EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Aug 2020, 10:03 PM   #1
sharjeelsayed

Fastmail Calendar default reminders is broken

I have default reminders set in preferences to email me reminders for timed and all-day events but I never get those email.
This problem is specifically for events created via a connected 3rd party CalDAV client like macOS Calendar or Fantastical and for iCal Subscriptions events e.g. Todoist.
Events created via the Fastmail web events seem to get email reminders as per the default reminders setting in preferences (Settings->Customize->Preferences)

I have emailed Fastmail support about this, but they haven't responded.

Has anyone else faced this issue?
sharjeelsayed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Aug 2020, 10:46 PM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

A 3rd party CalDAV client most probably needs an App Password. Have you configured one this way? App Passwords are setup via the web interface (Settings | Password & Security).

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2020, 03:22 AM   #3
sharjeelsayed

Of course I did that. Thats how I get to see those iCal Calendar and the Fastmail calendars on the 3rd Party client
sharjeelsayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2020, 07:10 AM   #4
pjroutledge

My experience is not inconsistent with yours, but I only expect the default reminders to work as part of creating calendar events in Fastmail itself (even if the calendar synced from elsewhere).

I expect calendar events created elsewhere (whether a CalDAV calendar that is synced with Fastmail or a Fastmail calendar that I update from a 3rd party app) to have exactly the same reminders in Fastmail that I enter as part of creating the event in that 3rd party app, including 'No Reminder' or 'None'.

Fastmail's calendars seem to be doing this correctly (at least according to my expectation).
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2020, 08:17 PM   #5
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharjeelsayed View Post
I have default reminders set in preferences to email me reminders for timed and all-day events but I never get those email.
This problem is specifically for events created via a connected 3rd party CalDAV client like macOS Calendar or Fantastical and for iCal Subscriptions events e.g. Todoist.
Events created via the Fastmail web events seem to get email reminders as per the default reminders setting in preferences (Settings->Customize->Preferences)

I have emailed Fastmail support about this, but they haven't responded.

Has anyone else faced this issue?
According to the spec, https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4791, transferring preferences in excess of calendar objects (events...) using the CalDAV protocol is not a RFCed standard but is usually done using non-default extensions. For example, not even calendar colours are actually standardized in a RFC (but most clients follow the Apple "standard").

This means, that the behaviour you desire cannot be expected from any client that supports the CalDAV standard by default, it could be implemented using custom metadata which client and server would have to agree on. If the feature is present in macOS Calendar's implementation, and Fastmail would just need to confirm and implement it, this could be a worthwhile feature request you could field through Fastmail support. If no contract exists between client and server, the local preferences apply when creating calendar objects, like default reminders defined by the Fastmail web calendar or e.g. the Google Calendar app. Which is why this feature might be present and work seamlessly in integrated app ecosystems, like Apple's iCloud or Google's Calendar.

In practice, I haven't seen this feature before on 3rd party clients, on mobile I use Fastmail <> DAVx5 sync app <> Google Calendar and there sync of default reminders is also not available. If it was a low hanging fruit, I'd have imagined it would have been implemented here already.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote