EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: Do you find the “Bounce” button useful?
Yes, it is useful. Please leave it the way it is. (Please explain how it is useful) 22 33.85%
No, it is useless the way it. Either fix it or if it is not possible then remove it 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:05 PM   #1
mail2me
Master of the @

Bounce button

One good development that I was not aware is that now a copy of the original message that was bounced goes to the Trash Can instead of Deleting permanently. This is good because I lost one by accidentally clicking on the bounce button.

The bounce button for me is useless for the following reasons:
1) It doesn’t state the email that the message was addressed to as the non-existent email address.
2) It cannot be used even for the FastMail’s primary email address because the non-existent is always stated as <user>fastmail.fm instead of <user>@<home domain>.

So I have no use of it whatsoever since my FastMail address does not have the “fastmail.fm” domain. Since changing or fixing has been stated as a very complicated task, I think don’t see any value in having such a button at all.

I am interested in seeing how many users actually want this button. How and for what reason it is useful.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Oct 2002, 09:25 PM   #2
Gankaku

I'd like to see this button work in the way intended. It's what drew me to sign up for Fastmail in the first place. When I found it doesn't work as expected, I was disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised with the rest of the service though. I'd like to see this button fixed or removed.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2002, 05:29 AM   #3
arw4f

I can manually create a 'bounce' message from some generic 'mailer-daemon' type address at my own domain. It's a pain though because I have to paste in the text of the message in and change the default from address.

I don't use this method or the current bounce feature on spam. Just occasionally to bouce back mail that was erroneously addressed to a person thought to have email at my domain. (really doing more of a service to the sender and intended addressee vs. boucing spam...which would typically be out of disdain)

IMO the bounce feature would be nice - but I would like J&R&K to focus on speed and stability. Once they're satisfied that is where it needs to be ... things like enhancing 'bounce' would be cool.
arw4f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2002, 06:41 AM   #4
mail2me
Master of the @

From what I have gathered this is virtually impossible or too complicated to fix and the time invested is not worth it even to look at it. So your options are either to have this non-functional but harmful button which is of nearly no use to anyone except for decorating the screen space and also being annoyance in having to avoid clicking on it accidently or to have it removed at least till or if ever a fix is possible.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 09:12 AM   #5
reuben
Essential Contributor

i would also like to see a "bounce" button of a different nature -- the way you typically thing of "bounce" in email --

i.e.

you recieve a message from person a, you "bounce" it to person b, and it shows up in person b's inbox, but w/ a "from" header of person a, and a "To" header of person b.
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2002, 09:25 AM   #6
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by reuben
i would also like to see a "bounce" button of a different nature -- the way you typically thing of "bounce" in email --

i.e.

you recieve a message from person a, you "bounce" it to person b, and it shows up in person b's inbox, but w/ a "from" header of person a, and a "To" header of person b.
That is already available. Try Redirect.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 11:04 AM   #7
mlevin
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by arw4f
I can manually create a 'bounce' message from some generic 'mailer-daemon' type address at my own domain. It's a pain though because I have to paste in the text of the message in and change the default from address.
Making the feature intelligent enough to do that might be difficult, but what about a poor man's version? A little text field next to the bounce button where you can type the address you want it to say doesn't exist. That wouldn't be too hard to do.
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2002, 11:08 AM   #8
mlevin

Sort of related to the topic: what about a "forward to SpamCop as an attachment" button? Maybe it could be pre-configured in the preferences with the user's personalized SpamCop address(es) and then there could be a drop-down so you could choose which address to use. I think there was some talk of a SpamCop button a while ago...
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2002, 11:14 AM   #9
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mlevin
Making the feature intelligent enough to do that might be difficult, but what about a poor man's version? A little text field next to the bounce button where you can type the address you want it to say doesn't exist. That wouldn't be too hard to do.
That is a good idea. Infact I have suggested this too many times.

The bounce button was also part of my initial attraction to FastMail, but that maybe partly because I was already familiar with such a button at my Address.com account at that time in addition to being able to change the email address. But now that I am wiser, I see that this button actually does harm instead of good to innocent victims who are unaware of what it does. A text box to enter the email address that we would like the message to appear as being bounced from is a good solution.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 12:50 AM   #10
Dave P in StLouis

Smile While we're on the subject

While we're on the subject, I'd like to be able to set up rules that will "bounce" messages automatically instead of rejecting them. Perhaps something for "Coming Enhancements?"

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2002, 05:25 AM   #11
reuben
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me
That is already available. Try Redirect.
perfect, thank you. i then change my request to making that function available, as well as the delete permanently function available on the Message View Screen.

thanks!
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2002, 01:45 AM   #12
jamesrskemp

Smile Bounce feature now isn't that bad...

I don't know... I hear a lot about how the bounce feature needs to be changed, but I'm just not that convinced...

Compared to the 30 spams a day I get at my main yahoo account, and my multiple spams I used to get at my main hotmail account (before I let it expire, and then reopen it...), I get 0, zero, spams at Fastmail...

Okay, I have gotten a few, I think... 5 or 6 since I've had my account, and my email is posted on my site... The bounce feature, when used on the few spams I did get, must have worked, since I have had no other problems... In fact, I think I've been spam free this month, so far, and was spam free for most of last month...

No, I do not have more then one fastmail account, yes, I paid the one time $14.95 to become a member... Now, maybe the fact that I don't have more then one account, that I don't have my mail forwarded to my account (therefore limiting the usefulness of the bounce feature), is a big factor, I don't know...

I don't know... I suppose it could be added to, but... I wouldn't go so far as to say that it needs to be fixed... it works great for me, and a lot of other people as well...

~james
jamesrskemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2002, 03:37 PM   #13
Yuyo
Essential Contributor

I find the bounce button useful when you don't want to receive email from certain people. It may not deter spammers, but it makes it easy to convince what I call email intruders that they got the wrong address.

Email intruders are people who do not spam you, i.e., try to sell you anything, but write to you when you have had no desire to hear from them.
Yuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2002, 09:39 PM   #14
jamesrskemp

Wink Heh ;)...

Interesting that you say that Yuyo, that's what I've done a few times...

But for me, it still works against spam...

~james
jamesrskemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2002, 09:51 PM   #15
iansz

I don't use my fastmail.fm email address, but rather my own domain name using email forwarding so it is currently useless.
iansz is offline   Reply With Quote