EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 3 Nov 2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Merovingian
Master of the @

own domain universal usernames

In setting up my own domain for mail service, what type of "universal" usernames or aliases do most use?
I know " webmaster @---------" , and " postmaster @----------" are pretty universal, but what other usernames or aliases are common?
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Nov 2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
.... but what other usernames or aliases are common?
abuse@....................
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2007, 08:33 AM   #3
filtered

help@....................
support@....................
filtered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
admin(s)
administrator(s)
system
tech(s)
techsupport(s)
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2007, 09:25 AM   #5
amitraj

info@....................
amitraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Merovingian
Master of the @

Great suggestions, all of them. I made note of them all. Thanks!
Also, what about generic recipient boxes, such as:
" mail@........"
" inbox@......"

Any other suggestions? (I appreciate all of these, I'm not so creative).
Old 3 Nov 2007, 11:20 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Exclamation Common names lead to spam

From personal experience, I will warn you that all of these common addresses are some of the most common ones used by spammers. I had to remove wildcard aliases at my domain due to this problem. So use unusual addresses if want to reduce dictionary spam to your domain!

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2007, 12:09 AM   #8
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
How about restrict usernames to 6 characters and above?
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2007, 12:40 AM   #9
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
From personal experience, I will warn you that all of these common addresses are some of the most common ones used by spammers. I had to remove wildcard aliases at my domain due to this problem. So use unusual addresses if want to reduce dictionary spam to your domain!
Bill
I hadn't considered this......
thanks for the info. Will it make a difference if the domain/tld is quite unusual?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 01:50 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Most domains eventually get targeted for spam attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
... Will it make a difference if the domain/tld is quite unusual?
I don't think so. Your domain name will eventually fall into their hands via email skimming or a website link. The spammer then uses a dictionary attack to send messages to common local-parts (the part of the address before the @). My guess is this is totally automated and that you might go for a few hours or a few years before some spammer finds your domain and randomly tries the commonly used addresses. The spammers send out millions of emails hoping for just a few hits, and the more common the local-part you use for your addresses the more spam you will get. It's hard to predict -- you might get zero or hundreds a day, depending on how hard spammers target your domain.

So you should use an email system with good spam filtering for your domain. I have found that the current Fastmail spam filtering features work very well for my domain. If your email system allows address book whitelisting, you should use this feature to insure that you receive all emails from desired senders.

Bill
Old 4 Nov 2007, 03:14 AM   #11
theog
= Permanently banned =

I use a domain with the word "spam" in front of the @ for my domains and sites I might not trust... it has 0 spam in it.... My only guess is that maybe spammers filter out that word? I'm a bit surprised since I have over 100 domains and have used that email for years (maybe 5 or 6 years). No filters or spam control on it.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2007, 03:48 AM   #12
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
I don't think so. Your domain name will eventually fall into their hands via email skimming or a website link. The spammer then uses a dictionary attack to send messages to common local-parts (the part of the address before the @). My guess is this is totally automated and that you might go for a few hours or a few years before some spammer finds your domain and randomly tries the commonly used addresses. The spammers send out millions of emails hoping for just a few hits, and the more common the local-part you use for your addresses the more spam you will get. It's hard to predict -- you might get zero or hundreds a day, depending on how hard spammers target your domain.Bill
..sounds bleak and gloomy

BUT -- I am using Fastmail to host what domains I do have, and they seem to be doing a very good job with the per-user setup. I get minimal spam in my spam folder and non in my inbox. Hooray Fastmail !
Old 4 Nov 2007, 03:49 AM   #13
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
I use a domain with the word "spam" in front of the @ for my domains and sites I might not trust... it has 0 spam in it.... My only guess is that maybe spammers filter out that word? I'm a bit surprised since I have over 100 domains and have used that email for years (maybe 5 or 6 years). No filters or spam control on it.
That's quite interesting! I will have to try something similar to see how it goes for me.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 05:55 AM   #14
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

My feeling is that there are no guarantees about spam. Certain behaviors can make it easier for the spammers to get to you, but there is no magic method for excluding them from your domain. My problem with using a local-part containing "spam" is that some recipients may accidentally or purposefully filter out manually or automatically email from such a name. But it's your domain, and you can do with it what you will.

Bill
Old 4 Nov 2007, 07:36 AM   #15
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
My feeling is that there are no guarantees about spam. Certain behaviors can make it easier for the spammers to get to you, but there is no magic method for excluding them from your domain. My problem with using a local-part containing "spam" is that some recipients may accidentally or purposefully filter out manually or automatically email from such a name. But it's your domain, and you can do with it what you will.

Bill
In my case I use it for domains and other stuff where I'm expecting a return email immediately. Like I said, been using it for years without any issues… but yes, I see your point, if you were to use the domain as a “regular” domain it might get filtered. I could see the word spam getting trapped in some custom filters if in the headers. Lol…

In my case, I don’t care since if I think someone has sent a help request (not support, but help) and I think it is spam, but I want to answer (just in case), I’ll send it from there… been doing it for years…

I don’t know why I don’t get any spam on it…. Maybe I should take one of my other domains and put the same name before the @ and post it all over the net and see what happens. lol
theog is offline   Reply With Quote