EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Apr 2014, 09:38 AM   #1
brjohnsmith

Exclamation Pop - Imap

Hi,
my company uses as e-mail protocol POP . We know the disadvantages in using this protocol instead of IMAP or Exchange. In this case, POP, the e-mails are downloaded from the server, and once downloaded you are not able to see the e-mails except by the computer used to download the e-mails. It is the same thing when we are talking about to send e-mail (SMTP). So, in order to have organized the e-mails, does anyone know if there are software or services where I can send the e-mail as the company domain, and to be able to see the e-mails received and sent it. In short, the idea is to use a software or services as intermediate, and all e-mails are received, answered and sent as if were the company.
I would like to find out a way to see the e-mails, receive in real-time and send the e-mails without losing the control to see the e-mails anytime, anywhere, even if the company uses POP protocol.
I would appreciate any assistence about it.
tks.
brjohnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Apr 2014, 11:16 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

The only way to do this without any restrictions is for the email domain (the part to the right of the @ in the address) to be hosted by an email provider which supports IMAP, or to set up all POP clients to leave messages on the server, or to use webmail. You can configure most POP email clients to leave some or all messages on the server, so that would allow you to use POP and IMAP and webmail together.

You can configure any From email address in most email clients (and many but not all email provider webmail systems). Depending on any SPF records for your domain (and other email reputation issues), such emails might be delivered or might be blocked or treated as spam.

Receiving email for a domain requires the following:
  • The domain DNS records need to point to the receiving email system, and that system must be configured for that domain. So you can move email operation from one provider to another, although it may be difficult to move existing messages stored on the server to the new system, depending on the email providers. Email service is reasonably inexpensive for small companies.
  • An email client (or webmail) which has the proper login credentials (username and password) must log into the email system and use POP or IMAP to read new and existing messages.
  • Some (but not all) email providers allow you to forward email to another email address. This can allow you to read email using another email provider, and as described above you may be able to send from that secondary email provider.
I'm guessing from your comments that you don't personally control the email domain or main email account, but are just a user of a company's email system. If this is the case, I think you will have three choices:
  • Use webmail (if it exists) for your company's email.
  • Forward the email to another email account at a different provider who supplies IMAP service (if forwarding is allowed).
  • Set all email clients which log into that email account to save POP messages on the server. The server may have limitations on this, such as only leaving messages for a certain number of days on the server.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 12:35 AM   #3
brjohnsmith

Hi Bill,

thank you for your information and answer.

the idea to remain the e-emails at the server, it would be an option, however, I need to solve the problem when I send e-mail to someone using any device. In this case, I need to send a copy for myself.
to use webmail, it also it would be other solution, but as it is a fórum, I thought that anyone had this experience or other information.
Another way that I thought it would be use GMAIL as an intermediate account. The problem on it, it is that when I send e-mail to someone, the information: on behalf of, appears on the e-mail, besides this, when I send the email, this e-mail is not stored in sent box - I dont know why.

Anyway, thank you again for your suggestion and if anyone have other hints, I would appreciate it a lot.

tis.
brjohnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 07:23 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If you use Fastmail (which has a sub-forum here at EMD), you can specify that copies of all outgoing messages are saved. Here is how this works:
  • Your email client connects to the Fastmail SMTP server and sends an email using the From address of your company.
  • The Fastmail system can be preconfigured to notice which From address is being used on each session, and it can save a copy of the message on the Fastmail IMAP server. You can read it later via webmail or an IMAP or POP email client.
  • As mentioned in my earlier post, the reputation of emails sent in this manner may be low in some cases, since they are being sent by an email server different from the From domain. SPF and DKIM are features which help maintain email reputation, and in this case the published SPF records for the sending domain can specify which servers are allowed to send email for that domain.
  • The domain owner has control over the reputation of their domain. If they choose to not allow other systems to send email using their domain name, such messages can be blocked as spam. For example, if you sent a message back to someone at your company using this method the servers might block the message.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote