7 Sep 2019 at 06:36 AM.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Sep 2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

iCloud, mainly because I'm in the Apple eco system.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2019, 03:38 PM   #3
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I gave up chasing cloud storage. Many go paid or cripple the service holding your data hostage.
I've had a lifetime subscription to box dot com for years but they've rendered it almost useless unless I upgrade.
I don't keep much in the cloud. Gmail, yandex, and mega have been very reliable. I triple encrypt anything sensitive just in case.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2019, 05:56 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Microsoft OneDrive

I find that the Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage feature works well for me. It is included with the paid Office 365 Home subscription, which allows you to share the features (including Outlook, OneNote, Word, Excel, and other Microsoft software) with 5 other members of your household. You have 1 TB of cloud storage and can install OneDrive and the Microsoft applications on multiple PC's, Mac's, and mobile (iOS, Android, Windows mobile) devices.

OneDrive works in the background and keeps local folders synchronized with cloud folders across all of your devices. You can share files or folders with others, including optional passwords and expiration dates.

This has a significant cost (about US $100/year), but you get a wide range of software and cloud storage features for all of your PC and mobile devices for up to 6 people. I have used Office 365 with OneDrive for several years and I'm very happy with the combination of features and reliability.

What did you find unreliable about OneDrive? I have no such problems.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2019, 10:33 PM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
i only use google drive, in which i am the biz user, 12 usd per month but get unlimited storage.
google drive is much faster than onedrive here. the connection speed to onedrive is very worse from me.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2019, 12:49 AM   #6
ReuvenNY

I use a service that is not really cloud storage but could be used like that and does much more - Evernote (paid). There is too much to write to truly explain what I am talking about. Your best bet is to check their site:

http://evernote.com/premium
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 07:09 AM   #7
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I think deegoo we’re offering a lifetime desalination through one of the deal websites. That is I think 100gb or more. Just google that I know there was one recently.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2019, 01:09 PM   #8
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
I think deegoo we’re offering a lifetime desalination through one of the deal websites. That is I think 100gb or more. Just google that I know there was one recently.
besides that, there is another one providing 200GB for free:
https://www.ruu.cloud/

Here baidu provides 1TB for free, China Telecom provides 6TB for free.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 01:10 PM   #9
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
But, for serious data storage, I trust only google, bought the business g suite account, 12USD per month, get unlimited storage, which I have used with about 500GB.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 12:04 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
But, for serious data storage, I trust only google,
This is the important point--unless you are only storing nonessential stuff you must choose your provider by reliability first. Lots of great sounding deals on cloud storage are out there, but do you trust these companies to be around in a few years? Microsoft, Google, and Apple will be around, probably DropBox too, but after that you begin to roll the dice on whether or not your precious stuff in the cloud is really safe and will be available for decades to come.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2022, 08:41 PM   #11
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
I use a service that is not really cloud storage but could be used like that and does much more - Evernote (paid). There is too much to write to truly explain what I am talking about. Your best bet is to check their site:

http://evernote.com/premium
I use both Evernote and Gdrive.
Evernote's note limit is 200MB and that's not enough for me
But like you said it does much more
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2022, 12:12 AM   #12
Avion

Proton Drive launched today

Quote:
The Proton Drive Free plan comes with 500 MB of storage, which you can upgrade to 1 GB by completing three simple actions. Our Free plan provides the same level of privacy and security as our paid plans. Your files will still be end-to-end encrypted at all times.
Not a large amount of storage but possibly useful.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2022, 11:18 PM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

There are paid plans for Proton Drive with up to 500GB of storage for $9.99 a month or $119.88 per year. https://proton.me/drive/pricing?product=drive
Old 24 Sep 2022, 01:15 AM   #14
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
There are paid plans for Proton Drive with up to 500GB of storage for $9.99 a month or $119.88 per year. https://proton.me/drive/pricing?product=drive
Why pay $120 for 500GB when for (more or less) the same price Google gives you 2TB?
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2022, 01:58 AM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Why pay $120 for 500GB when for (more or less) the same price Google gives you 2TB?
I agree that Google is a better deal, but some want the supposed advantages of Proton Drive's encryption. Google's paid Workspace accounts offer the option of encrypting your files too: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/10519333