EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Apr 2007, 03:11 AM   #1
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

FastMail vs. Webmail.US

This debate has been engaged several times, but as someone who now has used both extensively, I'd like to give my opinion here.

I jumped ship from Fastmail after one of the extended server failures. I wanted something more reliable and stable. I chose Webmail.US. Webmail US had a great reputation, snazzy interface, and five user accounts to distribute to family members. It also has the RSS feature, which I found really attractive.

Looking back however, I miss the simplicity of Fastmail. Fastmail doesn't have the corporate look and feel of Webmail.US, but it is FAST. I've also had a LOT of problems with composing messages in Webmail, getting a "user error" message while typing. I had to start all over again. I don't recall any such problems with Fastmail.

Webmail isn't bad at all -- I'm using it presently for all my professional email. I'm just not sure that it is better than FastMail. In fact, I actually may switch my domain back to Fastmail when time comes to renew my annual service contract.

In short, as a frequent, heavy user of email for personal and professional communication, I see WebMail.US as very good, and FastMail as better. Each one has its pros and cons, but Fastmail emerges the best of the two overall.

CS
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Apr 2007, 04:28 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSaint;
I jumped ship from Fastmail after one of the extended server failures. I wanted something more reliable and stable. I chose Webmail.US. Webmail US had a great reputation, snazzy interface, and five user accounts to distribute to family members. It also has the RSS feature, which I found really attractive.

Looking back however, I miss the simplicity of Fastmail.
I also jumped ship and moved to Tuffmail for a year, which in a few ways is superior to Fastmail.

I moved back to Fastmail because I missed some of their easy to use unique features (available on their web interface) I guess I am not going back to using a client, although I thought I might like to when I first moved away from Fastmail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:27 AM   #3
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I also jumped ship and moved to Tuffmail for a year, which in a few ways is superior to Fastmail.

I moved back to Fastmail because I missed some of their easy to use unique features (available on their web interface) I guess I am not going back to using a client, although I thought I might like to when I first moved away from Fastmail.
Same here, Fastmail -> Tuffmail, but I'm still with Tuffmail, but I may switch back to Fastmail once they have their Family/Business plans going. I still use Fastmail's SMTP servers though, just because sending to Hotmail via Tuffmail's SMTP is nigh impossible.

I do like Horde plus Tuffmail's MX level spam filtering (AMAZING) not to mention real-time reports, but for a family they're getting too expensive (rates increased a little while ago).
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:35 AM   #4
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

What's the news with the family/business plan at Fastmail? Not having used them for a bit, I haven't heard a thing. I'm even MORE interested now!

CS
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 06:08 AM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSaint View Post
What's the news with the family/business plan at Fastmail? Not having used them for a bit, I haven't heard a thing. I'm even MORE interested now!
There was discussion of this a few weeks ago - here
David is offline   Reply With Quote