EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 12 Dec 2007, 12:31 AM   #1
CJ4331

LavaBit, MailShack, NerdShack not delivering any mail to me!

I've been using MailShack/NerdShack since the summer of 2005. But I stopped getting email about 12/3 or 12/5. I thought it was unusual I hadn't gotten anything so yesterday I sent myself mail from my employer. It never arrived at MailShack. I tried sending from a yahoo account and it never arrived at MailShack either. I can't seem to receive any mail at MailShack. I can send from MailShack fine. I'm still using POP3 to get them and have each of the 3 pcs that pick up mail leave it on the server for 3 days--giving time for all of them to pick up each new message. None of them are picking anything up. I sent a message via contact us to LavaBit support giving my work email address but haven't heard anything. Anyone know what's up? I went into preferences just awhile ago and set everything to the least restrictive settings and tried again and still nothing.
CJ4331 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Dec 2007, 12:44 AM   #2
filtered

I have had similar problems.

I have a fastmail account set to forward a copy of all mail received to my Lavabit account. In the past week or 2 about 20% of that mail is making it to my Lavabit account the rest has simply vanished without a trace.

All settings at Lavabit are either disabled or set to "mark" mail, and nothing is set to delete.
filtered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 12:51 AM   #3
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I started my own thread about it here in EMD too.

Welcome to the EMD. Hope you will like it here.

I'm not representative of the expertize here. I post too often and have not much to say. So take all from me with a big caution.

I wrote to support at lavabit dot com and asked and they seems to have problem.

They have asked for advice here in tech threads. So they seems to be working on a solution but it seems to take times.

Have you logged in and change preferences?

They recommend me to not have it set to the highest. I try to find links to the text. I get back.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...8&postcount=17

As filtered show it doesn't help. So lavabit must find better solutions to it.

Quote:
You might want to login to the preferences portal:

https://lavabit.com/apps/preferences

And make sure you have all your enabled spam checks set to 'MARK'. If any of them are set to REJECT or DELETE, the messages won't reach your Inbox.

Last edited by drew : 13 Dec 2007 at 09:21 AM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 11:59 AM   #4
CJ4331

I set all the preferences to disable just in case but still no email.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 02:00 PM   #5
drew
The "e" in e-mail

It is very frustrating. I was happy me had only given that address out to forums so it was easy to just give them my AIM or GMX instead and then all worked as expected. Many hours now but still no email have arrived in my lavabit. I sent three pop Smtp and one web mail to it and none of them have made it.

They don't bounce back either. So where are they?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Most of the mail in my (paid) Lavabit account is forwarded from my Fastmail account. I access it through IMAP. Everything has been getting through OK although the server was very slow last night.

Lavabit's status page (once you realise that's what 'Health' is) shows all to OK:

http://lavabit.com/health.html

Most odd.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 09:24 PM   #7
CJ4331

I saw their health thingie but at the very same time I could not even connect to them. I really hope they get this working soon and those back emails come in.

It's so hard to get an email address people with remember and associate with you. I finally got a great one on MailShack so I had intended to use that as my primary email forever. I'd use one with my internet provider but every few years that changes. Even the MailShack domain is great. Folks who don't know anything about it can remember it. Lavabit? If I hadn't heard of it I'd be saying, "humm I know it was JoeBlow but @ what?" IMHO.

Unfortunately before I thought about getting Wizard@NerdShack.com it was taken.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 09:23 AM   #8
drew
The "e" in e-mail

MODS maybe edit the email addy there and delete this on, my post.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Nikolaos
Essential Contributor

Same here; health and stats were supposedly great, yet pop3 and smtp were not working at all.

Better last night and today, though. A few flakeouts but I also managed to receive some mail. Haven't tried to send anything yet today.

Anybody tried to contact lavabit staff about this? Have to admit I haven't bothered, since it's not an essential account for me, but it's still sort of annoying
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2007, 12:30 PM   #10
lavabit

Representative of:
Lavabit.com
I posted a more complete reply over in the other forum, but the bug some of you were experienced was related to a logic error in our code if you had 'bounces' disabled. In theory disabling bounce messages is supposed to protect you from scatter back, by blocking all bounce messages. The bug was causing it to block messages that weren't bounce messages as well. It was a pretty serious bug, and were very sorry for any trouble it might have caused some of you.
lavabit is offline   Reply With Quote